Campy RD ad nauseum...

richard

Guest
Will any Campy 8-spd rear derailleur work with a 10-speed
cluster/shifter, or is its range of motion too limited? I have the
9-spd Chorus shifters, most of the parts to convert to 10-spd, but I'm
needing some sort of rear derailleur (goodbye ShimaNO!).

Thanks!

richard asks-<< Will any Campy 8-spd rear derailleur work with a 10-speed
cluster/shifter, or is its range of motion too limited? >><BR><BR>

Yes. As long as it isn't worn out, a 8s rear der will work with 9 or 10s
ERGO/shifters and cogset w/o any modification...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 15 Dec 2004 14:06:21 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Yes. As long as it isn't worn out, a 8s rear der will work with 9 or 10s
>ERGO/shifters and cogset w/o any modification...

And, even though the 8sp cage is shorter than today's models, you can
still run the 13/29 cassette. The pulleys are smaller in diameter on
the 8sp.

My wife's bicycle is using a Record 8sp rear derailleur with a 13/29
cassette and 48/34 rings. I bent my rear derailleur on my 10sp setup
and used an 8sp rear derailleur w/o any problem.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> richard asks-<< Will any Campy 8-spd rear derailleur work with a

10-speed
> cluster/shifter, or is its range of motion too limited? >><BR><BR>
>
> Yes. As long as it isn't worn out, a 8s rear der will work with 9 or

10s
> ERGO/shifters and cogset w/o any modification...

Is it a myth that you have to replace the 8 speed pulleys, and that
older 8 and 9 speed derailleurs won't work with post 2002 Ergo levers ??

I know the cable pull's the same with Campy 8/9/10 setups, but I thought the 9/10 speeders had differently sculpted cages so they wouldn't get mangled by the spokes. Doesn't 9/10 place the biggest cog a bit further inboard?

Still, I have heard of zillions of people doing this successfully. As I understand it, you just have to be careful with your inboard limit screw.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> richard asks-<< Will any Campy 8-spd rear derailleur work with a

10-speed
> cluster/shifter, or is its range of motion too limited? >><BR><BR>
>
> Yes. As long as it isn't worn out, a 8s rear der will work with 9 or

10s
> ERGO/shifters and cogset w/o any modification...

Is it a myth that you have to replace the 8 speed pulleys, and that
older 8 and 9 speed derailleurs won't work with post 2002 Ergo levers ??

david-<< Doesn't 9/10 place the biggest cog a bit further
inboard? >><BR><BR>

Not an issue when using an 8s rear der.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

rdkill-<< Is it a myth that you have to replace the 8 speed pulleys, and that
older 8 and 9 speed derailleurs won't work with post 2002 Ergo levers ??
>><BR><BR>

Yes it is, perpetuated by some 'web sites' that want your Money but don't seem
to have tried these various combos. All MO places are pretty bad in this
regard.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> rdkill-<< Is it a myth that you have to replace the 8 speed pulleys, and
> that
> older 8 and 9 speed derailleurs won't work with post 2002 Ergo levers ??
> >><BR><BR>

> Yes it is, perpetuated by some 'web sites' that want your Money but don't
> seem
> to have tried these various combos.

10s drivetrain and compatibility: Rear derailleur

Dear Peter, I have the utmost respect for you and truly want to believe this
as it will save me a ton of cash when I upgrade my 8s Cyclocross bike. I
gotta say I am just a bit sqeemish here as I still suffer nightmares from
the time I shifted a beautiful C-Record rear derailleur into my spokes.

What do you say to Campagnolo's FAQ at:
http://www.campagnolo.com/qea_search.php?gid=1&cid=1&key=comp

Here they say
=============================
Does the 9s rear derailleur work with the 10s drivetrain?

Absolutely not. There are major problems with lateral clearance and
excursion, and with the geometry of the parallelogram.
=============================

Is Campy in on this hoax designed to sell more nicely polished bits of
aluminum?

Sincerly;

Dave

Someone asked:

>>>Is it a myth that you have to replace the 8 speed pulleys, and
>>>that older 8 and 9 speed derailleurs won't work with post 2002
>>>Ergo levers ??

Peter Chisholm, who knows more about Campagnolo stuff than anybody else

Dave Reckoning wrote:

> Dear Peter, I have the utmost respect for you and truly want to believe this
> as it will save me a ton of cash when I upgrade my 8s Cyclocross bike. I
> gotta say I am just a bit sqeemish here as I still suffer nightmares from
> the time I shifted a beautiful C-Record rear derailleur into my spokes.

Shifting a derailer into the spokes can only result from two possible
causes:

1. Failure to adjust the low-gear limit stop screw correctly.

B. Getting the derailer bashed by something.

_If_ Peter were wrong about this (and I don't believe he is) the _worst_
that could happen would be slow shifting due to less than perfect indexing.

No possible mismatch of derailer to shifter can possibly damage your
derailer under any circumstance.

Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown
| It is the province of knowledge to speak and |
| it is the privilege of wisdom to listen. |
| -- Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Dave Reckoning wrote:
> Dear Peter, I have the utmost respect for you and truly want to believe this
> as it will save me a ton of cash when I upgrade my 8s Cyclocross bike. I
> gotta say I am just a bit sqeemish

-snip-
> I still suffer nightmares from
> the time I shifted a beautiful C-Record rear derailleur into my spokes.

-snip-
> Is Campy in on this hoax designed to sell more nicely polished bits of
> aluminum?

Absolutely shift your rear changer with your thumb after and
gear work and before riding.

With your first two fingers behind the cable adjuster, press
your thumb against the right side of the nameplate while
pedaling with your other hand. Make that shift (to low
gear) smartly a couple of times. If there is any error in
your adjustment you will find it before riding.

There is a slight difference between the older ( B screw at
the top pivot) and newer ( B screw at the lower pivot)
Campagnolo changers. That difference is very slight, less
than the float of your upper pulley. One rider here reports
difficulties , most found shifting suitable.

I agree with Peter. Between 9 & 10 no difference at all.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:42:50 GMT, "Dave Reckoning"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>=============================
>Does the 9s rear derailleur work with the 10s drivetrain?
>
>Absolutely not. There are major problems with lateral clearance and
>excursion, and with the geometry of the parallelogram.
>=============================
>
>Is Campy in on this hoax designed to sell more nicely polished bits of
>aluminum?

If it doesn't work, than I know at least 6 bicycles that run a 9sp
derailleur with 10sp. I have a Record 10 Ergo and Record 10 post '01
rear derailleur, a Daytona 9 Ergo pre '01 and post '01 rear
derailleur, and a Centaur 10 with either an 8sp or 9sp pre '91. They
work the same.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:33:36 -0500, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote:

>1. Failure to adjust the low-gear limit stop screw correctly.
>
>B. Getting the derailer bashed by something.

And having a chain that is too short when you slam it into the big/big
combination.

I was stupid enought to do this twice. Peter fixed the first rear
deralleur and the second one is on the way to his shop now. The
dropout got bent on the first, steel bike and the dropout needed
replacement on the Cannondale.

Dave-<< I
gotta say I am just a bit sqeemish here as I still suffer nightmares from
the time I shifted a beautiful C-Record rear derailleur into my spokes.

What do you say to Campagnolo's FAQ >><BR><BR>

I say-into the spokes is a limit screw issue, not a compatibility issue. You
could chuck any rear der into the spokes if you get it past the limit screw.

I say...we have used old Campagnolo rear ders with 10s and new rear ders with
8s and they work. The first 10s ERGO I put on was on Dave Brintin's DeRosa,
with a new 10s rear wheel but a 1996 Athena rear der-worked great. The next was
a carbon Record 10s rear der onto Colby Pearce's 8s rig...worked as well.

We have tried it and it works. No problems with amount of movement and
clearance. The pulleys on a 9s rear der are marked '9s-10s'. Andy Muzi has had
the same results.

Try it and see for your self.......

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Paul Kopit wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:33:36 -0500, Sheldon Brown
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> 1. Failure to adjust the low-gear limit stop screw correctly.
>>
>> B. Getting the derailer bashed by something.

> And having a chain that is too short when you slam it into the big/big
> combination.
>
> I was stupid enought to do this twice. Peter fixed the first rear
> deralleur and the second one is on the way to his shop now. The
> dropout got bent on the first, steel bike and the dropout needed
> replacement on the Cannondale.

Wouldn't running your chain long enough to (barely) accommodate big/big
prevent this type of damage?

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:39:25 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I was stupid enought to do this twice. Peter fixed the first rear
>> deralleur and the second one is on the way to his shop now. The
>> dropout got bent on the first, steel bike and the dropout needed
>> replacement on the Cannondale.

>Wouldn't running your chain long enough to (barely) accommodate big/big
>prevent this type of damage?

Having the chain be able to go into the big/big combination certainly
will cure this problem. It happens because I wax all the chains at
the same time and putting the wrong chain on or, changing cassettes
and not remembering to change chain.