Campy Record 10sp chains, how long before replacement?

sillystorm

Jul 29, 2001
Could you please tell me your experiences with how many Kilometres or miles that you have ridden before the chain is worn?
I have just upgraded bike and components to Record and have no experience with this grouppo.
Previously i have used Sachs/ SRAM chains and replaced them on a regular 6 monthly basis, this seemed to be a good length of time for those cheaper chains before they started to wear the freewheel.

Thanks in advance.
PS just cant wait to get my bike on the road (just waiting for forks to arrive)
Merlin Agilis
10sp Record
Mavic Kysirium SL
Easton carbon components
:D

sillystorm said:
Could you please tell me your experiences with how many Kilometres or miles that you have ridden before the chain is worn?
I have just upgraded bike and components to Record and have no experience with this grouppo.
Previously i have used Sachs/ SRAM chains and replaced them on a regular 6 monthly basis, this seemed to be a good length of time for those cheaper chains before they started to wear the freewheel.

I just replaced my Campy 10 speed chain after about 6 months of riding (~3500 miles). I have a Park Tool chain checker (which I highly reccomend if you ride a lot) and replaced when it read .75% on the tool. It's better to replace a $35 chain than a much more expensive cassette. You really can't go by miles or time though. How you care for the chain and the conditions you ride in make a big difference which is why I highly reccomend the chain checker.

http://www.parktool.com/tools/CC_2.shtml

Scott

sillystorm said:

Thanks in advance.
PS just cant wait to get my bike on the road (just waiting for forks to arrive)
Merlin Agilis
10sp Record
Mavic Kysirium SL
Easton carbon components
What a waste.You need to get a clue and learn how to measure a chain for wear. The bule clue: miles and months are meaningless.

boudreaux said:
What a waste.You need to get a clue and learn how to measure a chain for wear. The bule clue: miles and months are meaningless.

Yes your right!.... I should have added to my post that I DO measure the chain before replacing and when its stretched 1/16th of an inch I replace it. I usually find that around 6mths its worn by that much.

Possibly I should have asked those that use Record how their chainwear rates, compared to previous chains, that people have used .... rather than leave myself open to put downs. By the way.. whats a 'bule clue'???

To scottsheilds- Thank you for the help, a sensible answer and one that helps this community. :eek:

sillystorm said:
Yes your right!.... I should have added to my post that I DO measure the chain before replacing and when its stretched 1/16th of an inch I replace it. I usually find that around 6mths its worn by that much.

Possibly I should have asked those that use Record how their chainwear rates, compared to previous chains, that people have used .... rather than leave myself open to put downs. By the way.. whats a 'bule clue'???

To scottsheilds- Thank you for the help, a sensible answer and one that helps this community. :eek:
FWIW, I have known folks who get 10-12,000 miles out of record chains.

I finally got one of those Park CC-3 chain checkers. Very convenient go/no-go gauge for about $8 vs the old steel rule. BTW, I've got 3900 miles on a SRAM PC-99 now. It's still within the 0.75% wear limits and going strong.