Campy Record Hub bearing replacement

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Feb 18, 2006.

  1. I overhauled my Record hubs (recent model w/ Al axles) - what a
    beautiful design and build!! - and now have a question.

    The background story:
    http://tinyurl.com/7gvre

    The grease on the locknut side was reddish-brown dark (dirty) while the
    other side was much cleaner, closer to the light yellow. Given the
    yellow grease, I think that's the original factory grease and so it
    leads me to believe it was never repacked before (2001 model I bought
    used last year). I guess it's normal for the locknut side to be
    dirtier?

    In any case question is that on the front hub, the locknut side
    bearings are dull compared to the other side which is shiny, and more
    importantly I see the beginning signs of pitting as the balls all have
    at least one small pit. I figure I should replace these bearings. Do I
    replace just the balls (what size, grade?) or do they sell the bearings
    with the retainer. Loosescrews just has balls of different sizes and
    grades - I don't know what to order or if they're even the best place
    to order from.

    Lastly, does greasing from the greaseport work? Does/can the grease
    actualy get to the bearings. It seems one would need to put a lot
    pressure for the grease to be pushed to the bearings, and if it just
    stays in the middle, it would just add drag between the axle and hub
    shell. Unless you do very high mileage, it looks to me the best thing
    would be just an annual overhaul.

    Tags:

  2. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I overhauled my Record hubs (recent model w/ Al axles) - what a
    > beautiful design and build!! - and now have a question.

    <snip what I don't know)

    > Lastly, does greasing from the greaseport work? Does/can the grease
    > actualy get to the bearings. It seems one would need to put a lot
    > pressure for the grease to be pushed to the bearings, and if it just
    > stays in the middle, it would just add drag between the axle and hub
    > shell. Unless you do very high mileage, it looks to me the best thing
    > would be just an annual overhaul.

    I never use the grease ports. You have to inject a lot of grease to
    reach the bearings with the posibity you get grease on the pawls and
    they can get sticky. As you said it is a beautiful design and very, very
    easy to overhaul and adjust. So to put in new grease I always take it
    apart.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I overhauled my Record hubs (recent model w/ Al axles) - what a
    > beautiful design and build!! - and now have a question.
    >
    > The background story:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7gvre
    >
    > The grease on the locknut side was reddish-brown dark (dirty) while the
    > other side was much cleaner, closer to the light yellow. Given the
    > yellow grease, I think that's the original factory grease and so it
    > leads me to believe it was never repacked before (2001 model I bought
    > used last year). I guess it's normal for the locknut side to be
    > dirtier?
    >
    > In any case question is that on the front hub, the locknut side
    > bearings are dull compared to the other side which is shiny, and more
    > importantly I see the beginning signs of pitting as the balls all have
    > at least one small pit. I figure I should replace these bearings. Do I
    > replace just the balls (what size, grade?) or do they sell the bearings
    > with the retainer. Loosescrews just has balls of different sizes and
    > grades - I don't know what to order or if they're even the best place
    > to order from.
    >
    > Lastly, does greasing from the greaseport work? Does/can the grease
    > actualy get to the bearings. It seems one would need to put a lot
    > pressure for the grease to be pushed to the bearings, and if it just
    > stays in the middle, it would just add drag between the axle and hub
    > shell. Unless you do very high mileage, it looks to me the best thing
    > would be just an annual overhaul.

    Well you'll need to measure your existing ball bearings and then choose the
    ones that are the same or very close to in size when you order.
    You may want to determine if you have the fancy ceramic bearings versus the
    high carbon steel bearings. I would not bother with caged bearings, unless
    that is what came with it in the first place. Usually you can replace the
    caged bearings with a bunch of same sized balls anyway.
    Do check your ball bearing races cups or cones too. If they don't look too
    good, you may need to order new ones too.
    Of course when you get into replacing the cups or cones or races then you
    start to get into whether it is more cost effective to get a new hub or not.
    But if you do it yourself, it usually is cheaper though to rebuild.
    I probably would not use the greaseport except maybe in extreme cicumstances
    as you would probably wind up pushing in about a pound of grease in order to
    get it all in to where it needs to go. But if the grease port actually
    directs the grease to the right places it may be pretty neat.

  4. richard

    richard Guest

    As to dirtiness, think about it - crud hits the locknut. On the other
    side, crud hits the locknut outside the cassette.

    The retainer should be plastic, and the balls just snap in and out.
    Hope your cups and races are all right...

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    > I overhauled my Record hubs (recent model w/ Al axles) - what a
    > beautiful design and build!! - and now have a question.
    >
    > The background story:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7gvre
    >
    > The grease on the locknut side was reddish-brown dark (dirty) while the
    > other side was much cleaner, closer to the light yellow. Given the
    > yellow grease, I think that's the original factory grease and so it
    > leads me to believe it was never repacked before (2001 model I bought
    > used last year). I guess it's normal for the locknut side to be
    > dirtier?

    Sure, otherside protewcted by the freehub and cassette.

    > In any case question is that on the front hub, the locknut side
    > bearings are dull compared to the other side which is shiny, and more
    > importantly I see the beginning signs of pitting as the balls all have
    > at least one small pit. I figure I should replace these bearings. Do I
    > replace just the balls (what size, grade?) or do they sell the bearings
    > with the retainer. Loosescrews just has balls of different sizes and
    > grades - I don't know what to order or if they're even the best place
    > to order from.

    Get grade 25 bearing balls, 5/32 inch size, 15 in each retainer. The
    retainer is fiber-just reuse it.

    > Lastly, does greasing from the greaseport work? Does/can the grease
    > actualy get to the bearings. It seems one would need to put a lot
    > pressure for the grease to be pushed to the bearings, and if it just
    > stays in the middle, it would just add drag between the axle and hub
    > shell. Unless you do very high mileage, it looks to me the best thing
    > would be just an annual overhaul.

    Using the hole is an interim procedure only. Grerase goes around the
    axle and goes to the back of the bearings. It will push some dirt out
    but will miz with the dirt in there. A complete takeapart and clean,
    regrease, new balls once per yer(or more if you ride in really
    wet/dirty envionment). Good adjustment, just the other side of loose,
    is essential also. Too tight hub bearings have killed a many balls and
    cones.