Campy Record 10 rear Durallieur adjustment?



Jaguar27

New Member
Sep 19, 2003
648
0
0
Hello All...
I have been adjusting the rear Durailleur today on my Campy Record Six13...

I know it's pretty straight forward, there's the upper and lower edjusting screws and the Cable tention adjuster, but could I get it right? Could I *%#@!!!....

The problem is, when I index up or down the chain skips a gear or two..

Also, I'm not sure how close the top jockey wheel should be from the Largest sprocket when it's in that position...

I don't wanna take it to the LBS, It's really bugging me now and I want to find out what the problem is...

Any help will really be appreciated... :confused: :mad:
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Jaguar27 said:
Hello All...
I have been adjusting the rear Durailleur today on my Campy Record Six13...

I know it's pretty straight forward, there's the upper and lower edjusting screws and the Cable tention adjuster, but could I get it right? Could I *%#@!!!....

The problem is, when I index up or down the chain skips a gear or two..

Also, I'm not sure how close the top jockey wheel should be from the Largest sprocket when it's in that position...

I don't wanna take it to the LBS, It's really bugging me now and I want to find out what the problem is...

Any help will really be appreciated... :confused: :mad:
Cable tension can be as critical as a 1/4 trun. Be sure the cable is attached in the correct positon at the RD.
 

Jaguar27

New Member
Sep 19, 2003
648
0
0
Thanks for the reply art...
Well, Guys don't read instructions but yesterday I did go to the campy site and downloaded what you quoted and started over...still no luck....

I just re-checked the indexing, and from the smallest cog, one click won't shift down, two will...

I'm assuming nothing is worn/bent/broken because the bike has only done 400 miles...and it's been babied...

But thanks again for taking the time to reply....

artmichalek said:
You've got to adjust the three in just the right order. The manual is here:
http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/REAR_DERAILLEUR.pdf
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Jaguar27 said:
Thanks for the reply art...
Well, Guys don't read instructions but yesterday I did go to the campy site and downloaded what you quoted and started over...still no luck....

I just re-checked the indexing, and from the smallest cog, one click won't shift down, two will...

I'm assuming nothing is worn/bent/broken because the bike has only done 400 miles...and it's been babied...

But thanks again for taking the time to reply....
Cable tension and possibly a bit too lose hi llimit.
 

Jaguar27

New Member
Sep 19, 2003
648
0
0
Thanks boudreaux...

Campy says to start at the smallest cog with the shift lever zero'd out, I did that...so I'm assuming there shouldn't be any tension in the cable at that point, or very little, because the Dur is resting on the lower stop screw...

Then it says to index to the #4 cog and adjust the tension so the top pulley aligns with #4's axis....so from what they're saying, all the adjustment should be done in that position....I did that, but there's not enough tension to get the chain over the largest cog....(It's a 10 speed Cassette)....

Just to clarify, what do you mean by correct position at the RD?

Thanks for your time....;-)

boudreaux said:
Cable tension can be as critical as a 1/4 trun. Be sure the cable is attached in the correct positon at the RD.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Jaguar27 said:
Thanks boudreaux...

Campy says to start at the smallest cog with the shift lever zero'd out, I did that...so I'm assuming there shouldn't be any tension in the cable at that point, or very little, because the Dur is resting on the lower stop screw...

Then it says to index to the #4 cog and adjust the tension so the top pulley aligns with #4's axis....so from what they're saying, all the adjustment should be done in that position....I did that, but there's not enough tension to get the chain over the largest cog....(It's a 10 speed Cassette)....

Just to clarify, what do you mean by correct position at the RD?

Thanks for your time....;-)
You have to have tension on the cable when attaching it. Not too much, not too litle. The you have the adjuster to fine tune it. If it isn't shifting off the small cog with the first shift,the tension is too loose. Yes at the RD. www.parktool.com also has the complete drill for derailer adjustment in the repair section.
 

Jaguar27

New Member
Sep 19, 2003
648
0
0
Thanks for the fast response boudreaux!

I monkey'd with the initial tension again to try and get it close and set the adjuster kinda midway to give me room to adjust in either direction....

I THINK I've kinda got it right now, I'll get my gear on and go for a test ride...

Thanks again!!

BTW, it's correct what you say about 1/4 turn increments when fine tuning...I was adjusting more than that yesterday...so thanks for that...



boudreaux said:
You have to have tension on the cable when attaching it. Not too much, not too litle. The you have the adjuster to fine tune it. If it isn't shifting off the small cog with the first shift,the tension is too loose. Yes at the RD. www.parktool.com also has the complete drill for derailer adjustment in the repair section.
 

fveaux

New Member
May 13, 2003
2
0
0
The previous remark from Boudreaux is very important.
The way you have passed your cable through the adjustment screw is very important : you have to check your way is like described on page 27 of the Campagnolo PDF (Figure 11).
I used to have big shifting problems due to a wrong cable adjustment.
As soon as I passed the cable the right way , the problem was solved.

Fab.
 

Jaguar27

New Member
Sep 19, 2003
648
0
0
Thanks Fab...

Yes, boudreux, and yourself of course, are right...I did check out the campy installation guide...the initial tension on the cable is critical, as well as the fine/final adjustments of course...

The U and L Screws are easy enough....

I guess it just takes practice...I was adjusting by too much incrementaly, only 1/4 turn is needed..or even 1/8...thanks boud...

I was on the right track but I asked the question to confirm I hadn't done anything horribly wrong..

Thanks again...

fveaux said:
The previous remark from Boudreaux is very important.
The way you have passed your cable through the adjustment screw is very important : you have to check your way is like described on page 27 of the Campagnolo PDF (Figure 11).
I used to have big shifting problems due to a wrong cable adjustment.
As soon as I passed the cable the right way , the problem was solved.

Fab.