Campy Record Quality Downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hatch-It

Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a Record
Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish - almost as bad
as Shimano
105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
currently.

Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?

H

"hatch-it" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a Record
> Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish - almost as bad
> as Shimano
> 105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
> currently.
>
> Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?

I'm curious as to whether you actually got Record rings or not. I just installed a Record Triple
this weekend. The customer noted how thick and well-machined the rings are. Veloce triple rings are
similar to the 105 type - much thinner and with pressed rather than cut ramps.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

in article [email protected], A Muzi at [email protected] wrote on
02/17/2003 10:03 PM:

> "hatch-it" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a
>> Record Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish -
>> almost as bad as Shimano
>> 105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
>> currently.
>>
>> Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?
>
>
> I'm curious as to whether you actually got Record rings or not. I just installed a Record Triple
> this weekend. The customer noted how thick and well-machined the rings are. Veloce triple rings
> are similar to the 105 type - much thinner and with pressed rather than cut ramps.

Makes me wonder if he was looking at "Record Triple" or "Racing Triple" ...

--

Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum
pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti
ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you double-yew double-ewe
dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

uce-<< I was looking at a Record Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude
looking rubbish - almost as bad as Shimano
105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
currently.

Hmmmm, don't get it...where did you see it? Seconds? The stuff we install looks fine, hasn't changed
for years...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(106)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Steven,

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> in article [email protected], A Muzi at [email protected] wrote on 02/17/2003
> 10:03 PM:
>
>
>>"hatch-it" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:p[email protected]...
>>
>>>Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a
>>>Record Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish -
>>>almost as bad as Shimano
>>>105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
>>> currently.
>>>
>>>Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?
>>
>>
>>I'm curious as to whether you actually got Record rings or not. I just installed a Record Triple
>>this weekend. The customer noted how thick and well-machined the rings are. Veloce triple rings
>>are similar to the 105 type - much thinner and with pressed rather than cut ramps.
>
>
>
> Makes me wonder if he was looking at "Record Triple" or "Racing Triple" ...

Naw, Racing Triple also has the nicer CNC'd rings.

I installed a Record triple for a friend about two months ago and found it to first rate Campagnolo
quality. It was amazingly light for a triple.

Terry

>
>
> --
>
> Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
> bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee
> why you ti ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
> double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash
>

hatch-it <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone else seen a downgrade in the latest Campy Record componentry? I was looking at a Record
> Triple crankset at the weekend, and the chainrings were just crude looking rubbish - almost as bad
> as Shimano
> 105. Same for the brake calipers - nowhere near as good as the older pair i have on my bike
> currently.
>
> Is this a one-off, or are Campy cutting back on finish quality? Are they in financial trouble?
>
> H

Let's hope not.

LUIGI

Status
Not open for further replies.