Campy Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods?



T

Tom Nakashima

Guest
I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
Are they still obtainable?
-tom
 
B

bfd

Guest
On Apr 17, 10:16 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
> Are they still obtainable?
> -tom


Are you looking for *real* Campy gum hoods or copies? If you want real
Campy hoods, be prepared to pay:

http://bicycleclassics.com/brakes.html

However, cheaper copies are available:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBH

Note, I hear mix review re the quality of the copies. Still, at about
a 1/3 of the price you can replace more often. Good Luck!
 
T

Tom Nakashima

Guest
"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Apr 17, 10:16 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
>> Are they still obtainable?
>> -tom

>
> Are you looking for *real* Campy gum hoods or copies? If you want real
> Campy hoods, be prepared to pay:
>
> http://bicycleclassics.com/brakes.html
>
> However, cheaper copies are available:
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBH
>
> Note, I hear mix review re the quality of the copies. Still, at about
> a 1/3 of the price you can replace more often. Good Luck!
>


Thanks for the link, but WOW thought prices were suppose to get cheaper
with age. I put on my last set about 7 years ago.
-tom
 
B

bfd

Guest
On Apr 17, 10:45 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Apr 17, 10:16 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
> >> Are they still obtainable?
> >> -tom

>
> > Are you looking for *real* Campy gum hoods or copies? If you want real
> > Campy hoods, be prepared to pay:

>
> >http://bicycleclassics.com/brakes.html

>
> > However, cheaper copies are available:

>
> >http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBH

>
> > Note, I hear mix review re the quality of the copies. Still, at about
> > a 1/3 of the price you can replace more often. Good Luck!

>
> Thanks for the link, but WOW thought prices were suppose to get cheaper
> with age. I put on my last set about 7 years ago.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -
>

Yes, for the price, I take a look at the $10 Ame hoods sold by Andy
Muzi at Yellow Jersey. But, if ya gots to have "gum" colored then the
$29 Modolo ones sold by Bicycle Classics might be the way to go.

Of course, there's always Ebay too.
 
D

Donald Gillies

Guest
Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.

Campy
Type Cost Color Match Review
============================================================

Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
(NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
are very tough and i believe they will
last a long time, however, the color
is coffee with creamer, the fit is
not great, as they do not go all the
way back to the handlebars.

AME (usa) $10-$20 colors G these are made of a more durable type
(NOS) of rubber to allow various colors,
but they are almost as thick and
tough as euro-asia hoods (see above),
and they have a cracked-leather
surface.

Generic circle $16 opaque G occasionally on ebay. These
(Olimpic-Spain) brown generics have a double-circle, visible
at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
to modolo.

Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com /
(NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
in small script, visible at 12" away.
opaque color

Gipiemme $50 gum VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
(NOS - italy) translucent, with same molding marks
as campy world-logo / shield-logo, likely
made in same factory. These are real
gum and will have poor durability.

Campy shield $70 gum E www.bicycleclassics.com, www.vintage-velos.com
logo hoods, ~1982-on www.campyoldy.com, also via Euro-Asia
at several LBS's. difficult to find,
and not durable. price in $70's is
fair.

Campy world $100+ gum E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
logo hoods, ~pre-1982 difficult to find, and not durable.
(NOS)

Replica Hoods $45 gum E- translucent, a little thinner than
real campy. not durable, but would
look great on a 70's bike.

Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
E - it's campy or very close.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
_______________________________________________
 
T

Tom Nakashima

Guest
"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement
> hoods
> that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
> equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
>
> Campy
> Type Cost Color Match Review
> ============================================================
>
> Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
> (NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
> are very tough and i believe they will
> last a long time, however, the color
> is coffee with creamer, the fit is
> not great, as they do not go all the
> way back to the handlebars.
>
> AME (usa) $10-$20 colors G these are made of a more durable type
> (NOS) of rubber to allow various colors,
> but they are almost as thick and
> tough as euro-asia hoods (see above),
> and they have a cracked-leather
> surface.
>
> Generic circle $16 opaque G occasionally on ebay. These
> (Olimpic-Spain) brown generics have a double-circle, visible
> at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
> to modolo.
>
> Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com /
> (NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
> MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
> in small script, visible at 12" away.
> opaque color
>
> Gipiemme $50 gum VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
> (NOS - italy) translucent, with same molding marks
> as campy world-logo / shield-logo, likely
> made in same factory. These are real
> gum and will have poor durability.
>
> Campy shield $70 gum E www.bicycleclassics.com, www.vintage-velos.com
> logo hoods, ~1982-on www.campyoldy.com, also via Euro-Asia
> at several LBS's. difficult to find,
> and not durable. price in $70's is
> fair.
>
> Campy world $100+ gum E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
> logo hoods, ~pre-1982 difficult to find, and not durable.
> (NOS)
>
> Replica Hoods $45 gum E- translucent, a little thinner than
> real campy. not durable, but would
> look great on a 70's bike.
>
> Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
> G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
> VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
> E - it's campy or very close.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA
> _______________________________________________


Thanks Don,
lots of good refs there.
-tom
 
S

still me

Guest
On 17 Apr 2007 11:52:15 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
>that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
>equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
>


Wow... you got that for Weinmann types of hoods too ?
 
On Apr 17, 1:52 pm, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> (NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
> MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
> in small script, visible at 12" away.


I never tried to use those on my Campy levers, back in the day. Maybe
because I quit using the Campy levers after discovering Brand M.

Will the anatomic Mo-lo's fit on the Campy levers in a functional
fashion? Because they are somewhat regular offerings on ebay, for
instance, and IMHO were more comfy than the narrower Campy hoods that
I wish I had a climate-controlled storage facility full of. --D-y
 
D

Donald Gillies

Guest
The only company that I know of making new weinmann 144-compatible
hoods is Dia-Compe, and www.biketoolsetc.com has them at very
affordable prices ($5-/pair) in white and gum I think. I don't like
the dia-compe hoods on weinmann levers for three reasons, (a) They
have strange side perforations that can be punched out for cheesy
brake-lever extensions and (b) they are not much like the
higher-quality original dia-compe hoods, and (c) They have a
cracked-leather type of surface that I do not prefer.

As far as NOS, there are black & white weinmann hoods with no logos
and supposedly these are weinmann, www.sjscycles.com has them, and
they also show up on ebay from time to time, more expensive, maybe
$10/$15 per pair.

If you can find them, I like my white AME weinmann replacement hoods
the best, www.yellowjersey.org and www.sjscycles.com. also there is a
michigan ebay seller with lots of them, these are pretty soft.

70's and 60's weinmann hoods in good operating condition are even
rarer than campagnolo world-logo hoods, although they aren't as a
valuable. These say "WEINMANN" with a circle horizontally across the
pivot bolt area.

There exist 1980's gum weinmann hoods with "WEINMANN" written along the
lever body vertically; i think there is a set of these for sale on
ebay right now, and I think they are original to 605 later brake levers.

=====

Weinmann 144-style hoods do not fit properly on campagnolo brakes, and
vice-versa.

Modolo 919 (anatomic) hoods work fine on campy brakes, they just don't
look much at all like campy hoods - they make the levers look like
modolo levers, that's the only downsides. They are probably the #1
most popular replacement hood for people who think that campy hoods
are too small or too uncomfortable.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
 
S

still me

Guest
On 17 Apr 2007 16:33:35 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>The only company that I know of making new weinmann 144-compatible
>hoods is Dia-Compe, and www.biketoolsetc.com has them at very
>affordable prices ($5-/pair) in white and gum I think. I don't like
>the dia-compe hoods on weinmann levers for three reasons, (a) They
>have strange side perforations that can be punched out for cheesy
>brake-lever extensions and (b) they are not much like the
>higher-quality original dia-compe hoods, and (c) They have a
>cracked-leather type of surface that I do not prefer.
>
>As far as NOS, there are black & white weinmann hoods with no logos
>and supposedly these are weinmann, www.sjscycles.com has them, and
>they also show up on ebay from time to time, more expensive, maybe
>$10/$15 per pair.
>


Thanks Don. SJS seems to be out of black, which is what I'd like to
find. The only ones I've seen on Ebay lately are the non-logo but
allegedly authentic weinmanns from cycleartist with a $10 shipping
charge per pair... seems a bit high :)

I agree on the dia-compes. Not my favorite.
 
H

Hank Wirtz

Guest
On Apr 17, 11:52 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
> that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
> equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
>
> Campy
> Type Cost Color Match Review
> ============================================================
>
> Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
> (NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
> are very tough and i believe they will
> last a long time, however, the color
> is coffee with creamer, the fit is
> not great, as they do not go all the
> way back to the handlebars.
>


I tried a set of these a few years beck. Very, very hard plastic feel
to them. I decided to replace my Shimano 600EX non-Aero levers with
some Shimano 600 Ultegra Aero levers, which, as NOS, cost about as
much as the Euro-Asia hoods. I was also able to add some interrupter
levers at the same time.
 
J

JeffWills

Guest
On Apr 17, 10:52 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
> that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
> equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
>


*Northern* California?? Not unless there's been some major tectonic
activity without my noticing:
http://www.euroasiaimports.com/aboutus.asp

I used to work there, riding up from South Pasadena. Some summer
afternoons I'd descend back into the brown layer of Los Angeles'
finest smog.

*Sniff* I miss those days.

Jeff
 
S

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
On Apr 17, 1:16 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
> Are they still obtainable?
> -tom


Hi there.

Would a pair of Shimano Gum hoods from Shimao 600 EX brake levers (non
aero) be any use to you? I have a pair here that are in very good
condition I can send you for the price of $0.00

Let me know if you want them.

Cheers from Peter
 
T

Tom Nakashima

Guest
"Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Apr 17, 1:16 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
>> Are they still obtainable?
>> -tom

>
> Hi there.
>
> Would a pair of Shimano Gum hoods from Shimao 600 EX brake levers (non
> aero) be any use to you? I have a pair here that are in very good
> condition I can send you for the price of $0.00
>
> Let me know if you want them.
>
> Cheers from Peter
>


Thanks for the offer Peter,
but I think I'll try to find the gum hoods.
-tom
 
C

* * Chas

Guest
"still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On 17 Apr 2007 16:33:35 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
> wrote:
>
> >The only company that I know of making new weinmann 144-compatible
> >hoods is Dia-Compe, and www.biketoolsetc.com has them at very
> >affordable prices ($5-/pair) in white and gum I think. I don't like
> >the dia-compe hoods on weinmann levers for three reasons, (a) They
> >have strange side perforations that can be punched out for cheesy
> >brake-lever extensions and (b) they are not much like the
> >higher-quality original dia-compe hoods, and (c) They have a
> >cracked-leather type of surface that I do not prefer.
> >
> >As far as NOS, there are black & white weinmann hoods with no logos
> >and supposedly these are weinmann, www.sjscycles.com has them, and
> >they also show up on ebay from time to time, more expensive, maybe
> >$10/$15 per pair.
> >

>
> Thanks Don. SJS seems to be out of black, which is what I'd like to
> find. The only ones I've seen on Ebay lately are the non-logo but
> allegedly authentic weinmanns from cycleartist with a $10 shipping
> charge per pair... seems a bit high :)
>
> I agree on the dia-compes. Not my favorite.


There's a set of black plastic Raleigh Competition style currently on
eBay, also some white ones.

Chas.
 
C

* * Chas

Guest
"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement
> > hoods
> > that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of

campy
> > equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
> >
> > Campy
> > Type Cost Color Match Review
> > ============================================================
> >
> > Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
> > (NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
> > are very tough and i believe they will
> > last a long time, however, the color
> > is coffee with creamer, the fit is
> > not great, as they do not go all the
> > way back to the handlebars.
> >
> > AME (usa) $10-$20 colors G these are made of a more durable

type
> > (NOS) of rubber to allow various colors,
> > but they are almost as thick and
> > tough as euro-asia hoods (see above),
> > and they have a cracked-leather
> > surface.
> >
> > Generic circle $16 opaque G occasionally on ebay. These
> > (Olimpic-Spain) brown generics have a double-circle, visible
> > at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
> > to modolo.
> >
> > Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com /
> > (NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
> > MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
> > in small script, visible at 12" away.
> > opaque color
> >
> > Gipiemme $50 gum VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
> > (NOS - italy) translucent, with same molding marks
> > as campy world-logo / shield-logo, likely
> > made in same factory. These are real
> > gum and will have poor durability.
> >
> > Campy shield $70 gum E www.bicycleclassics.com, www.vintage-velos.com
> > logo hoods, ~1982-on www.campyoldy.com, also via Euro-Asia
> > at several LBS's. difficult to find,
> > and not durable. price in $70's is
> > fair.
> >
> > Campy world $100+ gum E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
> > logo hoods, ~pre-1982 difficult to find, and not durable.
> > (NOS)
> >
> > Replica Hoods $45 gum E- translucent, a little thinner

than
> > real campy. not durable, but would
> > look great on a 70's bike.
> >
> > Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
> > G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
> > VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
> > E - it's campy or very close.
> >
> > - Don Gillies
> > San Diego, CA
> > _______________________________________________


Don did a great review. It's right on the money. Here's another source:

http://www.universalcyclecentre.co.uk/Campagstock.htm

They're located in the UK but easy to deal with through Paypal. Mail is
cheap and takes about a week ±.

Scroll down to Brake Lever Hoods section.

"Campag S/R fitting Black plain [ Excellent Quality hard wearing ]"

I bought a set of these plain black ones to try. No logo, lightly textured
surface overall but not fake cracked leather look, tough rubber compound.
They are a little thinner than original Campys, like Modolo 920 hoods.

Chas.
 
T

Tom Nakashima

Guest
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> They're located in the UK but easy to deal with through Paypal. Mail is
> cheap and takes about a week ±.
>
> Scroll down to Brake Lever Hoods section.
>
> "Campag S/R fitting Black plain [ Excellent Quality hard wearing ]"
>
> I bought a set of these plain black ones to try. No logo, lightly textured
> surface overall but not fake cracked leather look, tough rubber compound.
> They are a little thinner than original Campys, like Modolo 920 hoods.
>
> Chas.


Thanks Chas,
think I'll stick to finding the gum color hoods.
I believe the black hoods were originally made for the Campagnolo Gran
Sport.
I found a pair of orig Campy white hoods, Croce d'Aune in a parts box I had,
as a just in case.
-tom
 
S

still me

Guest
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:50:31 -0700, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There's a set of black plastic Raleigh Competition style currently on
>eBay, also some white ones.
>
>Chas.


Chas:

Got a pointer? I checked "Raleigh", "Competition", and "Weinmann" and
I did not find them.
 
C

* * Chas

Guest
"still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:50:31 -0700, "* * Chas"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >There's a set of black plastic Raleigh Competition style currently on
> >eBay, also some white ones.
> >
> >Chas.

>
> Chas:
>
> Got a pointer? I checked "Raleigh", "Competition", and "Weinmann" and
> I did not find them.
>
>
>


Search under Brake Lever Hoods:

Brake lever hoods Weinmann black NOS

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brake-lever-hoo...3QQihZ004QQcategoryZ56197QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem


Here's some more of the same black hoods:

CARLTON (Weinmann) black brake lever hoods ( I didn't catch the price on
these (WOW!) when I first passed over them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARLTON-Weinman...1QQihZ011QQcategoryZ42331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem


Here's a set of gum hoods that look interesting also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Stanard...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Chas.