Campy or Shimano?

i ride shimano, but calling Campy "groupos from hell . . ." is a bit of a stretch.

Originally posted by drewski
calling Campy "groupos from hell . . ." is a bit of a stretch.

Lol i know it is. I really dont think they are that bad, but i dont like their feel. I just like pushing the things a bit. And i want to see how long it takes all of the campy fanatics to go wild about that statement.

Campy is neat, and though I've never owned a Campy bike I've borrowed/tested the stuff; I can see myself going there someday but I certainly don't feel a big tug to. They both perform well.

I like that Shimano is easily serviced almost anywhere, and that replacement parts aren't hard to come by. It also tends to be cheaper in the upper product ranges.

Until I win the lottery and start keeping multiple quality road bikes, I'll probably be a Shimano guy.

I currently have Shimano Dura-Ace. Not impressed at all. Currently building a new TT Bike and going with Campy Record through out except I am going with a Phil Wood Mag/BB and Connex Stainless chain.

People you have to think about which is a better product. People are making comments like, no Campy until I hit the lotto. Well, that basically means yes, you think Campy is a better product but, are unable to afford them at this time. That is fine but, it is an exagoration to say you need to hit the lotto. Dura-Ace is not far behind on price at all.

Who am I? I AM SAM.... Damn it!

I didn't say I couldn't afford Campy, dude (although I should refrain from buying bike stuff for a few months); I said I preferred Shimano for a few reasons, but admired Campy enough that if I were to start keeping a fleet of bikes, I'd have a few in Record and Chorus.

I'm not holding out on Campy until I win the lotto; I'm holding out on a fleet of bikes until I win the lotto.

;)

Originally posted by lokstah
I didn't say I couldn't afford Campy, dude (although I should refrain from buying bike stuff for a few months); I said I preferred Shimano for a few reasons, but admired Campy enough that if I were to start keeping a fleet of bikes, I'd have a few in Record and Chorus.

I'm not holding out on Campy until I win the lotto; I'm holding out on a fleet of bikes until I win the lotto.

;)

hehe Lokstah...I wonder what bike setup you have...have you decided on a wheelset yet?

Originally posted by boudreaux
both, and Suntour too.
I got you beat I also have sacks ergo shifters. and a few otehr oddball parts. hell my frame has a capy bottom bracket and a even better brand (forgot what) dropouts.

Campy.
With regard to the line "grouppos from hell" - in many places that is putting a positive spin on it so I don't think there'll be much offence taken.

Originally posted by Rudy
hehe Lokstah...I wonder what bike setup you have...have you decided on a wheelset yet?
The new bike? You asked for it... it's is a custom Klein Q Pro, Dura Ace, Speedplay Zeros, USE Alien Ti seatpost, Zepp XL stem, Kestrel EMS Pro bars, Terry Zero men's saddle; still no wheel decision.

:(

On the list of possible wheelsets (pretty much all the usual suspects in the $500 to $1000 range): Ksyrium SL '04, Rolf Prima Vigor, Rolf Prima Elan, Velomax Ascent II, Bontrager Race X-Lite, Dura Ace '04, American Classic 420, and maybe, maybe, Campy Eurus (but as we've discussed, gruppo compatbility is an issue -- especially if you're setting up a vanity build like me).

:)

Hey, when did this become the Lokstah's New Bike thread? I did mention I'm using Shimano, right? And what are YOU putting together, Rudy?

uumm...LOL...your pocket is deeper than mine....well...so far I think this is it...
Kestrel Talon, Ritchey WCS OS handlebar, Ritchey WCS or ITM Millenium stem, BP Stealth carbon aero seatpost, full shimano ultegra or mix with some dura ace, Michelin axial tires, Speedplay X3, Syntace C2 aerobar or Profile Carbon Stryke, an old Vetta Tri shock saddle (haven't found a new one I like yet)..and...

American classic 420. I got a great price on the front wheel and now looking to purchase the rear wheel. That good price on the front wheel pretty much made my decision for me. I only weight 165 lbs max so these wheels should be fine and at 1420 g are light. Yea, I know I was also considering the Bontrager Race X lite. call bicyclebuys.com and I thinnk you can get a set of these Bontrager for cheaper than most other places ...like $550.

I'm trying to put together some good value parts and being weight concsious at the same time...like the pedal...$90 for X3 but when you go to X2 it's $160 for 30 g lighter? ouch!!!

This is a XMast bike... I'll try to wait as long as I can ...until close to XMast to build it up...staring at my frame righ now...hehe

At the mean time, whenever I get a chance, I'm still riding my Litespeed Catalyst :)

"Be patient my young apprentice or it shall be your undoing"

ummm... lokstah...when you finish building your bike, post some pics!!

Originally posted by Cipher
The Tête de Course :D

ah! ive got a real sweet spot for those lemond bikes =)

the new esthetics of ti-carbon blending are odd looking though... perhaps they grow on ya?

im sold on the 2004 dura ace but record would be sweet for that bike

Originally posted by Rudy
ummm... lokstah...when you finish building your bike, post some pics!!
You bet your a*s I'm going to post pictures. You wanna see a cycling dork? I'll give you a cycling dork.

Trust me, though; I'm getting great deals on some of these parts. I wouldn't be building it at quite this level if I wasn't 1) taking advantage of some connections and 2) living cheaply otherwise. My rent is low right now, I have a good job, no kids, girlfriend is getting into cycling -- in other words, it's now or never.

:)

It is, to be fair, a build beyond my means and needs.