Campy Proton Wheels

Andy

Guest
I am looking at a used bike w/ a proton wheelset. There is some play in the rear hub. Is this easily
adjustable? Is it common? I have read good things about this wheelset and think they have a 3 year
warranty, does anyone know if it transfers to second owners? thanx, andy

Andy-<< I am looking at a used bike w/ a proton wheelset. There is some play in the rear hub. Is
this easily adjustable? Is it common? >><BR><BR>

Yes and not that uncommon..Does the hub spin smoothly??

Original owner only, yes three year warranty.

Thanx peter, yes it spins smoothly. Should I have LBS do it or can it be done easily by shadetree

andy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanx peter, yes it spins smoothly. Should I have LBS do it or can it be done easily by shadetree
> mechanic?

You don't say what year proton you're looking at (I don't think there's much difference anyway), but
here's a link to Campy's website and the tech/spare part info on the 2002 proton wheels (they also
list spare parts and tools for going back to 1998). Go to page 9 of 33 and you'll see an exposed
parts diagram of the proton rear hub. It looks very, very similar to a standard chorus rear hub. If
you think you can take it apart do it. Its not that hard. If you're scare or not that
mechanically-incline, let a shop overhaul it. For diagram see here:

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares01-C.pdf