Campy Profit Plus pedal overhaul

richard

Guest
Greetings! I noticed a squeak from my right Campy Profit Plus Record
pedal earlier in the week. I know one pulls the body off by turning the
wrench CW (left-handed threading). NOW, when confronting the stuff on
the pedal axle:

1. I can find no exploded view of the innards. What exatly is there?
It looks like 3 rather small cartdridge units...

2. Is the nut inside LH or RH threaded? It's on there pretty tight, and
I don't want to mess things up forcing the nut the wrong way.

Thanks for any help...

>From: richard

>I don't want to mess things up forcing the nut the wrong way.

You sure the sqeak is coming from the pedal bearings, and not the cleat, at the
shoe and/or the pedal?

richard wrote:

> Greetings! I noticed a squeak from my right Campy Profit Plus Record
> pedal earlier in the week. I know one pulls the body off by turning the
> wrench CW (left-handed threading). NOW, when confronting the stuff on
> the pedal axle:
>
> 1. I can find no exploded view of the innards.

See http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c
for exploded views. For example, for 2003 Record/Chorus/Centaur,
the 22nd page of http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares03_B.pdf

(Not much to see with the pedals, I was surprised to find.)

Mark Janeba

Not an exploded view at all (except for the clip mechanism). I've seen
more than that in my hands... (This is why the original posting - I
went to the Campy site first and found only this picture, which is also
on the insert.)

Thanks anyway...

Mark Janeba wrote:
> richard wrote:
>
>> Greetings! I noticed a squeak from my right Campy Profit Plus Record
>> pedal earlier in the week. I know one pulls the body off by turning
>> the wrench CW (left-handed threading). NOW, when confronting the
>> stuff on the pedal axle:
>>
>> 1. I can find no exploded view of the innards.

> See http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c
> for exploded views. For example, for 2003 Record/Chorus/Centaur,
> the 22nd page of http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares03_B.pdf
>
> (Not much to see with the pedals, I was surprised to find.)
>
> Mark Janeba

No, I'm not sure it's not from the cleat, so I've lubed that as well.
There is also a rubber seal where the axle enters the body. Those have
been known to squeak in some pedals.

Thing is, though, eventually whatever it is in that "cartridge" WILL
need cleaning and new grease some day.

Tom Paterson wrote:
>>From: richard

>>I don't want to mess things up forcing the nut the wrong way.

> You sure the sqeak is coming from the pedal bearings, and not the cleat, at the
> shoe and/or the pedal?

>From: richard

>No, I'm not sure it's not from the cleat, so >I've lubed that as well.

I had a grey cleat that wasn't worn (left side, I mount/dismount on the right),
was screwed on nice and tight, that squeeked real bad. Put a new one on:
silence, no pedal lubing or anything.

Agreed, someday the pedal guts may need work, but it might not be now. I
muddled through a bearing repack on a pair of Chorus Profits a year or so ago,
nothing weird but details (sorry) are fuzzy. --TP

richard <[email protected]> wrote:

> I noticed a squeak from my right Campy Profit Plus Record pedal

"Profit Plus"? I love it! I always thought that about Campy Record,
but it's nice for them to come out and _say_ it.

Now I wait for Shimano to introduce its "Planned Obsolescence System"
("Shimano POS").

Chalo Colina