Campy Proton wheels- what tires fit?!



Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan

Guest
Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to fit them!
I can might be able to pry a tire, but I'll never get off on on the side of the road. Anyone else
have this trouble?

Alan
 
Q

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
Alan-<< Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to
fit them! Campagnolo rims have always been a little 'big(703mm??)-and sometimes tough to get tires
onto-Samo with some of the older TREK/Matrix..

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
T

Tom Paterson

Guest
>From: [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo)

>Alan-<< Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to
>fit them! Campagnolo rims have always been a little 'big(703mm??)-and sometimes tough to get tires
>onto-Samo with some of the older TREK/Matrix.

Coming in late but I used a couple of different model Hutchinson folding tires (one was Excell IMS,
the other was also a cheaper Hutch folder) in a 23 size that went on Campy Montreal rims pretty easy
even when new. Just put on a pair Hutchinson Kronos, also 23's, even on Mavic Open and an old Wolber
Alpine, they were a struggle. A Conti GP 3000 in 23 size went on the Campy Montreal a little tight
but ok to take out of the house (no power tools required for changing a flat). --Tom Paterson
 
M

Mark A. Clark

Guest
I've had the same problem with a set of Shamal's I've had for a few years. Vredestein Fortezza'a
have worked well on these wheels. Michelins were almost impossible to get on and off.

Mark

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan-<< Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to
> fit them! Campagnolo rims have always been a little 'big(703mm??)-and sometimes
tough to
> get tires onto-Samo with some of the older TREK/Matrix..
>
>
>
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
S

Steve Brunsman

Guest
I have the Protons and yes they are BIG. I was able (with and only with tire levers) to get
some Michelin Pro Races on after running them on some Mavic wheels first (in order to "stretch"
them a bit)

Until running the Protons, I almost have NEVER used a tire lever, always able to change
tires by hand.

The Veloflexes were virtually impossible, BTW. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> Alan-<< Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to
> fit them! Campagnolo rims have always been a little 'big(703mm??)-and sometimes
tough to
> get tires onto-Samo with some of the older TREK/Matrix..
>
>
>
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
T

Triman

Guest
I've also had good luck with Vredesteins.

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to fit
> them! I can might be able to pry a tire, but I'll never get off on on the side of the road. Anyone
> else have this trouble?
>
> Alan
 
D

David Reuteler

Guest
Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
: Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to fit
: them! I can might be able to pry a tire, but I'll never get off on on the side of the road. Anyone
: else have this trouble?

Vittoria Open Corsa CX, as well.
--
david reuteler [email protected]
 
F

Fred Roses

Guest
Same experience with both my Protons and Scirocco's. Michelins are almost impossible, Conti GP3000's
somewhat more manageable..
 
J

Jeff

Guest
I have Protons and have never had a problem getting Conti Ultra Gatorskins on OR off. Just used a
Crank Bros. Speed Lever and a small bit of baby powder on the tubes.

Hope this helps... Jeff

"Steve Brunsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have the Protons and yes they are BIG. I was able (with and only with tire levers) to get
> some Michelin Pro Races on after running them on some Mavic wheels first (in order to "stretch"
> them a bit)
>
> Until running the Protons, I almost have NEVER used a tire lever, always able to change tires
> by hand.
>
> The Veloflexes were virtually impossible, BTW. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message news:[email protected]...
> > Alan-<< Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection
> > to fit them! Campagnolo rims have always been a little 'big(703mm??)-and sometimes
> tough to
> > get tires onto-Samo with some of the older TREK/Matrix..
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
G

Gocycle

Guest
"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to fit
> them! I can might be able to pry a tire, but I'll never get off on on the side of the road. Anyone
> else have this trouble?
>
> Alan

Yes, the perfect tire that fits all Campy wheelsets without anproblem are the Performance Elites.
They just went up in price. I think they are made by IRC or Panaracer. They can go on by hand the
first time around.

Luigi
 
S

Steve Blankensh

Guest
FWIW, the loosest-fitting 700C tires I've ever seen were Dutch Paribas - Pro Evolutions, as I
recall. Think they're made by Vredestein. Couldn't believe they stayed on the (Mavic) rims at high
pressure, but never had one come off. You could deflate them and just pull them right off the rim by
hand, both beads at once, tube still inside!

SB

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo)
>
> >Alan-<< Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection
> >to fit them! Campagnolo rims have always been a little 'big(703mm??)-and sometimes
tough
> >to get tires onto-Samo with some of the older TREK/Matrix.
>
> Coming in late but I used a couple of different model Hutchinson folding
tires
> (one was Excell IMS, the other was also a cheaper Hutch folder) in a 23
size
> that went on Campy Montreal rims pretty easy even when new. Just put on a
pair
> Hutchinson Kronos, also 23's, even on Mavic Open and an old Wolber Alpine,
they
> were a struggle. A Conti GP 3000 in 23 size went on the Campy Montreal a
little
> tight but ok to take out of the house (no power tools required for
changing a
> flat). --Tom Paterson
 
K

Ken

Guest
"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Picked up a 2nd hand set of Campy Protons for cheap- Not a single tire in my collection to fit
> them! I can might be able to pry a tire, but I'll never get off on on the side of the road. Anyone
> else have this trouble?
>
> Alan

You need tire levers(2) to get 'Pros' onto and off Campy wheels. The trick is not to get too greedy
with the amount of tire bead when prying on or off the rim. When prying on the tire and you have
about 6 inches of tire bead left over to pry in, just use the tire lever and inch it on an inch at a
time. By using this method I can put a new 'Pro' tire onto a campy wheel in ten minutes. When taking
off the tire first, use the tire lever to pry over a section of tire bead and anchor the lever to a
spoke. Second, use the second lever at about an inch distance from the first insertion and pry off
another section of tire bead and anchor that lever to a spoke. Remove the first lever and leap-frog
the second lever and at about an inch distance from it, pry off another section of tire bead. Repeat
this process until the pressure on the levers go slack. When slack the tire bead just peels right
off the rim. For me, using this method it takes me less than 5 minutes to remove a Michilin Axial
Pro tire from a Campy wheel.

Kenny Lee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.