Campy rear hub rebuild

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew Karre, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Karre

Andrew Karre Guest

I repacked the bearings in my 2000 Campy Record rear hub this weekend. It was something of an
    ordeal, as the hub is lot more complicated than cheaper cup and cone units I've fiddled with before
    (it is marvelously well built, though). I did eventually get all the bearings regreased and repacked
    and got the cones back in along with all the various bushings and washers. Without thinking, I
    smeared a dab of grease on the freehub gear (the gear the pawls run on) before I replaced the
    freehub body. I stuck the wheel on a bike and adjusted the hubs. Interestingly, the hub no longer
    makes much noise when it freewheels. This was a loud hub before, and now it is very quiet and
    perhaps does not freewheel as long (when I spin the wheel with the bike on the stand). Is this the
    grease I foolishly globbed onto the freewheel body gear? Do I need to worry about it? Should I take
    the cassette and the freehub body off and clean out the grease? I'm slightly worried that it might
    cause the pawls to engage less than completely. It's a beautiful hub and I'm loathe to damage
    through mechanical ineptitude.

Thanks, Andrew Karre

Tags:

2. andrew-<< Without thinking, I smeared a dab of grease on the freehub gear . << the hub no longer
    makes much noise when it freewheels. This was a loud hub before, and now it is very quiet and
    perhaps does not freewheel as long

A wee bit of grease around the pawls is not a big deal, a lot can be if the pawls get stuck down, a
    bad thing.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.