campy rear deraileur with compact crank

Jack Riley

Guest
Hi Everyone,

I've got an older 8 speed (shimano) road bike with down tube shifters,
and I'm thinking about doing the shimanglo thing (9 speed cassette
with 9 speed ergo levers and rear der.)

I'm thinking of adding a compact crank when the mid priced ones become
more available, will the campy short cage deraileur handle the larger
tooth difrential (with a 12-25 cassette)? Or do I need the medium or
long cage?

Thanks!

Jack

jack-<< I'm thinking of adding a compact crank when the mid priced ones become
more available, will the campy short cage deraileur handle the larger
tooth difrential (with a 12-25 cassette)? >><BR><BR>

Yep, w/o problem.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 1 Jun 2004 06:56:07 -0700, [email protected] (Jack Riley)
wrote:

>I'm thinking of adding a compact crank when the mid priced ones become
>more available, will the campy short cage deraileur handle the larger
>tooth difrential (with a 12-25 cassette)? Or do I need the medium or
>long cage?

The current Campy standard cage rear derailleurs handle 50/34 x 13/29.
I've forgotten what year they made the cage on standard cage models
slightly longer. I'd guess about 3 years ago. If you have a rear
derailleur from prior to 3 years ago, using an 8sp derailleur pulley
will permit using the 50/34 and 13/29. My wife's bike has a Record
8sp rear derailleur and it does 48/34 and 13/29, 10 sp w/o a problem.
Before 10sp, she was suing a 13/30 cassette.

I use a Record 9sp rear derailleur and 50/34 x 13/29. It just makes
it with the safe length chain.