Campy or Shimano?

dura ace is rubbish

Campy Record is rubbish

I ride Suntour friction shift. I don't need a flight deck because i know what gear I'm in from the sound vibrations the chain gives off.

anyone else out there with a sense of humour?

Kaboom said:
So what do u people ride out there? shimano or campy?
I use Campy Chorus on my Trek 5200 road bike and Shimano on the Trek 850 mtb. I just love the campy stuff. So smooth, and as advertized durable. Its hard to compare to the mtb because the conditions are so diferent but I wish Campy made mtb gear. I have never had Shimano gear that worked very well. I just bought my 13 yr old a trek 6700 and in the first 300 miles his rear derailer doesn't work. He is on a team at his school far away so needless to say it is very frustrating. I also have a Bianchi Veloce that has been relagated to the wife and boy on family road rides and it works as well as the Chorus.

Beastt said:
Apparently, some not only go back but back and forth. Perhaps the difference is as much subjective as objective. :)

As is the case with about everything in our sport!

Beastt said:
Discs are starting to appear on roadbikes. Mostly on tandems but a few singles have them. I doublt it will become a standard due to the extra weight but clearly, the extra power comes into play with the extra weight of two riders.
I think the technology exists to make disks standard on road bikes soon. The extra weight would be partially offset by the ability to use much lighter rims. However, after the UCI banned disks for cyclocross, most manufacturers are probably hesitant to spend too much money developing them for road bikes.

It's not how much I weigh, it's how light I feel when dancing on my pedals:)

Which lately must mean I weigh a ton. Took a week off and legs feel like lead.

what's with this absurd, offensive nonsense about the French. This is a cycling forum, leave your xenophobic attitudes behind you daft Republican.
szbert said:
It's not how much I weigh, it's how light I feel when dancing on my pedals:)

Which lately must mean I weigh a ton. Took a week off and legs feel like lead.

I ride both Campy 10 speed Record Carbon (awesome, beautifully sculptured and finished, super performing, incredibly durable) and Shimano 105 (great shifting, okay looking, reasonably durable).
Campy is expensive, but the quality is superb. Like a work of art.

The bike I have the Campy on is a Trek OCLV Project One. A very expensive bike worthy of this caliber of components.
My other bike, A Trek 2200, performs flawlessly with the Shimano 105.

Both companies offer excellent compents. Campy is more expensive, but as a result, offers more exclusivity.

Eric

patpending said:
what's with this absurd, offensive nonsense about the French. This is a cycling forum, leave your xenophobic attitudes behind you daft Republican.
Exactly. Get used to the fact that 80% of the world hates GW Bush.

Eric007bike said:
I ride both Campy 10 speed Record Carbon (awesome, beautifully sculptured and finished, super performing, incredibly durable) and Shimano 105 (great shifting, okay looking, reasonably durable).
Campy is expensive, but the quality is superb. Like a work of art.

The bike I have the Campy on is a Trek OCLV Project One. A very expensive bike worthy of this caliber of components.
My other bike, A Trek 2200, performs flawlessly with the Shimano 105.

Both companies offer excellent compents. Campy is more expensive, but as a result, offers more exclusivity.

Eric

Overall I think that's a fairly balanced assessment from someone who owns and rides both Shimano and Campagnolo. I do wonder a bit about comparing Campy Record with Shimano 105, especially when you consider that the Trek 2200 is a mid-range bike designed to be sold with 105 while the Campy is on a much more expensive bike. But I've seen similar reviews from people who own and compare Campagnolo Record against Shimano Dura-Ace. I have two bikes but both are Dura-Ace (9-speed) equipped and I've never ridden Campagnolo so I can't offer anything more than the fact that Dura-Ace seems to work well, is quite reliable, and doesn't seem to put me at any kind of disadvantage against riders with Campy equipment.

Beastt said:
Overall I think that's a fairly balanced assessment from someone who owns and rides both Shimano and Campagnolo. I do wonder a bit about comparing Campy Record with Shimano 105, especially when you consider that the Trek 2200 is a mid-range bike designed to be sold with 105 while the Campy is on a much more expensive bike. But I've seen similar reviews from people who own and compare Campagnolo Record against Shimano Dura-Ace. I have two bikes but both are Dura-Ace (9-speed) equipped and I've never ridden Campagnolo so I can't offer anything more than the fact that Dura-Ace seems to work well, is quite reliable, and doesn't seem to put me at any kind of disadvantage against riders with Campy equipment.

I guess my point is that technology today has advanced to the point that even the lower level components shift great and are reasonably reliable and durable. The big difference is weight. My Trek 2200 105 bike weighs roughly 20lbs, while my Trek Project One weigh in at 16 lbs.

Kaboom said:
So what do u people ride out there? shimano or campy?
I just recently bought a new frame ('04 Pinarello Opera) and was looking to build it with DA 9 speed components (to have some compatibilty with my Ultegra 9 bike, namely the wheels), however I found that it is hard to find DA 9 with the exception of a triple group. I'm not sold on DA 10 (yet) and there is no compatibilty with Shimano's 9 speed group, so after mulling this over I decided to go with Campy. I have just built my bike for under $1,000 (wheels were extra) by using e-bay as well as Performance and Nashbar. The entire group is Record 10 with the exception of a Chorus cassette. Everything is either brand new, or it came off a display bike and it certainly looks brand new and there's lots of carbon. I haven't ridden it yet, but I have ridden Campy bikes previously and enjoyed the feel and performance. I had a preconceived notion that Campy would set me back too much, but was pleasently surprised to find just as many good deals as with DA (DA 9 is becoming harder to find). Plus a frame like a Pinarello Opera is just crying out for Campy.
:cool:

Dud, come on Campy Record Rocks, It is smooth and efficent!!! I never have had a problem in 8 years of riding with them.

I own a beautifly crafted Italian road bike and would not even entertain the idea of using Japaneese components. I also have an American mountain bike with XT throughout which has performed to perfection.
But for road use Its campag all the way, just that extra touch of class.

Same here. I gor Shimano on my mountain bike and Camp on my Bianchi. I wouldl not want it any other way:cool:
Tractor Boy said:
I own a beautifly crafted Italian road bike and would not even entertain the idea of using Japaneese components. I also have an American mountain bike with XT throughout which has performed to perfection.
But for road use Its campag all the way, just that extra touch of class.

I just installed DA10 on my Cannondale. Easy install, especially the new crank with the only complaint being the rear derailer has Japanese Phillips adjustment screws where I would have expected Allen heads. My western Phillips don't fit too well.

Out on the test ride, all I needed to do was one click on the rear. Cranks are the smoothest, stiffest I have ever used.

Now for the ultimate test, the dreaded double shift. That is dropping a few on the rear and at the same time, going to the small ring. Forget the subjective advantage of being able to do a rapid dump on Campy, that is only useable if you are jumping off cliffs and need to hang on someone's wheel. The REAL test of shifting prowess is the double drop. When climbing and you run out of cogs, dropping to the small ring will kick the cadence higher than useable so dropping a few cogs gets you in the right gear. I have only had luck doing double drops on Shimano. Sometimes, I can get Campy to do it but the majority of the time, it results in a dropped chain. Only once did it result in a dropped chain on my DA equipped ride. With DA10, its not even noticable, just hit the levers and climb.

Sounds vaguely like the dreaded double jaw drop test - the real test of components on a bicycle, because once you get to 105 or Centaur, anything above that is essentially personal jewelry. Unless, of course, you're serious about racing, in which case you ride whatever the sponsor is paying for...

The test is simple - ride by a group of cyclists who are resting, and see how many jaws drop. If more than two drop, you have excellent gear. And don't mistake a yawn for a jaw drop... needless to say, the Campy carbon crankset passes every time.

Mind you, I'm not saying that personal jewelry is a bad thing. I certainly didn't need Chorus or Record components, or XTR on the mtb...

JohnO said:
Sounds vaguely like the dreaded double jaw drop test - the real test of components on a bicycle, because once you get to 105 or Centaur, anything above that is essentially personal jewelry. Unless, of course, you're serious about racing, in which case you ride whatever the sponsor is paying for...

The test is simple - ride by a group of cyclists who are resting, and see how many jaws drop. If more than two drop, you have excellent gear. And don't mistake a yawn for a jaw drop... needless to say, the Campy carbon crankset passes every time.

Mind you, I'm not saying that personal jewelry is a bad thing. I certainly didn't need Chorus or Record components, or XTR on the mtb...

If 105 had the features of Dura Ace, you might have a point but as of current, only 9 speeds are available in that line.

Something must pay for the industry to advance. Those who want the best pay for it and those who cannot afford it wait until it trickles down. It eventually does.