Campy or Shimano?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kaboom, Nov 4, 2003.

1. rustyine

rustyine New Member

I ride Campy.

When I was shopping for my first serious road bike, someone told me that Shimano had the 'potential' to shift if you grabbed the brake suddenly. So I went with Campy, and I've gotten used to it. Also, when I was a kid, I remember hearing about Campy's. And they had a reputation as being the best you could get at that time (I don't know if that was actually true, but it's what I heard). So that also influenced my decision.

But it's really like an incumbant politician, you "go with what you know" My personal feeling is that they are so close in functional quality, that the greatest difference is how they shift.

So, like I said, I've gotten used to Campy. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

2. vichercules

vichercules New Member

I have both and have to say my Campy ergo shifters are totally superior to my Shimano STI's. When I say totally superior, I am saying they are at least 80% better. Shimano Brakes are maybe 10% better than my Campy's and everything else is about even. Shimano stuff (other than shifters) is a little lighter.

As far as price is concerned, you can get 105 or Volce for around the same money, Ultegra costs more than both, and of the three, because of the shifter issue, I would choose Volce though it is the weightiest of the three groupos.

3. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Update: Rode it, loved it and I'm totally sold on Campy. Don't dismiss Record as being too expensive. I spent $100 on the cranks and $220 on the shifters (all from display bikes that were never ridden). Campy also has a whole catalog of small parts and the components can be overhauled after 20k miles of use.

4. El Loto

El Loto New Member

In a recent issue of Procycling magazine Marcel Wust tested a Boreas bike. This was an intersting concept. Why? The bike was using both Campagnolo Record and Shimano Dura-Ace. The Dura-Ace crankset was being used with the other components being Record. Boreas said that this was the most efficient way they had found to set up the bike. The bike also had a set of Bora G3s which made it one good looking bike.
    Thanks to my job i am saving up to buy a record groupset to replace my Sora one.

5. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

Campy of course.

Away from bike bits, shimano makes fishing tackle; campy makes Lamborghini wheels and a big corkscrew!

6. BHman

BHman New Member

I rode Campy for the 1st time about 2 months ago when I bought a used bike that came with a Chorus/Athena set up. I thought to myself, "Now I know why people rave about Campy." I have a rebuilt older Trek done with a new 8s Ultegra set that works well, but the Campy is just sweet.

7. ianf

ianf New Member

I've been cycling for 44 years and have been using Campy for 44 years. I wouldn't have Shimano even if you gave it to me free. Nasty stuff. Tell them to stick to making fishing reels.

8. tayvens

tayvens New Member

Campy. First Veloce now Chorus. Italian bikes deserve the best!

9. notryt

notryt New Member

In the day -circa 1980 Campy (just was a better product.. and a LOT more expensive) however since 92 ... Dura Ace equipt. I do not see,feel,hear,taste, or smell any remarkable difference in either (campy is a prestige thing) Shimano is easier to find parts for.. Is (argueably) less expensive. BUT!! Dura ace sti shifters are a crap shoot however. for every good shifter they make (7700 series) there are 2 that are pure junk. ( I dont understand this at all ) so campy gets the nod there hands down. Ive gone thru 3 lefts (on 4) and 2 rights (on 3). the people I ride with that use Campy Record never had to replace a single one.

10. fastcycling

fastcycling New Member

C'mon Kaboom, gimme a break. Obviously you are just inexperienced, you couldn't possibly believe that Shimano is even close.

As to best Grouppo’s.
    In my humble opinion:

Friends don’t let friends ride Shimano!

This is the number one way to start an argument in cycling.
    Campagnolo is made of much better alloy’s, holds up for much longer in
    poor conditions, is rebuildable, parts are available going way back, is
    upgradeable when they come out with new stuff and is generally just
    much superior quality. The shifting technique is far superior and more
    logical.
    Once you go Campy, you’ll never go back. Really, I mean the campy is logical, firm, solid, repairable, doesn't corrode, never vague, stays in adjustment, once it is dialed in, it is perfect. Shimano is the opposite of each of these statements.

In 2003, I bought a Pinarello Marvel and a Colnago C40HP, both with
    Shimano’s then top of the line ’03 DuraAce 9sp set up. I rode them thousands upon thousands of miles trying to convince myself that it was as
    good as the Campy (which is what I had switched to). The experiment failed and my entire bike collection is now Campagnolo Record 10 with a few exceptions (a Chorus 10 speed, an older 8 speed on my Tandem, Daytona/Centaur on my DeRosa and Ultegra (still) on
    my Ritchey Break-Away, but that is only my bike for airline travel in the
    US so I don’t want too much invested when they end up loosing, stealing it or breaking it!

People tend to buy Shimano because:

a) it is significantly less expensive
    b) local bike shops carry it more and have more “parts” (cables,
    cassettes, etc.)
    c) it is what Lance rides
    d) frame manufacturers include it as the standard build kit (back to because it is cheaper).

There are a lot of opinions out there. I have owned and ridden and reviewed in the LAST TWO YEARS the following bikes and there is a lot of good stuff out there. Getting a bike that fits is the most important thing, then remember my motto; "you never regret buying the very best".

Colnago 50th Anniversary (like the new President, perhaps the best bike ever but it is stiff, very stiff), Pinarello Dogma (wow! Just got it and I can't wait for this summer, feels great), 4-Colnago C40's B-Stay, Pre-B-stay, '90's and an '03 HP. (This and the new C50, the best all around bike in the world). Pinarello Marvel (very fast and very sexy seat and chain stays, best looking rear end out there), 2- Pinarello Prince's (pre-Onda). Litespeed Ultimate, Tuscany and Taliani tandem. Ultimate felt good but didn't fit. Tuscany too flexy but comfy, also didn't fit right but was my size. Colnago Dream (fast and stiff, unforgiving), DeRosa Vision (stiff and harsh, but stiff and fast too). Trek 5500 (what a dangerous and crappy riding bike), Serrotta Legend Ti (wow, so Ti can be stiff too), Klein Quantum Pro (very stiff and fast but like a jackhammer up the rear), Ritchey Break Away (fantastic travel bike, no airline surcharges and can be riding in 15 minutes, really !), and in addition to all that hardware I've owned ridden the following tandems: DaVinci, Santana Noventa and Arriva, Burley Samba, Bike Friday and my new Litespeed Taliani. DaVinci felt cheap, Santana's are boring, flexy but good for non-enthusiasts. Hoping the Taliani is the end all but this summer will tell. Prior to that I went through Cannondale (ouch), Raleigh (yawn), Bianchi (zzzz) and others but I'll summarize for everyone:

I’ll guarantee you that if you decide you like to ride a bike, a
    thousand miles a year or more, that if you buy a Colnago C40 or C50 with Campy Chorus 10 speed (or Record), and some nice wheels, you will be TOTALLY happy forever and never need to even look at another bike. Guaranteed!

Regards,
    Stuart
    --
    __o
    _ \ <_
    (_)/(_)

11. notryt

notryt New Member

well as far as shifting is concerned.. all shifters push the chain sideways.. there really isnt any logic. indexing is indexing,,, as far as going out of adjustment. ive used red loc-tite sine i started racing in 81 ive only have had to adjust any of my da equipment in all those years a handful of times.. after the dial-in. most adjustments are due to cheap cable stretching more than the the derailleurs themselves. (buy prestretched kevlar coated (jag-wire) and forget it). metallurgy they are all the same.. like stated by others who have tried em both, SSDC (it isnt the 70s anymore.. where campy was really the only game in town) even 105 components shift as good as campy. but who wants steel wheels on there lambroghini. I ride 3000+ a year and Ive tried em both. (campy definitely for sti style shifters) the rest really dont matter. If you put just 1 battery in wrong in a 5-cell flashlight it wont work. (if your into a groupo thing.. Campy Record.. just because the shifters are better.) If you want to peddle around on a circus wagon, toss anything 105 and up on a bike frame and youll get excellent results. as long as your chainrings and freewheels arent eatin up they all should shift as smooth as butter. (road racer & triatlete for 24 years if experience counts for anything nowadays)

12. supergrill

supergrill New Member

I personally prefer Campy too, but c'mon let's be real:

Sounds good but not really....

quite true, a key benefit

you can still find even Shimano UG stuff if you look around.

no more so than Shimano

Can find just as many people who think the opposite.

Bull

Bull

Only when the tooth fairy comes and adjusts it every night.

Huh? Not anymore in this world.

Very true

also true

and Also Campy, SRAM & Truvativ

..and that is the ultimate truth.

13. penfordcycles

penfordcycles New Member

campy and shimano are different ,thet both have advantages and disadvantages
    shimano is lighter ,cheaper and easy to come by throughout the world
    campy is heavier but more durable,both can give problems when not set up properly ,and both can give problems when not serviced often
    shimano is slightly easier to use.
    all in all it is your own choice in what you prefer
    the frame,wheels and fork remain the most important part of a bike

regards
    cycle retailer
    south africa

14. patch70

patch70 New Member

Comparing DuraAce & Record, all the Record compnents except the cranks are lighter.

15. Wurm

Wurm New Member

One of the biggest reasons people used to have for buying Shimano was that it's been priced lower than Campag's top 2 or 3 grouppos. Not anymore. For the U.S. market, Ultegra 10 is now a tad more expensive than Chorus, and of course D/A 10 is priced up with Record.

Now there is absolutely NO excuse to buy Shimano over Campag.

16. notryt

notryt New Member

And if you have used / switched to the DA10 then vice-versa. ( I really dont like the looks of the new DA10 groupo) but im in a minority. And if someone gave me a record groupo ide build another bike with it!

17. wannaride

wannaride New Member

Got my first with bike with Campy Record gear a month ago. Best shifting ever. Brakes I think are slightly better than DA brakes but not a real big difference there. I've never been a big fan of the Shimano STI shifters and the thumb downshift just makes a lot more sense to me.

Record group is certainly lighter than DA group and general consensus seems to be that it wears better and is more repairable if need be. On the other hand DA is certainly less expensive.

Of course the Campy Record water bottle holder is simply the icing on the cake.

18. LockinUp

LockinUp Banned

Don't forget T.A. Specialties!
    www.kingzoftheroad.com

19. Wurm

Wurm New Member

You meant to say Specialites. ;)

20. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Campy uses Carbon + Ti , and the Ergo parts are replacable.
    Shimano does not(not sure on the Ti at least..., maybe some screws on DA. ??).

Campy came out w/ 9 spd first.... , Shimano later that year in 1997 , and Campy came out w/ 10 spd... what 4+ years before Shimano did. Campy is a LEADER..... pushes the envolope in the industry, continually refines/ evolves their line(s) , and does not "wait" for their competitor to make a move. Kuddo's to Campy. I'll always ride Campy.

Nuff said

PS... when I go to build up my MTB hard-tail, it will be with SRAM + Avid ....... I'd rather see my money go to these smaller companies, then a larger one like Shimano. When there is an option over Shimano..... I'll take it and run.