Campy Record Pro-Fit or Shimano 7800 Pedals?

Bowdaddy

Jul 11, 2004
I'm in the market for new pedals. Have been using Look PP247's for the past two years and want something lighter. Tried Speedplay X-2's but didn't like the way they felt and had problems turning my heel far enough to exit (wear size 13 shoes).
I have a campy equipped bike so I feel like I should go with the Campy pedals but I've heard some good things about the new shimano 7800 pedal and almost nothing about the Campy pedal.
Both are light, both are expensive. I want to make an informed decision.
Any helpful insight?

Thanks

Cannot comment on the Shimanos, never ridden them.

I have been riding, for about a year, the Campagnolo pro-fit Chorus pedals. They are essentially Look's mechanism on a smaller pedal, platform and cleat.

I came from high end looks and love the pro-fits. They are lighter, I love the click-in mechanism, and get campagnolo quality.

If you liked your look mechanism, then the campagnolos will be the ultimate in terms of that 'style'.

I recommend them highly.

Enjoy the shopping and the riding!

I've been riding on Campy Record Pro-Fit pedals for 2200 miles this year. I like the pedals, they're great but the plastic part of the cleat wears out very fast which makes disengaging more difficult. If they made the cleat out of a harder plastic it would be a perfect setup.

Mel

Originally posted by melvyng
I've been riding on Campy Record Pro-Fit pedals for 2200 miles this year. I like the pedals, they're great but the plastic part of the cleat wears out very fast which makes disengaging more difficult. If they made the cleat out of a harder plastic it would be a perfect setup.

Mel

How fast do the cleats wear out? Faster than the look cleats?

They use a two part cleat, one is metal and cost $30 and the plastic part cost $16. I'm wearing out the left plastic part of the cleat in 700 to 900 miles of riding. What I'm doing now is just replacing the one that wears out quickest rather than just automatically replacing both sides at once. I don't know yet what kind of life to expect out of the metal piece, it's still holding up well.

Mel

Bowdaddy said:
I'm in the market for new pedals.
I have just changed from Look PP396 to Shimano 7800 (on a Campy equiped bike!). I found the Look cleats wore out quickly (~2500km) and was finding it hard to get the perfect position.

The Shimano 7800 are definitely a step up from the Looks. Position is easier to perfect on the cleats. Also the extra bits for walking on are a good addition. I also like the extra clearance. Can't say yet how long the cleats last and can't comment on Campy pedals sorry.

Also, got an excellent price from www.probikekit.com and so they were cheaper than Campy pedals.

I also just changed from look pp396 (pro fit´s are look compatible) to the Shimano 7800.
I use the fixed cleats (black on look) and (red tipped on shimano)
I´m really happy with the Shimanos they have better springs than the Looks, feel really stable and are lighter. I cant´tell you about long term use because I´ve only done about a 1000 km on them so far.

Bowdaddy said:
I'm in the market for new pedals. Have been using Look PP247's for the past two years and want something lighter. Tried Speedplay X-2's but didn't like the way they felt and had problems turning my heel far enough to exit (wear size 13 shoes).
I have a campy equipped bike so I feel like I should go with the Campy pedals but I've heard some good things about the new shimano 7800 pedal and almost nothing about the Campy pedal.
Both are light, both are expensive. I want to make an informed decision.
Any helpful insight?

Thanks

I can tell you that the Ultegra level Shimano SPD-SL is a great pedal, definitely a keeper. It is very similar in design to the 7800, so I would assume that the 7800 is a good pick also.