Campy record problems

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
I was never able to afford new Campy Record parts so always bought used parts off of Craig's list or eBay. And I had continuous problems with them. They would shift OK over part of the range but they would jump gears. Or they would start jumping gears and you would shift up and then down a gear and they would operate fine. I always thought that it was me not knowing how to properly adjust the shifter/derailleur combinations.

This went on for years since I recovered from my concussion until finally it occurred to me that shifters, like everything else, wear or even wear out with use.

So I obtained a new spare Record lever that was of course an incomplete part. I had to change the brake lever (the outside lever) and the hoods from the old part to the new. Surprise! The problems of jumping gears disappeared.

You have to be careful installing the old lever into the new body since the edges are sharp and can cut the bearing surfaces, And you also have to be very careful that all of the hood nubs are in the body receiver cavities else the levers appear to be sticking. It the brake lever doesn't work properly it is probably the brake lever bearing surfaces being cut during installation. If you put some light grease on them before installation you are unlikely to have this problem. If the shift level isn't moving properly it is likely to be the lower hood nub not being in the body cavity.

Shimano doesn't seem to offer these rebuilt kits since I suppose they are so much cheaper than Campagnolo to begin with. Or perhaps the type of mechanism they use is not open to the same type of wear. I did install an Ultegra group on my Time VX and it shifts perfectly. I don't know if that is because it was lightly used or because the mechanism is designed differently. I have a difficult time getting used to Shimano since the "shift" levers work opposite and I've been using Campy ever since I could afford it. I always end up shifting backwards.

In any case this is just to inform you that your local Campy dealer carries these rebuild components while 10 speed supplies last.

I ride a 21-speed hybrid Schwinn on which I upgraded parts like swapping the cup and cone BB bearings for a cartridge, and swapping the twist shifters for levers. I also ride a Specialized Fatboy with lever shifters, and I know what you mean about working in different ways. At first I got a bit confused when switching bikes but I soon got used to them, and the shifters have performed flawlessly. Nothing expensive on my bikes. If the lower end parts work well and does the job without any problems, I can't see the point in putting expensive parts on a bike.

Shimano doesn't seem to offer these rebuilt kits since I suppose they are so much cheaper than Campagnolo to begin with.
No the reason is that they're jerks who's "customer service" policy is "If something wears out or breaks, screw you, throw it away and buy a new one." At least Campy and SRAM do it right, making most of their parts available so you don't have to trash perfectly good components because small parts get damaged or wear out.

No the reason is that they're jerks who's "customer service" policy is "If something wears out or breaks, screw you, throw it away and buy a new one." At least Campy and SRAM do it right, making most of their parts available so you don't have to trash perfectly good components because small parts get damaged or wear out.
Not really Brian. When Campy was making 10 speed they made replacement parts. When they started making 11 speeds the stopped making 10 speed replacement parts and you're stuck with only the existing stock so it's pretty much the same thing.

And an Ultegra group actually works every bit as good as a Campy Record and costs half as much. I would change over if I haven't gotten used to the shifting pattern of the Campy.

With all this screaming going on from the extreme left about global warming and natural resources running out you would think that more companies would make their stuff, not just bike related stuff either, a lot more repairable like they use to be in the era before the 80's. There use to be a cottage industry of being able to repair anything from toasters to refrigerators, and even all bicycle components could be repaired by a massive parts inventory, but not any more. If you ask me we are WORST at preventing global warming and using natural resources in a lot of different areas than we were 30 years ago!

With all this screaming going on from the extreme left about global warming and natural resources running out you would think that more companies would make their stuff, not just bike related stuff either, a lot more repairable like they use to be in the era before the 80's. There use to be a cottage industry of being able to repair anything from toasters to refrigerators, and even all bicycle components could be repaired by a massive parts inventory, but not any more. If you ask me we are WORST at preventing global warming and using natural resources in a lot of different areas than we were 30 years ago!
The short answer is that there is no global warming. There is nothing more than recovery from the Little Ice Age which ended circa 1850. I designed chromatographs so I know spectroscopy and CO2 has no effect on absorbing heat at levels above about 200 ppm. At this point the three narrow frequency bands that CO2 absorbs at are completely absorbed. Any CO2 above that only means that the energy is absorbed more rapidly. My estimate was 2 feet but I read another study that said 10 feet.

In any case the melting glaciers are those lot altitude and low latitude glaciers that formed in the LIA and as they are finishing melting you can still find evidence of farming in Greenland from before the LIA.

The screaming is from the Environmentalists who saw this as 1. a source of political power and 2. a means of demanding population control. Population control almost always means cutting off energy to the third world which would kill tens of millions of people.

I'm not going to address what you do or do not do, because we've pretty much know you BS about your bike stories, so more than likely your scientific design stuff is in that category as well, but I won't swear on it 100%, maybe you are a scientist...a mad scientist! And so far they haven't cut off the power to millions of people, no, population control will come by the hands of a nuke war which in turn would of course cut the power off to most of the world, and when that happens survivors go on the rampage killing and stealing in a feeble attempt to stay alive. What I plan on doing when the nukes fly is to set on my outside front porch chair and watch the fireworks for 1/10th of a second, then I'll fly away.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
I'm not going to address what you do or do not do, because we've pretty much know you BS about your bike stories, so more than likely your scientific design stuff is in that category as well, but I won't swear on it 100%, maybe you are a scientist...a mad scientist! And so far they haven't cut off the power to millions of people, no, population control will come by the hands of a nuke war which in turn would of course cut the power off to most of the world, and when that happens survivors go on the rampage killing and stealing in a feeble attempt to stay alive. What I plan on doing when the nukes fly is to set on my outside front porch chair and watch the fireworks for 1/10th of a second, then I'll fly away.
So you think I'm a mad scientist but then tell us that there's going to be a world wide nuclear war. Tell me, do you also think that 9/11 was a government plot, that the world is flat and that man never landed on the moon and it was nothing more than a film on a sound stage in Hollywood? I've dealt with whackos like you my entire life - I have an older brother that actually believes in all that stuff.

You haven't even a guess at what nuclear war is and there are no people on this planet that will start anything like this. And the US can destroy ALL of the military installations on the world and turn them to dust with completely non-nuclear methods. And we can stop any nuclear missile in its acceleration phase.

You people that have never worked in science or more correctly - never worked on military projects - don't even have a clue what is going on in this world. Russia and China are the only two powers that know what the US is capable of and that is why they don't even TALK about such things. The only threat that Iran posses is terrorists sneaking a bomb into New York. And the results of that would be a total annihilation of the Iranian government. So they are being VERY careful. North Korea hasn't a clue what would happen. But what Kim saw was other countries filthy rich while he has to order his own starving military to glean farmer's fields to eat. What would you rather be a dictator of - a country as comparatively rich as China or a country that doesn't even have electricity except in the Dictators quarters?

You say you're over 50 and ask me to READ about tandems when I've owned them? When I actually know their weaknesses? When you see almost no one riding them FOR A REASON?

Really, no offense but I suggest you actually think before you post. The work I did on one project won one man a Nobel Prize and another won the company an Emmy Award and the chief engineer three. Before Dr. Michael McCown, Professor of Chemistry and lecturer at University of Connecticut I believe, dropped his Facebook account he stated that one project we completed together would have been impossible to achieve without my engineering skills. Two PhD engineers on that project said that it couldn't be achieved without two IBM supercomputers. I did it with an Intel 8008. That project saved millions of lives. I even turned on the TV one morning and there was an advertisement for Lab Instruments Surplus and the man was standing right in front of one of my prototype medical machines. My resume is so impressive that most people that receive it think I'm lying. And I've reduced 16 pages to 3. And there are several military projects that are classified I couldn't put on it.

I don't have to lie about any of this. I'm even impressed that I could do it. I'm a high school drop-out who is entirely self trained.

Last edited:
I'm not going to address what you do or do not do, because we've pretty much know you BS about your bike stories,

If you like I can give you the data from some of my rides and you can use Steve Gribble's calculator to calculate the numbers. The 300 watt ride I carefully explained in detail. There isn't any questions about that. Granted that must have been a training peak and right now I'm down, but 180 watts on a purposely slow ride shows that PansyBob is full of ****.

And the video including the power output numbers during the race I showed was from a mid-pack Cat 2 with peak outputs over a half hour of over 900 watts with PansyBob crying tears that that wasn't "average output". Exactly what would HE know about it?

I'm a high school drop-out who is entirely self trained.

LMFAO! A dropout! A high school dropout!!!!

I told you guys! This **** was going to get good!

And now he's down from 600 Watts to 300 Watts to 270 Watts to 210 Watts to 180 Watts!!! LMFAO! And all of that is lies and ********! He doesn't even own a power meter! He has no data!

Well fellas, at this rate the liar should be down to reality pretty quickly!

So what your saying is that you cannot figure out how to use the calculator and are more than willing to play PansyBob's games.

No what I'm saying for the dumb at mind when I said LALALALALALALA, is that's the kind of sense you make, it's actually called NONsense.

Bob, I'm thinking once he gets down to about 50 watts we will be at the truth! LOL!!!

Imagine, a high school dropout who is a scientist, a world class cyclist, world class bicycle mechanic, world class motorcycle racer, world class MC mechanic, around the world yacht racing captain, president of the world cup of yacht racing, flew jet aircraft, and I'm waiting for more to add to the list, maybe Bob can add some that I'm missing...but what kills me is he is a high school drop out who NEVER completed high school nor went to college and yet he's a scientist? who has written world acclaimed scientific journals on various subjects...how does that happen?

Last edited:
LMFAO! A dropout! A high school dropout!!!!

I told you guys! This **** was going to get good!

And now he's down from 600 Watts to 300 Watts to 270 Watts to 210 Watts to 180 Watts!!! LMFAO! And all of that is lies and ********! He doesn't even own a power meter! He has no data!

Well fellas, at this rate the liar should be down to reality pretty quickly!
It takes a real coward to misrepresent what was said. After a crash that injured me, half a week with no sleep, sore all over, I was still making over 70% of what your hero Cat 2 was making. But of course being a coward you couldn't admit that now could you?

And yes, I was a high school dropout. And I didn't go to college. And I still have communications boards on the International Space Station. What have you done with your life?

I still did the total digital design and programming and stepper motor integration into the instrument that identified HIV in the blood banking system and gave the inventor of Polymerase Chain Reaction, Dr. Kary Mullis, a Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Before he closed his Facebook Page, Dr. Michael McCown, Professor of Chemistry and lecturer at the University of Connecticut stated that the project could not have been completed without my designs and programming. Tell us PansyBob - what is your education and what have you accomplished with it?

When I was in the third grade I was reading Jack London and Mark Twain. Today third graders do not even know their complete alphabet and aren't even capable of knowing what multiplication is. And I went to what was the lowest rated public schools in California at the time. So where were you educated and what have you done with it? From your posting I would suspect that they invented Common Core so that they could pass you out of their classes with no knowledge at all.

After a crash that injured me, half a week with no sleep, sore all over, I was still making over 70% of what your hero Cat 2 was making.

How the Hell would you know?!?!?!

You have no power meter! You have no data.

Estimate...guesstimate...or just plain old lie you yard wide fat ass off! Moron. Oh that's right. Homer Dribble's charts 'n graphs 'n stuff! LMAO!

JH, please lock ALL these imbecile's threads down. He's two weeks past a pair of brain injuries, Alzheimers and one Hellova dose of stupidity!

Oh my god, Tommy the Lunatic strikes again with more lies, I researched that board you spoke of called the CIB and no one with the first name of Tom is listed as having anything to do with it's creation. Also there appears to be an issue with Dr Michael McCown, there has never been a professor by that name at the University of Connecticut; in fact the only two Dr Michael McCowns I could find on the internet is a dentist and apparently not a very good one; the second similar named Dr is a doctor in theology and he is a professor teaching out of Valley College in San Bernardino CA., and the current Chemistry staff at UConn has no one by that name listed either current or former; I find that odd. Not only is that odd but all the **** you said you did would have never even got looked at without at least a masters degree under your belt to give it some validation.

Tommy the Lunatic, both you, Bob, and I are all too old to have played with common core **** in any level of school seeing that common core didn't come out until 2009. Try using your head...wait you don't have one, before making some stupid comment about common core, but you make stupid comments all the time so that's normal for you. By the way, pre schoolers, yes I said pre-schoolers, are now learning the alphabet, so third graders are 4 years past that point of learning...not that all that advance learning is doing any good seeing that grads who went through their entire school years in common core had a math failure rate of 75% and 63% failed the reading test on graduation tests. Not sure why the USA thinks they have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to education when there are other countries ranked in the top 10 for education and all they have to do is take the play book from them, but noooo, instead the USA seems quite content to be ranked 40th out of 72 countries in math, 25th out of 72 for science, and 24th out of 72 for reading, that ranks the USA right along side third world nations! But the good news is we are ranked 2nd in ignorance...wait, that's not a good place to be. Oh well back to blasting Tommy the Lunatic; you yak about Bob passing out without any knowledge, but YOU Tom, it was you that dropped out of high school because you were failing by your own admission! So that's pretty rich of you to say that about Bob. And now some flunky makes claims he did designing, programming and stepper motor integration that enabled Dr. Kary Mullis, to receive a Nobel Prize in Chemistry, yet your name doesn't appear as a contributor! Nor would you have been given the light of day without some sort of credentials like a masters degree to give your stuff some validation, and without those credentials why would Dr Mullis even know about you or confer with you? you would be no where on his radar.

Oh my god, Tommy the Lunatic strikes again with more lies, I researched that board you spoke of called the CIB and no one with the first name of Tom is listed as having anything to do with it's creation. Also there appears to be an issue with Dr Michael McCown, there has never been a professor by that name at the University of Connecticut; in fact the only two Dr Michael McCowns I could find on the internet is a dentist and apparently not a very good one; the second similar named Dr is a doctor in theology and he is a professor teaching out of Valley College in San Bernardino CA., and the current Chemistry staff at UConn has no one by that name listed either current or former; I find that odd. Not only is that odd but all the **** you said you did would have never even got looked at without at least a masters degree under your belt to give it some validation.

Tommy the Lunatic, both you, Bob, and I are all too old to have played with common core **** in any level of school seeing that common core didn't come out until 2009. Try using your head...wait you don't have one, before making some stupid comment about common core, but you make stupid comments all the time so that's normal for you. By the way, pre schoolers, yes I said pre-schoolers, are now learning the alphabet, so third graders are 4 years past that point of learning...not that all that advance learning is doing any good seeing that grads who went through their entire school years in common core had a math failure rate of 75% and 63% failed the reading test on graduation tests. Not sure why the USA thinks they have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to education when there are other countries ranked in the top 10 for education and all they have to do is take the play book from them, but noooo, instead the USA seems quite content to be ranked 40th out of 72 countries in math, 25th out of 72 for science, and 24th out of 72 for reading, that ranks the USA right along side third world nations! But the good news is we are ranked 2nd in ignorance...wait, that's not a good place to be. Oh well back to blasting Tommy the Lunatic; you yak about Bob passing out without any knowledge, but YOU Tom, it was you that dropped out of high school because you were failing by your own admission! So that's pretty rich of you to say that about Bob. And now some flunky makes claims he did designing, programming and stepper motor integration that enabled Dr. Kary Mullis, to receive a Nobel Prize in Chemistry, yet your name doesn't appear as a contributor! Nor would you have been given the light of day without some sort of credentials like a masters degree to give your stuff some validation, and without those credentials why would Dr Mullis even know about you or confer with you? you would be no where on his radar.

Well, his name was Dr. Sean Michael McCown and I can't find him mentioned anywhere either. I suppose that since he was a couple of years older than me he has passed on. I've sent an email to the Department Head to see what I can find out.

Since you seem to be unaware of it you better be ready to learn that people die. Accidents, diseases or just natural causes. Dr. McCown was the project leader and was a very good friend of mine. He was an outstanding example of a real man.

By the way - my wife is a retired teacher and she recently brought home the Common Core handbook. So I do know what it is and I agree with her multiple retired teacher friends that you cannot learn anything with it. It is the oddest collection of ideas I've ever seen.

As for my saying I was failing??? Since I dropped out in the last quarter it turns out that they graduated me anyway. Does that sound like I was failing? I even got a GED when I didn't have to. And I didn't study for the test since I didn't have time to study and manage three projects and 6 engineers. I started to get an associates degree but the coursework you had to complete before you could move on to a bachelors was too stupid. And I audited classes at UC Berkeley until it turned out that they didn't teach subjects like Physics in a physics class - they taught Marxism. When I stood up and told that SOB professor off I exited to a chorus of boos from these students who actually needed these classes.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Froze, post: 3843692, member: 68602" And now some flunky makes claims he did designing, programming and stepper motor integration that enabled Dr. Kary Mullis, to receive a Nobel Prize in Chemistry, yet your name doesn't appear as a contributor! Nor would you have been given the light of day without some sort of credentials like a masters degree to give your stuff some validation, and without those credentials why would Dr Mullis even know about you or confer with you? you would be no where on his radar.[/QUOTE]
I asked you before what you knew about science and you didn't answer. Now you just showed - nothing. The mechanism used to prove the chemistry is NOT the chemistry for which the Nobel Prize was awarded. And scientists in general are wont to give credit to anyone else for their accomplishments. My stepson just quit Lockheed Martin because he wasn't given credit for anything he has done. So he is going to work as the Director of Engineering at another company. Exactly why do you speak about things you know absolutely nothing about?

Dr. McCown was the project leader and was a very good friend of mine. He was an outstanding example of a real man.

Apparently you didn't learn from the doctors example!

As for my saying I was failing??? Since I dropped out in the last quarter it turns out that they graduated me anyway. Does that sound like I was failing? I even got a GED when I didn't have to. And I didn't study for the test since I didn't have time to study and manage three projects and 6 engineers. I started to get an associates degree but the coursework you had to complete before you could move on to a bachelors was too stupid. And I audited classes at UC Berkeley until it turned out that they didn't teach subjects like Physics in a physics class - they taught Marxism. When I stood up and told that SOB professor off I exited to a chorus of boos from these students who actually needed these classes.

Tommy Tommy Tommy, once again you change your stories, you go from 600 watts an hour and did a countdown from there to what was it again? 150? Now after you said you dropped out of high school, and after we have been mentioning that for at least a couple of weeks, you decided to change your story and say that you really didn't drop out you simply graduated early, which in turn means there was no reason to get a GED, it doesn't look any better than graduating and besides graduating trumps a GED. Then you go on and yak about how stupid it was to get a simple AA degree so you could get a bachelors, so from that I assume you don't have a bachelors, thus have no credentials to qualify you to work with engineers unless you're simply a custodial engineer! LOL!!!

UC Berkeley would be the last school I would have chose to attend especially back in the extreme radical 60's and 70's, but while Berkeley was like that so were a bunch of other main stream colleges, and basically not much has changed. The problem isn't with professors teaching garbage, the problem is students/adults do not think for themselves, they let someone else do it, that seems to be true with whole world, so it isn't unique to America. As far as Marxist being taught in a physics classes doesn't surprise me in the least bit; I had professors who seemed to think it was their duty to jump up on their soapbox and start lecturing us on politics that had nothing to do with the class we were taking...and now those methods are happening in our high schools, well actually they've been happening for awhile. HS teachers think it's their duty to instruct their students about politics in an english, or history, or math etc class. I use to have talk to my daughters after they came home and got some weird political views from the teachers about what was really right; I even went to the principle of the HS and complained that teachers so and so was using their classrooms as political brainwashing seminar when they should be teaching english or history (two teachers did this), the principle never did a damn thing about it. And it still goes on to this day, I've had to talk to friends kids about issues of politics that some teacher was lecturing them on. Even if the class was dedicated to politics 101, the teachers/professor are suppose to be neutral not bias! and they are suppose to keep their personal opinions out of the teaching. Same is suppose to be true with our media, but you know how that goes. What's disturbing is that we have taken punishment out of public schools, so kids just go crazy without any worry of any severe punishment, but whats weird about it that is psychologically when kids are not instructed to behave and have no or very little punishment for bad behavior most of them will grow up to be liberal vs kids who have strict discipline and are instructed on how to behave grow up to be conservative...does this tell you why are schools don't instill discipline in their students? combine that with inappropriate political teachings and we are raising a generation of liberals so in the future liberals will be in complete control of the US and state governments because the masses will be liberal and they will vote liberal. I must admit, it is genius even though I wholeheartedly disagree with it. But I only have at the most about 35 more years of life, assuming I live to be around 100 (most of my family live to that or close to that), so I will be out of here when things get really bad and I will care less.