Campy Record Track Hub question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike S., May 5, 2003.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Hey, I need to replace the axle on my Record Track hub. The non-drive side has this nifty AL dustcap
    that looks like it should pull off, but I don't want to screw it up.

    How do you get the dustcap off? Special tool?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mike S. wrote:

    > Hey, I need to replace the axle on my Record Track hub. The non-drive side has this nifty AL
    > dustcap that looks like it should pull off, but I don't want to screw it up.
    >
    > How do you get the dustcap off? Special tool?

    Yep. This was one of Campagnolo's dumber ideas, form over function.

    There is a ludicrously expensive special tool for this. We've even got it in stock, $36.95!

    These silly dust caps are even easier to damage than you might imagine, if you try to get them off
    without the special tool.

    Sheldon "Nuovo Record Hubs Were The Best" Brown
    | The two most common elements in the Universe are | hydrogen and stupidity. --Harlan Ellison |
    +----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  4. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Mon, 5 May 2003 11:11:06 -0700, "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey, I need to replace the axle on my Record Track hub. The non-drive side has this nifty AL
    >dustcap that looks like it should pull off, but I don't want to screw it up.
    >
    >How do you get the dustcap off? Special tool?

    The dedicated extractor is Campagnolo tool # UT-HU040, which also fits the similar dustcaps on the
    front road and track hubs of the same model generation. You shouldn't be surprised to learn that a
    tool from the Campagnolo catalogue isn't cheap, so if you've got a good working relationship with
    your LBS, you may find that the cost of popping them off for you will be negligible. If you're going
    it alone without one however, the common workaround is to try to gently prize the dustcap away from
    the hubshell with a screwdriver, butterknife or equivalent.

    However, if you really want to preserve the hub's appearance from the scars of strongarm tactics
    like that and make sure that the circlip that holds the dustcap in place isn't compromised, you'll
    buy the tool that Sheldon has.

    John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 http://www.businesscycles.com Now in our
    twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online