Campy Record Front Brake Won't Fit on Fork

Kenny

Guest
While in the process of installing an Easton EC90 SL 1" steerer I
found the brake boss won't go completely into the fork hole. What to
do? I have a picture to show what I mean.

http://bayimg.com/MafanaABi

Is that a Campy nut or an Easton-supplied nut? I'd contact Easton.

Kenny wrote:
> While in the process of installing an Easton EC90 SL 1" steerer I
> found the brake boss won't go completely into the fork hole. What to
> do? I have a picture to show what I mean.
>
> http://bayimg.com/MafanaABi

Asked the LBS where I bought it from. It turns out that the bolt hole
was made for a Shimano bolt. The LBS boss told me to bring in the fork
along with the brake assembly. He told me that he can machine the bolt
down to size so my Camp brake will mount properly. Glad I didn't buy
this online. Phew!

Kenny wrote:
> Asked the LBS where I bought it from. It turns out that the bolt hole
> was made for a Shimano bolt.

eh? they're both 6mm.

> The LBS boss told me to bring in the fork
> along with the brake assembly. He told me that he can machine the bolt
> down to size so my Camp brake will mount properly. Glad I didn't buy
> this online. Phew!

while it's "good" that you're getting a fix, i'd be extremely suspicious
of this individual's competence - campy and shimano have identical brake
mounting specs.

On Aug 11, 7:12 am, Kenny <[email protected]> wrote:
> Asked the LBS where I bought it from. It turns out that the bolt hole
> was made for a Shimano bolt. The LBS boss told me to bring in the fork
> along with the brake assembly. He told me that he can machine the bolt
> down to size so my Camp brake will mount properly. Glad I didn't buy
> this online. Phew!

Campagnolo and shimano brake 'nuts' and bolts are the same size. I
would say just some 'stuff' in the hole, like clearcoat. A wee bit of
'awl'-ing and some grasso and it'll go in no sweat.

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Asked the LBS where I bought it from. It turns out that the bolt hole
> was made for a Shimano bolt. The LBS boss told me to bring in the fork
> along with the brake assembly. He told me that he can machine the bolt
> down to size so my Camp brake will mount properly. Glad I didn't buy
> this online. Phew!

I've just had a good chuckle over this. The shop guy told you that there
was a difference between Shimano and Campy brake mounting bolts?? Too
funny.

Don't machine the bolt - the issue is with the carbon clearcoat or gunk in
the bolt hole. 30 seconds with a small circular section file will fix this.

On Aug 11, 10:57 pm, "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Asked the LBS where I bought it from. It turns out that the bolt hole
> > was made for a Shimano bolt. The LBS boss told me to bring in the fork
> > along with the brake assembly. He told me that he can machine the bolt
> > down to size so my Camp brake will mount properly. Glad I didn't buy
> > this online. Phew!

> I've just had a good chuckle over this. The shop guy told you that there
> was a difference between Shimano and Campy brake mounting bolts?? Too
> funny.
>
> Don't machine the bolt - the issue is with the carbon clearcoat or gunk in
> the bolt hole. 30 seconds with a small circular section file will fix this.

Actually I'm the dummy who thought that Shimano and Campy had
different bolt specs, but the LBS boss did say that machining the bolt
was an option. On another note, I've decided to do some careful
drilling of the brake bolt hole only problem is the bolt measures 7mm
in diameter and my drill bits are in inches. Oh well, another trip to
the hardware store.

Kenny wrote:
> While in the process of installing an Easton EC90 SL 1" steerer I
> found the brake boss won't go completely into the fork hole. What to
> do? I have a picture to show what I mean.
> http://bayimg.com/MafanaABi

May just be a drip of clear coat in the bore. Look to see if that's all.
Run the stepped reamer through the countersunk brake hole first
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Kenny wrote:
> On Aug 11, 10:57 pm, "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Asked the LBS where I bought it from. It turns out that the bolt hole
>>> was made for a Shimano bolt. The LBS boss told me to bring in the fork
>>> along with the brake assembly. He told me that he can machine the bolt
>>> down to size so my Camp brake will mount properly. Glad I didn't buy
>>> this online. Phew!

>> I've just had a good chuckle over this. The shop guy told you that there
>> was a difference between Shimano and Campy brake mounting bolts?? Too
>> funny.
>>
>> Don't machine the bolt - the issue is with the carbon clearcoat or gunk in
>> the bolt hole. 30 seconds with a small circular section file will fix this.

> Actually I'm the dummy who thought that Shimano and Campy had
> different bolt specs, but the LBS boss did say that machining the bolt
> was an option. On another note, I've decided to do some careful
> drilling of the brake bolt hole only problem is the bolt measures 7mm
> in diameter

check that again!!! it's 6mm - don't over-drill.

> and my drill bits are in inches. Oh well, another trip to
> the hardware store.

you don't need to "drill" as such, simply awl the excess clearcoat out.
using a drill bit by hand can do that. doesn't need to be a precise fit.

Kenny wrote:
> Actually I'm the dummy who thought that Shimano and Campy had
> different bolt specs, but the LBS boss did say that machining the bolt
> was an option. On another note, I've decided to do some careful
> drilling of the brake bolt hole only problem is the bolt measures 7mm
> in diameter and my drill bits are in inches. Oh well, another trip to
> the hardware store.

7mm is 9/32 inches but the front hole (brake bolt) is 6mm (1/4 inch) and
the sleeved nut is 8mm OD (5/16 inches). The USA dimensions above are
approximate but drill bits chatter more than the differences involved.
Use the appropriate reamer to clear the excess clear. You don't want to
make a three-sided hole in your carbon from the drill bit harmonics.
--

On Aug 11, 11:55 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
> > On Aug 11, 10:57 pm, "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> I've just had a good chuckle over this. The shop guy told you that there
> >> was a difference between Shimano and Campy brake mounting bolts?? Too
> >> funny.

> >> Don't machine the bolt - the issue is with the carbon clearcoat or gunk in
> >> the bolt hole. 30 seconds with a small circular section file will fix this.

> > Actually I'm the dummy who thought that Shimano and Campy had
> > different bolt specs, but the LBS boss did say that machining the bolt
> > was an option. On another note, I've decided to do some careful
> > drilling of the brake bolt hole only problem is the bolt measures 7mm
> > in diameter

> check that again!!! it's 6mm - don't over-drill.
>
> > and my drill bits are in inches. Oh well, another trip to
> > the hardware store.

> you don't need to "drill" as such, simply awl the excess clearcoat out.
> using a drill bit by hand can do that. doesn't need to be a precise fit.

Don't have an awl. But I do have a Black & Decker electric drill which
I've used to drill-away some of the excess. Still 1mm shy. I don't
think the obstruction is clear coat, because the shavings from the
drilling are black in color. Also, from careful inspection of the
brake bolt hole it looks as if the hole was made this way by design
but being as people have told me that the brake bolts have uniform
specs I don't know what to make of it.

Kenny wrote:
> On Aug 11, 11:55 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Kenny wrote:
>>> Actually I'm the dummy who thought that Shimano and Campy had
>>> different bolt specs, but the LBS boss did say that machining the bolt
>>> was an option. On another note, I've decided to do some careful
>>> drilling of the brake bolt hole only problem is the bolt measures 7mm
>>> in diameter

>> check that again!!! it's 6mm - don't over-drill.
>>
>>> and my drill bits are in inches. Oh well, another trip to
>>> the hardware store.

>> you don't need to "drill" as such, simply awl the excess clearcoat out.
>> using a drill bit by hand can do that. doesn't need to be a precise fit.

> Don't have an awl. But I do have a Black & Decker electric drill which
> I've used to drill-away some of the excess. Still 1mm shy. I don't
> think the obstruction is clear coat, because the shavings from the
> drilling are black in color. Also, from careful inspection of the
> brake bolt hole it looks as if the hole was made this way by design
> but being as people have told me that the brake bolts have uniform
> specs I don't know what to make of it.

ok, stop drilling! you shouldn't be doing anything that gets beyond the
clearcoat to the substrate.

to be clear, what is the problem - is the hole too small diameter for
the bolt to slide in, or is a length issue where you expect it to emerge
from the other side of the fork?

> ok, stop drilling! you shouldn't be doing anything that gets beyond the
> clearcoat to the substrate.
>
> to be clear, what is the problem - is the hole too small diameter for
> the bolt to slide in, or is a length issue where you expect it to emerge
> from the other side of the fork?

Well for one thing the outer diameter as measured by my calipers is
7mm. The inner diameter I'd imagine is 6mm. But I think that's beside
the point. The problem is because the bolt does not insert far enough
into the fork due to the hole design that when I go to screwing in the
brake calipers the calipers end up touching the fork stanchions. Did
you see this? http://bayimg.com/MafanaABi
I think that bolt head need to at least be flush with the fork
surface. I'm trying to put Campy Record brakes on.

On Aug 12, 12:32 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
> > Thought I'd post a link the pic of the brake bolt.

> >http://bayimg.com/LAFchaAbi

> that's the nut, not the bolt.
>
> and this is a length issue. get a shorter one from your lbs.

Thanks Jim, caught it in the nick-of-time.

Kenny wrote:
>> ok, stop drilling! you shouldn't be doing anything that gets beyond the
>> clearcoat to the substrate.
>>
>> to be clear, what is the problem - is the hole too small diameter for
>> the bolt to slide in, or is a length issue where you expect it to emerge
>> from the other side of the fork?

> Well for one thing the outer diameter as measured by my calipers is
> 7mm.

outer diameter of the nut is 8mm. bolt shaft is 6mm. you're measuring
with the wrong part of the caliper jaws - the slot you have the brake
nut in for that photo is /not/ for measuring - it's to reduce inaccuracy
with crud-build-up. you need to use the middle or tips of the caliper jaws.

> The inner diameter I'd imagine is 6mm. But I think that's beside
> the point. The problem is because the bolt does not insert far enough
> into the fork due to the hole design that when I go to screwing in the
> brake calipers the calipers end up touching the fork stanchions. Did
> you see this? http://bayimg.com/MafanaABi
> I think that bolt head need to at least be flush with the fork
> surface. I'm trying to put Campy Record brakes on.
>

> outer diameter of the nut is 8mm. bolt shaft is 6mm. you're measuring
> with the wrong part of the caliper jaws - the slot you have the brake
> nut in for that photo is /not/ for measuring - it's to reduce inaccuracy
> with crud-build-up. you need to use the middle or tips of the caliper jaws.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me and helping me find the
solution. I owe you one. Maybe two.

Kenny