Campy pulleys

Paul Westall

Guest
I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are the pulleys
substantially different in width? TIA Paul

pete asks-<< I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are
the pulleys substantially different in width? >><BR><BR>

You can use any(including a 10s) Campagnolo rear der w/o problem or modification, particularly with
the pulleys...regardless of what some 'sites' say...we do this all the time(use a Centaur 10s rear
der with 8s ERGO and chain, for instance)...

"Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are the pulleys
> substantially different in width?

We commonly replace smashed rear changers in Ergo-8 systems with the current
9/10 models. They shift fine in the older system. Do check your chain/cassette wear and inspect the
rear gear wire too.

My experience is 9 speed derailleurs work great with 8 speed drivetrains

If you use a 9 speed chain

Never tried an 8 speed chain, can't comment on that

"Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need to replace an 8 speed Campy derailleur. Will a new 9 speed work as is, or are the pulleys
> substantially different in width? TIA Paul

jeff-<< My experience is 9 speed derailleurs work great with 8 speed drivetrains

If you use a 9 speed chain

Never tried an 8 speed chain, can't comment on that
>><BR><BR>

We use 8s chains on 9 and 10sd rear mechs all the time w/o problem. I would not use a 9s chain on a
8s drivetrain and expect good shifting.