Campy Record chain and Wippermann connex link

Chuck731

Nov 15, 2005
I plan to swap between the normal 53/39 - 11/23 and 52/40/30 - 13/26, depending on the ride condition. This means I have to break the chain many time to thread them through the short and medium cage derailleurs. Campy 10sp record chain comes with a special re-link pin for joining the ends of the chain. It says not to use any normal pin to join the chain, not to ever take the re-link pin out once its been used, and to use no more than 3 re-link pins per chain. This means the chain can only be broken and relinked 3 times. So I've been considering using Wippermann connex link on Record 10sp chain to allow the chain to be broken and relinked many times. My questions are:

1. Has anyone tried the Wippermann connex link on a record hollowpin chain, or does it only sound good to my simpleton mind and doesn't really work?

2. The connex link seems to rely on chain tension to keep itself in place, and doesn't seem to make a positive lock. So it seem weaker than your typical chain link. Has anyone have a wippermann link open unexpectedly during a ride?

3. I think special campy link pin probably fits tighter in the outer link-plate than normal pin to making the rejoint link strong, but it probably doesn't fit any differently in the inner link plate or the roller, or else the link will be stiff. If I plan to replace that half linked I used the campy pin with the Wippermann connex link, that means I can safely punch out the original Campy relink pin, right?

Chuck731 said:
I plan to swap between the normal 53/39 - 11/23 and 52/40/30 - 13/26, depending on the ride condition. This means I have to break the chain many time to thread them through the short and medium cage derailleurs. Campy 10sp record chain comes with a special re-link pin for joining the ends of the chain. It says not to use any normal pin to join the chain, not to ever take the re-link pin out once its been used, and to use no more than 3 re-link pins per chain. This means the chain can only be broken and relinked 3 times. So I've been considering using Wippermann connex link on Record 10sp chain to allow the chain to be broken and relinked many times. My questions are:

1. Has anyone tried the Wippermann connex link on a record hollowpin chain, or does it only sound good to my simpleton mind and doesn't really work?

2. The connex link seems to rely on chain tension to keep itself in place, and doesn't seem to make a positive lock. So it seem weaker than your typical chain link. Has anyone have a wippermann link open unexpectedly during a ride?

3. I think special campy link pin probably fits tighter in the outer link-plate than normal pin to making the rejoint link strong, but it probably doesn't fit any differently in the inner link plate or the roller, or else the link will be stiff. If I plan to replace that half linked I used the campy pin with the Wippermann connex link, that means I can safely punch out the original Campy relink pin, right?

I had asked our friend Boudreaux this question shortly before his tragedy and he told me that he runs the Connex link with a Campy chain all the time. I took his advise and purchased a connex link to use with my Record 10 chain (not the hollowpin version, but I doubt it would matter). The bike is on the display rack for the winter and I haven't been able to test it yet, but I'm sure Boudreaux wouldn't steer me wrong.

I've been using a connex link on my Chorus 10 bike since 2002.

It has never opened up unexpectedly.

It is always easy to disassemble.

I have never had a moment's problem with it. It works, and works very well.

As I like to chuck my chains into an ultrasonic cleaner a couple of times a year, that one time only pin and $60 chain link tool sounded like a waste of money. So I tried the connex link. And I worried about the same things that you do, but in over three years of riding, none of the potential problems has arisen.

Chuck731 said:

I think the the best solution for you is to keep the medium cage derailleur on the bike with the longer chain at all times. It will work fine with the double crankset and the smaller cassette. There is no need to remove the chain or RD to switch out the drive components when going to the more flat road gearing combination. The medium cage RD shifts just as well as the short and only weighs a few grams more. While the smaller cassette and double chairing allows a shorter cage derailleur, it does not require it.