Campy or Shimano?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kaboom, Nov 4, 2003.

1. supergrill

supergrill New Member

Company don't you you mean?; since SRAM and Avid are one. ;)

2. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Dude,
    You need to get your facts straight first. Check it, before you wreck it :)

3. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Sorry...... my bad :D
    I was not aware of this fact. Thanks for pointing that out for me.
    Yes, SRAM/Avid ........ + some King compontents on my MTB... and I'll be more then happy :eek:

4. mikeo

mikeo New Member

I have it on good authority that GOD rides Campagnolo (He spoke to me in a dream).

5. supergrill

supergrill New Member

Pay to no heed to the talk of the evil devil worshiper; for it is known that he tempts us with lies!
    It is obvious that God would only ride Saint components.
    http://www.ridesaint.com/
    :p

6. mikeo

mikeo New Member

He did say he rode Saint on his mountain bike but his road bike is all Campagnolo

7. BHman

BHman New Member

I don't know about "God", but I know that my Campy Athena set is a true goddess. She sings sweetly at speed and shifts like a dream.

8. rollycruz

rollycruz New Member

I presently am using Dura-ace. Previously, I also had the chance of using Campy (Nuovo Record group).
    In the part of the world where I live, finding Campy parts and accessories is extremely hard. The very strong value of the Euro vis-a-vis my country's Peso makes the Campy option kind of expensive.

So, for logistical and econonomic reasons, I use Shimano. But other than these, and with my previous experience with Campy, I will have to grudgingly admit that Campy has a slight edge in performance versus Shimano. This is without saying that I am pleased with the way my present Dura-ace set-up has been performing the past 2 years or so.

9. leegregory

leegregory New Member

I've just chosen Ultegra over Chorus, mainly because of availabilty of spare parts. Campy's spares in the UK is bad, you can only get them from Mercian Cycles as they are the sole importer of Campy in the UK (as i understand it).

I am regretting the decision, Ultegra has a smooth gear change and the brakes are better than Campy but the build quality of Ultegra is a million miles away from Campy. The STI's rattle and the chains are terrible. Should have stayed with Campy i think.....

10. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Sounds like you should have went with Centaur, it's equivalent to Ultegra as far as price/performance, weight, etc. And I don't know how the Shimano brakes are any "better" than Campy's, my Campy brakes stop and feel just fine. What more stopping power does one need?

11. leegregory

leegregory New Member

For the price i paid for Ultegra i could have got Chorus, i didn't need the Hubs or the seat post or the headset. With regards to the brakes, i am basing it on the Chorus groupset i had previous, it was the 2001 range and always felt a bit Spongy. I tried different brake blocks but they never seemed quite right. On the work journey i make everyday i have a mile and a half climb at 11% and thus i have the same descent, i can start braking later and stop earlier with the Ultegra brakes, thats if i can STOP THE DAMN STI LEVERS FROM RATTLING, it makes the whole bike sound plastic.

12. Wurm

Wurm New Member

LOL! Well, not only does everything sound plastic, the majority of the group IS plastic! :D

Seriously tho', I don't have any gripes with the OEM Campy pads, but I think it's just a matter of adjustment trial & error. Make sure that when the brakes are "at rest", the left-side pads (as you're sitting on the bike) are mounted a tad higher in relation to the rims, and the right-side's are a tad lower. This accounts for the different action of the calipers between left & right, so that the full width of the pads actually land fully on the braking surface when they hit the rims. Of course this adjustment will be slightly different depending on whatever wheels you use.

13. Stelvio

Stelvio New Member

I have to give my vote to Campy. I am finally replacing my Ergo levers and rear derailleur to upgrade to 10 sp. My Ergo levers and RD are both from 1991. My frame was in the process of getting a warranty swap and since it had to be rebuilt I took the opportunity to switch from Ultegra (call 600 when I purchased in 89). At the time my wheels were all 7 sp and the RD was 8 sp, I had the wheels redished and the Campy RD had a set screw that could be used to block out the last gear.

Within a year or two I switched over to 8 sp by simply removing the set screw. About 6 or 7 years ago I upgraded to 9 speed by just replacing the indexing disc in the Ergo lever, still the same RD.

The stuff still works great 14 years later, from 7 sp to 8 sp to 9 sp. In that time I've known many riders who have had significant problems with STI levers breaking, including a last minute pre race installation of my old downtube Ultegra shifter to replace a buddy's suddenly malfunctioning STI lever. He would have had to bag the race (that he won) if I didn't happen to have the old lever in my tool box.

Campy wears in, Shimano wears out. Campy has sold me for life.

14. Wurm

Wurm New Member

"The Bitterness of Poor Quality is remembered long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten."

While that maxim is generally true, one thing that always gets me is why so many people over-spend on groupsets. Forget Shimano vs. Campy...95% of us here do not need Record or D/A level groups. Chorus is indistinguishable in function from Record, and Centaur is only slightly behind Chorus/Record as far as shifting performance, (I've owned all 3). This pretty much holds true for D/A and Ultegra as well.

The "lighter weight" argument AFAIC is a non-starter too, because the difference in weight between the 2 top groups for both brands is negligible.

Bragging rights/egotism/showing off/conspicuous consumption aside, I don't know why more of you that want Record or D/A wouldn't rather put the extra money to better use. Yes, it's nice to have the top-of-the-line at least once in your life, but for myself, I would never again waste my hard-earned samolians on Record or D/A. The only group I'll ever buy again is either Chorus or Centaur.

15. Stelvio

Stelvio New Member

I agree with a lot of what Wurm said. I myself bought Chorus; IMHO it’s the best value out of the top end components. Almost as good as Record for less. I even bought a Veloce cassette because the 12-23 was only available in Record at something around 225+ or Veloce at around 90.

On another point, I don't understand why the 12-23 isn’t more popular. Most of us rarely need an 11 and the 18 that you pickup in the 12-23 is extremely useful. I remember back to the early 90's when you could swap out cogs and make your own clusters many of the guys I raced with would often throw an 18 in there (and that was when we only had 9 sp).

Stelvio

16. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Exactly. It used to be easier to "make yer own", and you still can if you get a spare Veloce and try to match the "A" ramps with the "C" ramps. But Campy's got even that figured out. :(

But IME Chorus is no different performance-wise with shifting, hubs, brakes, BB's, or HS'; it's only that Record is a tad lighter and have pretty Ti & CF bits. Nothing wrong with that, but I won't pay the premium for Record anymore since the dollar is in the basement. Even if prices weren't so high right now, I still can't see the premium unless you've got mad money, (or someone else's money).

On the 12-23, I think it's just marketing & profit-driven. I would imagine that Chorus and Centaur - because of their price/quality/weight/durability - are the most popular of Campy's cassettes to all but racers or big-spenders. I'd also bet that the 12-23 is one of the most wanted gear ranges in 10v format. So, if 12-23 was available in Chorus/Centaur versions, Campy would probably sell more of them than most other ranges. That would take a lot of sales away from higher profit Record cassettes.

The way they have it now, you have to go "whole hog" and drop the zoot for the Record anyway, or suck wind with the Veloce.

:mad:

17. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Like I said earlier in this thread , I've spoken to many people in the industry who still stand by there experience that Records BB + Hubs are definitly superiour(not talking weight junkies here) , in terms of durability. I had a 2000 Chorus BB , and it took a bearing dump on me after 1K miles :( , maybe that was one in 1000 that I ended up buying that made it past QA. Not to mention, Record or Chorus hubs have not changed since 1999 ..... yes Record is a bit lighter...... but I have heard occational durability issues w/Chorus. Now, in 2005.... if I was buying a groupo.... it would be Chorus , but would swap out the BB + hubs for Record .... whats that going to cost you, an extra $80-100 - just find the absolute lowest price for a Chorus groupo... then find a shop/mail order that will price match .... and make a deal w/ a authorized dealer.

18. Wurm

Wurm New Member

That could be, but it's the first I've heard that about Chorus parts. In 2000, I had a full Record 10v group, (including the BB) with Record hubs + OPs and Chorus + Aeroheads. Both hubsets were fine and I had no bearing or other problems with either of them. Haven't owned the Chorus BB because right now I'm using ISIS.

19. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Dont get me wrong... Chorus hubs could get you 50K + trouble free miles... , where Record hubs could go 20+ years..... 100K +++ miles ... trouble free.

In other words, but hub-sets are super great... its just a question of how long do you plan on owning them..... and do you want the lighter version ;)

20. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Record, Chorus, and Centaur hubs all use the same bearings. The front Record hub is listed as 1g heavier than Chorus. Most likely because of the grease port. The rear is 10g lighter because the freehub pawls are titanium instead of steel.