Campy Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods?

Tom Nakashima

Guest
I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
Are they still obtainable?
-tom

On Apr 17, 10:16 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
> Are they still obtainable?
> -tom

Are you looking for *real* Campy gum hoods or copies? If you want real
Campy hoods, be prepared to pay:

http://bicycleclassics.com/brakes.html

However, cheaper copies are available:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBH

Note, I hear mix review re the quality of the copies. Still, at about
a 1/3 of the price you can replace more often. Good Luck!

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 17, 10:16 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
>> Are they still obtainable?
>> -tom

> Are you looking for *real* Campy gum hoods or copies? If you want real
> Campy hoods, be prepared to pay:
>
> http://bicycleclassics.com/brakes.html
>
> However, cheaper copies are available:
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBH
>
> Note, I hear mix review re the quality of the copies. Still, at about
> a 1/3 of the price you can replace more often. Good Luck!

Thanks for the link, but WOW thought prices were suppose to get cheaper
with age. I put on my last set about 7 years ago.
-tom

On Apr 17, 10:45 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Apr 17, 10:16 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
> >> Are they still obtainable?
> >> -tom

> > Are you looking for *real* Campy gum hoods or copies? If you want real
> > Campy hoods, be prepared to pay:

> >http://bicycleclassics.com/brakes.html

> > However, cheaper copies are available:

> >http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBH

> > Note, I hear mix review re the quality of the copies. Still, at about
> > a 1/3 of the price you can replace more often. Good Luck!

> Thanks for the link, but WOW thought prices were suppose to get cheaper
> with age. I put on my last set about 7 years ago.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -

Yes, for the price, I take a look at the $10 Ame hoods sold by Andy
Muzi at Yellow Jersey. But, if ya gots to have "gum" colored then the
$29 Modolo ones sold by Bicycle Classics might be the way to go.

Of course, there's always Ebay too.

Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.

Campy
Type Cost Color Match Review

Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
(NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
are very tough and i believe they will
last a long time, however, the color
is coffee with creamer, the fit is
not great, as they do not go all the
way back to the handlebars.

AME (usa) $10-$20 colors G these are made of a more durable type
(NOS) of rubber to allow various colors,
but they are almost as thick and
tough as euro-asia hoods (see above),
and they have a cracked-leather
surface.

Generic circle $16 opaque G occasionally on ebay. These
(Olimpic-Spain) brown generics have a double-circle, visible
at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
to modolo.

Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com /
(NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
in small script, visible at 12" away.
opaque color

Gipiemme $50 gum VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
(NOS - italy) translucent, with same molding marks
as campy world-logo / shield-logo, likely
made in same factory. These are real
gum and will have poor durability.

Campy shield $70 gum E www.bicycleclassics.com, www.vintage-velos.com
logo hoods, ~1982-on www.campyoldy.com, also via Euro-Asia
at several LBS's. difficult to find,
and not durable. price in $70's is
fair.

Campy world $100+ gum E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
logo hoods, ~pre-1982 difficult to find, and not durable.
(NOS)

Replica Hoods $45 gum E- translucent, a little thinner than
real campy. not durable, but would
look great on a 70's bike.

Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
E - it's campy or very close.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement
> hoods
> that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
> equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
>
> Campy
> Type Cost Color Match Review
>
> Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
> (NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
> are very tough and i believe they will
> last a long time, however, the color
> is coffee with creamer, the fit is
> not great, as they do not go all the
> way back to the handlebars.
>
> AME (usa) $10-$20 colors G these are made of a more durable type
> (NOS) of rubber to allow various colors,
> but they are almost as thick and
> tough as euro-asia hoods (see above),
> and they have a cracked-leather
> surface.
>
> Generic circle $16 opaque G occasionally on ebay. These
> (Olimpic-Spain) brown generics have a double-circle, visible
> at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
> to modolo.
>
> Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com /
> (NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
> MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
> in small script, visible at 12" away.
> opaque color
>
> Gipiemme $50 gum VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
> (NOS - italy) translucent, with same molding marks
> as campy world-logo / shield-logo, likely
> made in same factory. These are real
> gum and will have poor durability.
>
> Campy shield $70 gum E www.bicycleclassics.com, www.vintage-velos.com
> logo hoods, ~1982-on www.campyoldy.com, also via Euro-Asia
> at several LBS's. difficult to find,
> and not durable. price in $70's is
> fair.
>
> Campy world $100+ gum E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
> logo hoods, ~pre-1982 difficult to find, and not durable.
> (NOS)
>
> Replica Hoods $45 gum E- translucent, a little thinner than
> real campy. not durable, but would
> look great on a 70's bike.
>
> Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
> G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
> VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
> E - it's campy or very close.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Thanks Don,
lots of good refs there.
-tom

On 17 Apr 2007 11:52:15 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
>that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
>equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.

Wow... you got that for Weinmann types of hoods too ?

On Apr 17, 1:52 pm, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> (NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
> MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
> in small script, visible at 12" away.

I never tried to use those on my Campy levers, back in the day. Maybe
because I quit using the Campy levers after discovering Brand M.

Will the anatomic Mo-lo's fit on the Campy levers in a functional
fashion? Because they are somewhat regular offerings on ebay, for
instance, and IMHO were more comfy than the narrower Campy hoods that
I wish I had a climate-controlled storage facility full of. --D-y

The only company that I know of making new weinmann 144-compatible
hoods is Dia-Compe, and www.biketoolsetc.com has them at very
affordable prices ($5-/pair) in white and gum I think. I don't like
the dia-compe hoods on weinmann levers for three reasons, (a) They
have strange side perforations that can be punched out for cheesy
brake-lever extensions and (b) they are not much like the
higher-quality original dia-compe hoods, and (c) They have a
cracked-leather type of surface that I do not prefer.

As far as NOS, there are black & white weinmann hoods with no logos
and supposedly these are weinmann, www.sjscycles.com has them, and
they also show up on ebay from time to time, more expensive, maybe
$10/$15 per pair.

If you can find them, I like my white AME weinmann replacement hoods
the best, www.yellowjersey.org and www.sjscycles.com. also there is a
michigan ebay seller with lots of them, these are pretty soft.

70's and 60's weinmann hoods in good operating condition are even
rarer than campagnolo world-logo hoods, although they aren't as a
valuable. These say "WEINMANN" with a circle horizontally across the
pivot bolt area.

There exist 1980's gum weinmann hoods with "WEINMANN" written along the
lever body vertically; i think there is a set of these for sale on
ebay right now, and I think they are original to 605 later brake levers.

=====

Weinmann 144-style hoods do not fit properly on campagnolo brakes, and
vice-versa.

Modolo 919 (anatomic) hoods work fine on campy brakes, they just don't
look much at all like campy hoods - they make the levers look like
modolo levers, that's the only downsides. They are probably the #1
most popular replacement hood for people who think that campy hoods
are too small or too uncomfortable.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On 17 Apr 2007 16:33:35 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>The only company that I know of making new weinmann 144-compatible
>hoods is Dia-Compe, and www.biketoolsetc.com has them at very
>affordable prices ($5-/pair) in white and gum I think. I don't like
>the dia-compe hoods on weinmann levers for three reasons, (a) They
>have strange side perforations that can be punched out for cheesy
>brake-lever extensions and (b) they are not much like the
>higher-quality original dia-compe hoods, and (c) They have a
>cracked-leather type of surface that I do not prefer.
>
>As far as NOS, there are black & white weinmann hoods with no logos
>and supposedly these are weinmann, www.sjscycles.com has them, and
>they also show up on ebay from time to time, more expensive, maybe
>$10/$15 per pair.

Thanks Don. SJS seems to be out of black, which is what I'd like to
find. The only ones I've seen on Ebay lately are the non-logo but
allegedly authentic weinmanns from cycleartist with a $10 shipping
charge per pair... seems a bit high :)

I agree on the dia-compes. Not my favorite.

On Apr 17, 11:52 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
> that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
> equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
>
> Campy
> Type Cost Color Match Review
>
> Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
> (NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
> are very tough and i believe they will
> last a long time, however, the color
> is coffee with creamer, the fit is
> not great, as they do not go all the
> way back to the handlebars.

I tried a set of these a few years beck. Very, very hard plastic feel
to them. I decided to replace my Shimano 600EX non-Aero levers with
some Shimano 600 Ultegra Aero levers, which, as NOS, cost about as
much as the Euro-Asia hoods. I was also able to add some interrupter
levers at the same time.

On Apr 17, 10:52 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement hoods
> that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of campy
> equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.

*Northern* California?? Not unless there's been some major tectonic
activity without my noticing:
http://www.euroasiaimports.com/aboutus.asp

I used to work there, riding up from South Pasadena. Some summer
afternoons I'd descend back into the brown layer of Los Angeles'
finest smog.

*Sniff* I miss those days.

Jeff

On Apr 17, 1:16 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
> Are they still obtainable?
> -tom

Hi there.

Would a pair of Shimano Gum hoods from Shimao 600 EX brake levers (non
aero) be any use to you? I have a pair here that are in very good
condition I can send you for the price of $0.00

Let me know if you want them.

Cheers from Peter

"Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 17, 1:16 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm looking for the Campagnolo Nuovo Gum Brake Hoods (non aero)
>> Are they still obtainable?
>> -tom

> Hi there.
>
> Would a pair of Shimano Gum hoods from Shimao 600 EX brake levers (non
> aero) be any use to you? I have a pair here that are in very good
> condition I can send you for the price of $0.00
>
> Let me know if you want them.
>
> Cheers from Peter

Thanks for the offer Peter,
but I think I'll try to find the gum hoods.
-tom

"still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 17 Apr 2007 16:33:35 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
> wrote:
>
> >The only company that I know of making new weinmann 144-compatible
> >hoods is Dia-Compe, and www.biketoolsetc.com has them at very
> >affordable prices ($5-/pair) in white and gum I think. I don't like
> >the dia-compe hoods on weinmann levers for three reasons, (a) They
> >have strange side perforations that can be punched out for cheesy
> >brake-lever extensions and (b) they are not much like the
> >higher-quality original dia-compe hoods, and (c) They have a
> >cracked-leather type of surface that I do not prefer.
> >
> >As far as NOS, there are black & white weinmann hoods with no logos
> >and supposedly these are weinmann, www.sjscycles.com has them, and
> >they also show up on ebay from time to time, more expensive, maybe
> >$10/$15 per pair.
> >

> Thanks Don. SJS seems to be out of black, which is what I'd like to
> find. The only ones I've seen on Ebay lately are the non-logo but
> allegedly authentic weinmanns from cycleartist with a $10 shipping
> charge per pair... seems a bit high :)
>
> I agree on the dia-compes. Not my favorite.

There's a set of black plastic Raleigh Competition style currently on
eBay, also some white ones.

Chas.

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement
> > hoods
> > that I have tried. Euro-Asia is a northern california wholesaler of

campy
> > equipment that has been in business since the early 1970's.
> >
> > Campy
> > Type Cost Color Match Review
> >
> > Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com, and ebay. These
> > (NOS) brown are the most affordable hoods. They
> > are very tough and i believe they will
> > last a long time, however, the color
> > is coffee with creamer, the fit is
> > not great, as they do not go all the
> > way back to the handlebars.
> >
> > AME (usa) $10-$20 colors G these are made of a more durable

type
> > (NOS) of rubber to allow various colors,
> > but they are almost as thick and
> > tough as euro-asia hoods (see above),
> > and they have a cracked-leather
> > surface.
> >
> > Generic circle $16 opaque G occasionally on ebay. These
> > (Olimpic-Spain) brown generics have a double-circle, visible
> > at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
> > to modolo.
> >
> > Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com /
> > (NOS - italy) brown www.yellowjersey.org. NOT THE ANATOMIC
> > MOODELS. Soft and pliable, "modolo"
> > in small script, visible at 12" away.
> > opaque color
> >
> > Gipiemme $50 gum VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
> > (NOS - italy) translucent, with same molding marks
> > as campy world-logo / shield-logo, likely
> > made in same factory. These are real
> > gum and will have poor durability.
> >
> > Campy shield $70 gum E www.bicycleclassics.com, www.vintage-velos.com
> > logo hoods, ~1982-on www.campyoldy.com, also via Euro-Asia
> > at several LBS's. difficult to find,
> > and not durable. price in $70's is
> > fair.
> >
> > Campy world $100+ gum E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
> > logo hoods, ~pre-1982 difficult to find, and not durable.
> > (NOS)
> >
> > Replica Hoods $45 gum E- translucent, a little thinner

than
> > real campy. not durable, but would
> > look great on a 70's bike.
> >
> > Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
> > G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
> > VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
> > E - it's campy or very close.
> >
> > - Don Gillies
> > San Diego, CA

Don did a great review. It's right on the money. Here's another source:

http://www.universalcyclecentre.co.uk/Campagstock.htm

They're located in the UK but easy to deal with through Paypal. Mail is
cheap and takes about a week ±.

Scroll down to Brake Lever Hoods section.

"Campag S/R fitting Black plain [ Excellent Quality hard wearing ]"

I bought a set of these plain black ones to try. No logo, lightly textured
surface overall but not fake cracked leather look, tough rubber compound.
They are a little thinner than original Campys, like Modolo 920 hoods.

Chas.

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> They're located in the UK but easy to deal with through Paypal. Mail is
> cheap and takes about a week ±.
>
> Scroll down to Brake Lever Hoods section.
>
> "Campag S/R fitting Black plain [ Excellent Quality hard wearing ]"
>
> I bought a set of these plain black ones to try. No logo, lightly textured
> surface overall but not fake cracked leather look, tough rubber compound.
> They are a little thinner than original Campys, like Modolo 920 hoods.
>
> Chas.

Thanks Chas,
think I'll stick to finding the gum color hoods.
I believe the black hoods were originally made for the Campagnolo Gran
Sport.
I found a pair of orig Campy white hoods, Croce d'Aune in a parts box I had,
as a just in case.
-tom

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:50:31 -0700, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There's a set of black plastic Raleigh Competition style currently on
>eBay, also some white ones.
>
>Chas.

Chas:

Got a pointer? I checked "Raleigh", "Competition", and "Weinmann" and
I did not find them.

"still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:50:31 -0700, "* * Chas"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >There's a set of black plastic Raleigh Competition style currently on
> >eBay, also some white ones.
> >
> >Chas.

> Chas:
>
> Got a pointer? I checked "Raleigh", "Competition", and "Weinmann" and
> I did not find them.

Search under Brake Lever Hoods:

Brake lever hoods Weinmann black NOS

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brake-lever-hoo...3QQihZ004QQcategoryZ56197QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's some more of the same black hoods:

CARLTON (Weinmann) black brake lever hoods ( I didn't catch the price on
these (WOW!) when I first passed over them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARLTON-Weinman...1QQihZ011QQcategoryZ42331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a set of gum hoods that look interesting also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Stanard...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Chas.