Campy Racing T crank 8,9 or 10speed

Jeff

Guest
I purchased a used Campagnolo Racing T 52/42/30 crankset.

How can I determine if it is 8, 9 or 10 speed?

Or is it unimportant?

jeff-<< I purchased a used Campagnolo Racing T 52/42/30 crankset.

How can I determine if it is 8, 9 or 10 speed?

Or is it unimportant? >><BR><BR>

Doesn't matter, but no '10s' Racing T..

I forgot to ask: What is a Racing Triple? Where does it fit in the Campy line?

I understand Record, Chorus & Centaur/Daytona. Functionally equivalent, but lighter and better-
finished as the price increases.

I understand Veloce, it's a step below.

And I understand Mirage. It's the stuff that's breaking and giving me the opportunity to upgrade to
"real" Campy.

Where does the Racing Triple fit?

m28.aol.com...

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I forgot to ask: What is a Racing Triple? Where does it fit in the Campy line?
>
> I understand Record, Chorus & Centaur/Daytona. Functionally equivalent, but lighter and better-
> finished as the price increases.
>
> I understand Veloce, it's a step below.
>
> And I understand Mirage. It's the stuff that's breaking and giving me the opportunity to upgrade
> to "real" Campy.
>
> Where does the Racing Triple fit?

Racing Triple was originated quite a few years ago by Campagnolo when only Mirage and Veloce had
triple cranksets available. It was started when Campagnolo called their Centaur/Daytona group
Athena. I always associated it with the Athena group. And then with the Daytona when it was around
for a year or two. I do not think there were any official Daytona triples. Or Athena triples. Then
Campagnolo changed the name of its third group to Centaur after Ferrari threatened to sue them for
using the Daytona name. And then Campagnolo started making an official Centaur triple crankset. I
suspect Campagnolo also saw Shimano was selling a bundle of Ultegra and 105 triple cranks and
figured they should get in this market. And then Campagnolo offered a Record triple last year, or
the year before, for the first time. And now even a Chorus triple for 2004.

Jeff wrote:
> I forgot to ask: What is a Racing Triple? Where does it fit in the Campy line?

Racing T provided triple derailleurs and cranksets to go with 9-speed Chorus and Record groups which
didn't have triple options.

> I understand Record, Chorus & Centaur/Daytona. Functionally equivalent, but lighter and better-
> finished as the price increases.
>
> I understand Veloce, it's a step below.
>
> And I understand Mirage. It's the stuff that's breaking and giving me the opportunity to upgrade
> to "real" Campy.

Mirage, Veloce, Centaur and Racing T triple crank arms are all the same thing, just with different
badges & finish. Chainrings are different.

Mirage is real Campy, IMO. Even some of Xenon is real Campy.

> Where does the Racing Triple fit?

Above Veloce; practically same level as Centaur with a shinier finish. I thought it had been
discontinued (?), although some NOS is still available at least.

~PB

Cipher-<< FWIW, Chorus was available in a triple for '03. >><BR><BR>

Really small point but altho there were Chorus rear ders and BBs in triple for 2003, the Chorus
triple crank and front der is new for 2004...