campy rear deraileur with compact crank

Jack Riley

Guest
Hi Everyone,

I've got an older 8 speed (shimano) road bike with down tube
shifters, and I'm thinking about doing the shimanglo thing
(9 speed cassette with 9 speed ergo levers and rear der.)

I'm thinking of adding a compact crank when the mid priced
ones become more available, will the campy short cage
deraileur handle the larger tooth difrential (with a 12-25
cassette)? Or do I need the medium or long cage?

Thanks!

Jack

jack-<< I'm thinking of adding a compact crank when the mid
priced ones become more available, will the campy short cage
deraileur handle the larger tooth difrential (with a 12-25
cassette)? >><BR><BR>

Yep, w/o problem.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On 1 Jun 2004 06:56:07 -0700, [email protected] (Jack Riley)
wrote:

>I'm thinking of adding a compact crank when the mid priced
>ones become more available, will the campy short cage
>deraileur handle the larger tooth difrential (with a 12-25
>cassette)? Or do I need the medium or long cage?

The current Campy standard cage rear derailleurs handle
50/34 x 13/29. I've forgotten what year they made the cage
on standard cage models slightly longer. I'd guess about 3
years ago. If you have a rear derailleur from prior to 3
years ago, using an 8sp derailleur pulley will permit using
the 50/34 and 13/29. My wife's bike has a Record 8sp rear
derailleur and it does 48/34 and 13/29, 10 sp w/o a problem.
Before 10sp, she was suing a 13/30 cassette.

I use a Record 9sp rear derailleur and 50/34 x 13/29. It
just makes it with the safe length chain.