Campy Record Rear Derailleurs - Which?

Ted B

Sep 12, 2003
How to visually differentiate a Campy Record Short Cage Rear Derailleur from a Medium Cage...

Anyone?

Originally posted by Ted B
How to visually differentiate a Campy Record Short Cage Rear Derailleur from a Medium Cage...

Anyone?
The one with the longer cage?

Anyone?

If they are the '04 production, the outer plate will be carbon for each, and the short cage will look like this: (Look specifically at the carbon weave on the outer plate)

Your medium and long Dérailleur will have an outer plate as follows:

Thanks for the very helpful visuals, as that is what I needed to know.

I ordered my 2004 Record group with an 11-23 cassette, and judging by the carbon weave, I have the short cage. Should I opt for a different cassette for climbing (e.g. 13-26 or 13-29), I presume I will need the medium cage unit....?

The short cage will work fine with the 13-26, and could conceivably work with the 13-29 as long as you were very careful not to use the 29 - 53 combination. ( The safer way to go would be the medium cage set-up).

Originally posted by Cipher
The short cage will work fine with the 13-26, and could conceivably work with the 13-29 as long as you were very careful not to use the 29 - 53 combination. ( The safer way to go would be the medium cage set-up).
It has nothing to do with the 29-53. A short works most of the time with the 29. There is no downside to the medium,so if you plan on a 29,get it.

Ultimately you will have to decide what will be need in a rear cassette which will be determined by what type of riding/climbing you intend to do as well as your level of fitness, and the grades and elevation of the rides you will do. On a personal note, I am also riding a bike with '04 Record (2x10 equipped with a short cage) and have a 12-25 cassette in back. This set-up has worked flawless for me!

I had the same thoughts and went for the medium cage to ensure perfect shifting with a 13-29 to use for riding la Marmotte.
Everyday riding I use an 11-23.

The maximum cassette config Campagnolo recommends for the short cage is 13-26. Beyond this, the medium is recommended assuming one is using a double. For a triple set up with the lowest gear being 29 at the back, the long cage is recommended.

Maybe a short cage MAY *and thats a big MAY* work on a 29 but it is not recommended because of the severe articulation of the derailleur on a 53x29 combo. But having said that, I dont think anyone in their right mind will ever use such a combo because the chain angle will almost always result in a derailed chain.

Footnote: The effective gear for a 53 x 26 will give you 55.0. The same effective gear (about 55.4) will be found using a 39 x 19 combo. The latter will be more efficient even if the effective gear is the same simply because the chain angle will be less severe.

Originally posted by dennis dee
The maximum cassette config Campagnolo recommends for the short cage is 13-26. Beyond this, the medium is recommended assuming one is using a double. For a triple set up with the lowest gear being 29 at the back, the long cage is recommended.

Maybe a short cage MAY *and thats a big MAY* work on a 29 but it is not recommended because of the severe articulation of the derailleur on a 53x29 combo. But having said that, I dont think anyone in their right mind will ever use such a combo because the chain angle will almost always result in a derailed chain.

Footnote: The effective gear for a 53 x 26 will give you 55.0. The same effective gear (about 55.4) will be found using a 39 x 19 combo. The latter will be more efficient even if the effective gear is the same simply because the chain angle will be less severe.

yes big big sucks

The medium cage barely handles the 29T when on the small ring. But it's because the upper pulley is pretty much sandwiching the chain between it and the cog (if that makes sense). I can't imagine the short cage would be a good idea. I have both on my two bikes, but I've yet to slap the 29T wheel on the shorty.

Originally posted by Aztec
The medium cage barely handles the 29T when on the small ring. But it's because the upper pulley is pretty much sandwiching the chain between it and the cog (if that makes sense). I can't imagine the short cage would be a good idea. I have both on my two bikes, but I've yet to slap the 29T wheel on the shorty.
Plenty of people run the short cage with a 29 with no issues. There are some cases where it does not work if the derailer hanger is on the short side.

The short cage may work on a 13-29 cogset for as long as it is not used as a 53x29 combination. Why? because:

1) severe chain angle (it shortens chain life; risks chain derailment. At this angle the chain may just rub on the inner plate of the front derailleur - u dont want that).

2) a 39x21 will do the same job and is more efficient.

3) a 53x29 will essentially stretch the full articulation of the cage (this may shorten derailleur life; stretch or shorten cable life)

Originally posted by dennis dee
The short cage may work on a 13-29 cogset for as long as it is not used as a 53x29 combination. Why? because:

1) severe chain angle (it shortens chain life; risks chain derailment. At this angle the chain may just rub on the inner plate of the front derailleur - u dont want that).

2) a 39x21 will do the same job and is more efficient.

3) a 53x29 will essentially stretch the full articulation of the cage (this may shorten derailleur life; stretch or shorten cable life)
Only a moron would do that anyway. But I see plenty of them. Chain derailing is more BS than reality.Trimming takes care of derailer rub.And yes just not doing it is the right thing.Keep preaching it bro...But, the real reality is you should not be in the big/big even with a mediun or long cage.End of story.

I really appreciate all this useful insight, and there is a reason why I asked...

My present ride is a Bianchi EV4 with '04 Record, Hyperons, Selle Italia SLR. I am using a 11-23 and have the short cage unit. This setup is incredibly light (15.6 lbs) and equally stiff, which makes it more fun in the hills than 100mi (160km) tours over flat roads which are anything but smooth. I love this bike, but I'm thinking of saving it for hilly torture, where it is oh so sweet.

I am considering building another bike in the near future. This one will be a Bianchi EV Carbon, which I will use in the flats and for long tours. I'll outfit this one with Record, Corima Aeros, and a comfy (ie. not featherweight) saddle. I figured I'd get this group with a 12-29 and medium cage, transfer this derailleur and cassette to the first bike (EV4), which I will relegate to strictly hilly courses, and swap the short cage and 11-23 set to the Carbon bike, which will be used in the flats and looong rides.

Yes, this all costs, but fortunately I have no wife to argue...

I really appreciate all this useful insight, and there is a reason why I asked...

My present ride is a Bianchi EV4 with '04 Record, Hyperons, Selle Italia SLR.

wow!

Originally posted by boudreaux
Only a moron would do that anyway. But I see plenty of them. Chain derailing is more BS than reality.Trimming takes care of derailer rub.And yes just not doing it is the right thing.Keep preaching it bro...But, the real reality is you should not be in the big/big even with a mediun or long cage.End of story.

:p I agree. (advise is only for the novice - boys and girls do not try this at home!)