Campy pulleys

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Westall, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are the pulleys
    substantially different in width? TIA Paul

    Tags:

  2. pete asks-<< I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are
    the pulleys substantially different in width? >><BR><BR>

    You can use any(including a 10s) Campagnolo rear der w/o problem or modification, particularly with
    the pulleys...regardless of what some 'sites' say...we do this all the time(use a Centaur 10s rear
    der with 8s ERGO and chain, for instance)...

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are the pulleys
    > substantially different in width?

    We commonly replace smashed rear changers in Ergo-8 systems with the current
    9/10 models. They shift fine in the older system. Do check your chain/cassette wear and inspect the
    rear gear wire too.

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    My experience is 9 speed derailleurs work great with 8 speed drivetrains

    If you use a 9 speed chain

    Never tried an 8 speed chain, can't comment on that

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are the pulleys
    > substantially different in width? TIA Paul

  5. jeff-<< My experience is 9 speed derailleurs work great with 8 speed drivetrains

    If you use a 9 speed chain

    Never tried an 8 speed chain, can't comment on that
    >><BR><BR>

    We use 8s chains on 9 and 10sd rear mechs all the time w/o problem. I would not use a 9s chain on a
    8s drivetrain and expect good shifting.