Campy Record Quality Downgrade?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Hatch-It, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Hatch-It

    Hatch-It Guest

    Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a Record
    Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish - almost as bad
    as Shimano
    105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
    currently.

    Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "hatch-it" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a Record
    > Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish - almost as bad
    > as Shimano
    > 105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
    > currently.
    >
    > Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?

    I'm curious as to whether you actually got Record rings or not. I just installed a Record Triple
    this weekend. The customer noted how thick and well-machined the rings are. Veloce triple rings are
    similar to the 105 type - much thinner and with pressed rather than cut ramps.

  3. in article [email protected], A Muzi at [email protected] wrote on
    02/17/2003 10:03 PM:

    > "hatch-it" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    >> Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a
    >> Record Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish -
    >> almost as bad as Shimano
    >> 105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
    >> currently.
    >>
    >> Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?
    >

    > I'm curious as to whether you actually got Record rings or not. I just installed a Record Triple
    > this weekend. The customer noted how thick and well-machined the rings are. Veloce triple rings
    > are similar to the 105 type - much thinner and with pressed rather than cut ramps.

    Makes me wonder if he was looking at "Record Triple" or "Racing Triple" ...

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  4. uce-<< I was looking at a Record Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude
    looking rubbish - almost as bad as Shimano
    105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
    currently.

    Hmmmm, don't get it...where did you see it? Seconds? The stuff we install looks fine, hasn't changed
    for years...

    (106)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. Terry Rudd

    Terry Rudd Guest

    Steven,

    Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
    > in article [email protected], A Muzi at [email protected] wrote on 02/17/2003
    > 10:03 PM:
    >

    >>"hatch-it" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:p[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a
    >>>Record Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish -
    >>>almost as bad as Shimano
    >>>105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
    >>> currently.
    >>>
    >>>Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?
    >>

    >>I'm curious as to whether you actually got Record rings or not. I just installed a Record Triple
    >>this weekend. The customer noted how thick and well-machined the rings are. Veloce triple rings
    >>are similar to the 105 type - much thinner and with pressed rather than cut ramps.
    >

    > Makes me wonder if he was looking at "Record Triple" or "Racing Triple" ...

    Naw, Racing Triple also has the nicer CNC'd rings.

    I installed a Record triple for a friend about two months ago and found it to first rate Campagnolo
    quality. It was amazingly light for a triple.

    Terry

    > --
    >
    > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee
    > why you ti ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    > double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  6. Gocycle

    Gocycle Guest

    hatch-it <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a Record
    > Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish - almost as bad
    > as Shimano
    > 105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
    > currently.
    >
    > Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?

    Let's hope not.

    LUIGI