Campy or Shimano?

Originally posted by Rompinrhino
Flush out your headgear newguy. I wouldnt mind riding DA, and I dont think Shimano's that bad, did you see the little :p thrown in there?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rompinrhino
This thread cracks me up. I hope the bickering here never ends. As far as products go, I use both. I'm not too happy with my Ultegra, but I wouldnt care if it was DA, I'd be glad to have it. , Another thing I think is mildly funny is that I was reading an article where they inteviewed the DA rep. One of the things he pointed out was how DA was working to improve the length and with of its levers. Turns out they have multiple STI levers, I imagine most people knew that. It's funny their still messin around with the size, Campy's had it figured out for quite some time now. I quess no matter how much you tweak the shimano, it's never right, crapola is still crapola. :p .

I don't know how you want me to look at those two comments. Even if you did not exactly say it, but it just seems like you're implying that Shimano is inferior. My apologies then if I have misread your impartiality.

New guy? You make it sound like having more postcounts in here make you what?... a better man than those who have less?

Shimano? Campy? Bah! Suntour!

While I do have Shimano on a few bikes, I much prefer Suntour stuff. Suntour ratcheting bar-end shifters and Superbe mechs make for goodness. If I were buying a replacement drivetrain tomorrow, I'd go Suntour 7x3 friction shifted with bar-end shifters and a 34t alpine gear.

But, as I'm often reminded, I'm not wired right or something. For a long time, my pride and joy was my 1977 Sky Blue / Black Ralieigh Grand Prix, and these days my commuter has a 3spd SA hub.

I would like a couple things answered here as I have been reading this thread and some things are different from what bike shops are telling me

1. Most bike shops I go to agree that campy stuff will last longer.?????

2. That Centur is last years Chorus and is not in oppostion to 105 in price and product, it is actually the equal of Integra???????

3. All campag stuff is 10 speed and Shimano with bringing out 10 speed in integra and 105 next year buying campag stuff now u wont have old technology???? unless u have money to buy dure-ace which is 10 speed.

Reason I ask is I'm about to buy a new bike but i have always rode Shimano but i rode a campy bike the other day and really like the fell, just that the bike I 'm looking at I can choose groupset and really stuck on whether to go for Centur or Integra as Chorus little out of price range.

BTNE1 said:
I would like a couple things answered here as I have been reading this thread and some things are different from what bike shops are telling me

2. That Centur is last years Chorus and is not in oppostion to 105 in price and product, it is actually the equal of Integra???????

3. All campag stuff is 10 speed and Shimano with bringing out 10 speed in integra and 105 next year buying campag stuff now u wont have old technology???? unless u have money to buy dure-ace which is 10 speed.

Reason I ask is I'm about to buy a new bike but i have always rode Shimano but i rode a campy bike the other day and really like the fell, just that the bike I 'm looking at I can choose groupset and really stuck on whether to go for Centur or Integra as Chorus little out of price range.
How about this mix?

Truvativ ISIS Crank
FSA BB
Shimano cassette, and derailluers, pedals

BTNE1 said:

no doubt i love campy (record) stuff is awsome looking. but i dont think it will last longer... and campy has bin known to have adjustment problems. if your looking for something that will last a long time go ultegra or even 105. if you know how to adjust alot of stuff go campy

patch70 said:
Campy.
With regard to the line "grouppos from hell" - in many places that is putting a positive spin on it so I don't think there'll be much offence taken.
campy has the rapid upshift/downshift... which is much easier to access and i love seeing all the shimano guys go clik clik clik by the time i am barrelling down the descent...
but the new dura ace crank is amazing

izzodesh said:
campy has the rapid upshift/downshift... which is much easier to access and i love seeing all the shimano guys go clik clik clik by the time i am barrelling down the descent...
but the new dura ace crank is amazing

it doesnt take long click click click ill still pass you on a sprint or decent

samtheclip said:
I currently have Shimano Dura-Ace. Not impressed at all. Currently building a new TT Bike and going with Campy Record through out except I am going with a Phil Wood Mag/BB and Connex Stainless chain.

People you have to think about which is a better product. People are making comments like, no Campy until I hit the lotto. Well, that basically means yes, you think Campy is a better product but, are unable to afford them at this time. That is fine but, it is an exagoration to say you need to hit the lotto. Dura-Ace is not far behind on price at all.

Who am I? I AM SAM.... Damn it!

The Dura Ace (7800 - new 10 spd) cranks are 40% stiffer than the Carbon Record Cranks. The whole set-up is a little heavier, I think, but that alone (the stiffness of the cranks) holds me to Shimano. I want to know that when I'm sprinting at near 1000 watts, I'm not loosing too much energy to "flimsy" cranks/bb set ups. Not to mention the fact that comparable cassettes cost nearly twice as much.

samtheclip said:
I currently have Shimano Dura-Ace. Not impressed at all. Currently building a new TT Bike and going with Campy Record through out except I am going with a Phil Wood Mag/BB and Connex Stainless chain.

People you have to think about which is a better product. People are making comments like, no Campy until I hit the lotto. Well, that basically means yes, you think Campy is a better product but, are unable to afford them at this time. That is fine but, it is an exagoration to say you need to hit the lotto. Dura-Ace is not far behind on price at all.

Who am I? I AM SAM.... Damn it!

-----------------

I've had Dura-Ace for 3 yrs and have nothing but problems -- with the rear hub, the rear free-wheel (not sure if this is the name -- the part inside the rear cog set that engages/dis-engages when pedaling/coasting) and the bottom bracket -- and even Shimano pedals (the hub and the pedals make noise for no obvious reason -- even after multiple repackings), the free-wheel broke after about 1000 miles ... just a nightmare :mad:

IEatRice4Dinner said:
no doubt i love campy (record) stuff is awsome looking. but i dont think it will last longer... and campy has bin known to have adjustment problems. if your looking for something that will last a long time go ultegra or even 105. if you know how to adjust alot of stuff go campy

Just personal experience here - I built up my dream road bike in the winter/spring 2003 with a Campy Chorus group. Had to adjust cables and tighten the crank arms a couple of times during the first two weeks of riding. After that - nothing. Only adjusting I have had to do is on rear der. when I change wheelsets. Otherwise, the front der. and brakes are where I set them in the spring of 2003.

No adjustment problems here. That Chorus group is like this thread. It just won't die...

JohnO said:
Just personal experience here - I built up my dream road bike in the winter/spring 2003 with a Campy Chorus group. Had to adjust cables and tighten the crank arms a couple of times during the first two weeks of riding. After that - nothing. Only adjusting I have had to do is on rear der. when I change wheelsets. Otherwise, the front der. and brakes are where I set them in the spring of 2003.

No adjustment problems here. That Chorus group is like this thread. It just won't die...
I agree. The first few weeks required some fine tuning, but that's just cable stretch. As far as Campy lasting longer, I would agree with that statement. My brother has a Bianchi with Shimano old school 600 and new school 105. But the only thing that is the same is the old Record hubs circa early 80's.

On a side note, I would never put anything but Campy on an Italian steel frame. Shimano is fine for American or Taiwan bikes.

breesej said:
I agree. The first few weeks required some fine tuning, but that's just cable stretch. As far as Campy lasting longer, I would agree with that statement. My brother has a Bianchi with Shimano old school 600 and new school 105. But the only thing that is the same is the old Record hubs circa early 80's.

On a side note, I would never put anything but Campy on an Italian steel frame. Shimano is fine for American or Taiwan bikes.

Speaking of longevity... I'm restoring two classic 70's racers, both are early 70's Falcon San Remo bikes. (my old college days racing bike, I recently bought one for me, one for my wife) The Campy NR gear on both bikes is original, and in excellent working order. Just needed disassembly and cleaning. It is such a pleasure to work on equipment that was designed to be worked on. Thank you, Tullio.

Only piece of Campy gear that hasn't withstood 30 years so well are the gum hoods on the brake levers. Kinda odd that for the most part, Campy NR gear is absurdly low priced these days, but those gum hoods are like gold...

Italian frames are okay, but IMHO there is nothing finer than a 70's vintage British frameset.

Shimano? Campy? Bah! Suntour!

While I do have Shimano on a few bikes, I much prefer Suntour stuff. Suntour ratcheting bar-end shifters and Superbe mechs make for goodness. If I were buying a replacement drivetrain tomorrow, I'd go Suntour 7x3 friction shifted with bar-end shifters and a 34t alpine gear.

But, as I'm often reminded, I'm not wired right or something. For a long time, my pride and joy was my 1977 Sky Blue / Black Ralieigh Grand Prix, and these days my commuter has a 3spd SA hub.

Italian frames are okay, but IMHO there is nothing finer than a 70's vintage British frameset.

True Luddite's, both! ;)

Campy can be repaired much easier if/when it wears out or breaks down than Shimano. Which is as JohnO said - part of Tullio's grand diabolical scheme to make us buy more Campy-specific tools and parts.

Wouldn't you rather just toss out an old set of levers/RD/FD/hubs etc. when their time has come, instead of fixing the ones you've spent thousands of miles of intimate cycling time getting used to?

Wurm said:
True Luddite's, both! ;)

Campy can be repaired much easier if/when it wears out or breaks down than Shimano. Which is as JohnO said - part of Tullio's grand diabolical scheme to make us buy more Campy-specific tools and parts.

Wouldn't you rather just toss out an old set of levers/RD/FD/hubs etc. when their time has come, instead of fixing the ones you've spent thousands of miles of intimate cycling time getting used to?

cheerio !!!!!!!!!!!

I have both Dura Ace 10 and Campy Record 2004.

Campy has that super feature of being able to fine tune the front derailleur. It´s a bit lighter, A lot cooler looking. The negatives is being able to fine tune the front derailleur makes jumping from 39 to 53 a necessary two time swooping motion of the shifter before it happens. Takes too long!
I use the FSA carbon cranks with the record parts the fsa was measured to be stiffer than the old Dura Ace, I can´t feel the difference in bb flex compared to DA 04 and I´m a heavy rider. The shifting is very precise and yes "noisy" compared to shimano DA 04. Funny thing many make fun of the "plastic" campa levers but they feel more solid than the DA 04´s.

Shimano DA 04 most improved part isn´t really the crankset it´s the brakes they are awesome! Campy record brakes used to set the standard they are now surpassed. The shifting of the rear derailleur is almost identical to the record in speed, precision and feel. The difference is that the Shimano group is a lot more quiet and also super smooth in general. Negative is the only one click fine tuning of the front derailleur. Ergonomically it´s almost a tie between campa and shimano with Shimano a narrow winner.The crankset looks cool to me but it seem to protrude more from the bb on the non drive side and I have hit my medial malleole (while pedalling hard out of the saddle) on the non drive side crank base something which has never happended to me before with other cranksets. I can´t feel an improvement in stiffness compared to DA 9. I find that the Shimano group needs to be adjusted more often than the campy.

To me they are both exellent. People who bash either brand have possibly not ridden both top gruoppos basing their bashing on some low end campa or shimano **** group (yeah they both make em) or 2 have never ridden the other brand and are just biased.

Campa has my vote at the nr 1 spot. But Shimano is a very very close nr 2. They both have their forces. For competitive racing I use the Shimano equipped bike because spares from non team or other teams helpers or just a local LBS (for example a new rear wheel if you have a blow out) are 95% Shimano at races.
Service parts are not readily availiable for campy in many places and you have to wait for an order. Shimano is almost always in stock. Shimano is cheaper too.

Buy one of them you wont regret it.

rholdgreve said:
Shimano 4 speed.

I prefer their 18-speed but I'd be willing to try the new 20-speed. (Dura-Ace, 10).

Four cogs sounds insufficient.

;)