campy record 2003 vs 2004?

jakeni

Nov 17, 2003
I am looking at a 2004 record groupo, but dont like the looks of the different colored chainrings and there is way too much carbon on the derailleurs. I prefer the shinny polished parts on the 2003 groupos that I think look much richer. All the carbon stuff looks like cheap plastic. However, I have not seen them in person and web picture don't always do justice. Are there any real benefits of the 2004 stuff over the 2003 stuff other than some reduced weight and extra cost? Is the 2004 stuff compatible with the 2003 stuff? There is not much 2003 stuff left which means I will have to do a mix and match if I want the shinny parts. Has anyone seen the 2004 record groupo? Does the carbon fiber look better in person than on the web?
Thanks.

Originally posted by jakeni
I am looking at a 2004 record groupo, but dont like the looks of the different colored chainrings and there is way too much carbon on the derailleurs. I prefer the shinny polished parts on the 2003 groupos that I think look much richer. All the carbon stuff looks like cheap plastic. However, I have not seen them in person and web picture don't always do justice. Are there any real benefits of the 2004 stuff over the 2003 stuff other than some reduced weight and extra cost? Is the 2004 stuff compatible with the 2003 stuff? There is not much 2003 stuff left which means I will have to do a mix and match if I want the shinny parts. Has anyone seen the 2004 record groupo? Does the carbon fiber look better in person than on the web?
Thanks.
DA has no CF.

Originally posted by jakeni
Thanks.

I've got the '04 Record, and ascetically I think it looks just fine! When I built up this bike, I borrowed a friends that is decked out with '03 Record to see how his was assembled. (I'd never installed Campy on a bike before, lots of Shimano). The weight difference between the two is not worth discussing... (They are so close). Having seen both side by side, if I had it to do over again, I would select the '04 stuff. (IMO, the carbon fiber just has that higher tech look!) Compatibility between them is a non-issue. No benefits with one over the other that I can see performance wise, but then again I only have 30 minutes on the rollers in the basement to judge the '04 stuff by. :D Hope this helps!

Buy the 2004 Chorus if you like the 2003 Record better since Chorus 2004 is Record 2003

I thought about Chorus, but this is my dream bike and I want to have campy's top of the line groupo. What can I say.....

Cipher, it sound like the new carbon has a rich look and not a cheesy look, so maybee I'll go with the 2004, I did find a 2003 crank, so at least it will have the shinny chain rings.

Thanks for your help.

I did find a 2003 crank, so at least it will have the shinny chain rings.[/B]

2004 Record carbon cranks are not the same as 2003 Record carbon cranks. The 2004s are re-designed and made of a different carbon weave using a different manufacturing process. It was widely reported that the 2003 carbon cranks were not very stiff. Campy revamped the 2004s, resulting in an increase in torsional stiffness. 2004s also have new chainrings treated for longer wear. Both weigh about the same.