Campy or Shimano?

artmichalek said:
Record, Chorus, and Centaur hubs all use the same bearings. The front Record hub is listed as 1g heavier than Chorus. Most likely because of the grease port. The rear is 10g lighter because the freehub pawls are titanium instead of steel.
Well Art, that's what I keep trying to tell people but apparently, there's this perception out there that Record is so much better. I say not.

You are exactly right about the listed weights. In my '05 catalog sitting right here, (imagine that - an actual paper catalog instead of a .pdf!) it says:

Centaur F = 200gm., R = 332gm.
Chorus F = 180gm., R = 326gm.
Record F = 181gm., R = 316gm.
(" *The weight of the hubs includes the quick-release.")

Chorus BB = 220gm., Record BB = 190gm.

I think if we listened to everything the LBS' said, we'd be quickly fleeced of our money more so than we sometimes are anyway. But some people just gotta have that "Record" logo on their rigs.

In fact, IMHO the Centaur hubs are the best value of the Campy line. Same bearings/internals except for the Ti pawl, the grease port, and the shiny finish. And if you get them in the Century Grey finish, many think they look better than Chorus or Record.

Wurm said:
I think if we listened to everything the LBS' said, we'd be quickly fleeced of our money more so than we sometimes are anyway. But some people just gotta have that "Record" logo on their rigs.
Try asking them to explain why you even need grease ports on hubs with sealed cartidge bearings...

artmichalek said:
Try asking them to explain why you even need grease ports on hubs with sealed cartidge bearings...
Then I just yell at them: "We don't need no steeen-king grease ports!!" :mad:

;)