Campy Record Triple vs. DA Triple.



serenaslu

New Member
Feb 3, 2004
564
1
0
Originally posted by Bruce L
Is Campy that much better to warrant the big difference in price?????

It's a tough comparison since Shimano has elected not to market a triple version of the 7800 series DuraAce. It's kind of an apple and oranges comparison. My general take is that the double Campy Record and double 7800 DuraAce are pretty competitive products in cutting-edge technology 10-speed field. (hence the price point is pretty much the same).
Comparing the Chorus triple to the DA cuts down to whether the 10-speed offsets what is probably a little better engineering in the 9-speed DA at the same price range.
 

mrowkoob

New Member
Dec 23, 2003
306
0
0
I´d buy chorus or ultegra tripple because a lot lies (it´s a big part of the price) in weight savings on the top groupos and a tripple is 150-300 g heavier.
 

Eidetic

New Member
Dec 19, 2003
144
0
0
I agree. For example, Shimano's PD7750 Dura-Ace pedals vs. the R600 Ultegra pedals. I have and use a set of each. There's no perceptible difference in use, but the DA version is lighter, e.g., has the pedal axle hollowed out to accept an 8 mm hex key fitting and has no wrench flats, and the Ultegra version is heavier, has a smaller, 6 mm hex key fitting with wrench flats. Spun by hand, the DA spins more revs ... but is use, I can't tell the diff.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Originally posted by Bruce L
Is Campy that much better to warrant the big difference in price?????
Chorus to DA is a better comparison, and DA triple locks you into a funky propreitary middle and granny ring setup.
 

dgow

New Member
Dec 2, 2003
29
0
0
I have a DA triple , just sold my Integra triple, and I've ridden a campy. Campy vs. Shimano- take your choice. DA vs Integra- Price is an issue but the DA is lighter, and very noticably has a smaller middle chain ring than the Integra--that difference is immediately noticed by the rider and for me at least being able to spend more time in the middle ring is a big plus.
 

pudster

New Member
Aug 20, 2003
179
0
0
Also one of the reasons for a price difference is that the price of the Euro is is higher than the dollar so we end up paying more.
 

dhk

New Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,259
0
0
74
Originally posted by boudreaux
Chorus to DA is a better comparison, and DA triple locks you into a funky propreitary middle and granny ring setup.

Can you explain the proprietary setup? I got an FSA triple with my DA 9 sp, 7700 FD, and it works great. It's got the 130 mm BCD on the outer rings, and 74 mm on the inner. Surely FSA didn't have to pay Shimano for rights to these dimensions, or the chainring spacing....did they?
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Originally posted by dhk
Can you explain the proprietary setup? I got an FSA triple with my DA 9 sp, 7700 FD, and it works great. It's got the 130 mm BCD on the outer rings, and 74 mm on the inner. Surely FSA didn't have to pay Shimano for rights to these dimensions, or the chainring spacing....did they?
There is nothing proprietary about 130/74 BCD. The DA triple crank uses a 130 BDC for the big and middle rings.The crank arm is machined in such a way that it only works with the DA triple 39 ring, and the granny ring bolts to the middle ring with a non standard BCD. Even tho the DA triple middle ring is a 130 BCD it cannot be used with any other crank,because of the unique way it is machined....The FSA setup is what everyone else uses for a triple except campy uses 135/74 BCD and there are also some 110/74s around.
 

marlon1

New Member
Jan 29, 2004
158
0
0
It's a shame to cycle with triple. ok not for fun-cyclist. So Dura ace/record triple makes NO SENSE!

By the way, a 52/27 or something is also 1:2 so why do you need the triple????????????? Record has Ti cassettes, the 12/27 titanium won't weight much more then an normal cassette of the record group.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Originally posted by marlon1
It's a shame to cycle with triple. ok not for fun-cyclist. So Dura ace/record triple makes NO SENSE!

By the way, a 52/27 or something is also 1:2 so why do you need the triple????????????? Record has Ti cassettes, the 12/27 titanium won't weight much more then an normal cassette of the record group.
Well, that is alot of hooey.
 

Cipher

New Member
Sep 7, 2002
782
1
18
I rode Ultegra triple last year, and really liked the 42 tooth middle chain-ring as opposed to the 39 on a Shimano (Dura-Ace) double I spent some time with after I sold the triple set-up. For me it meant less shifting of the front chain-rings between the 42/52 vs. a 39/53 set-up. (Most of my time was spent using the 42, and I rarely used the 30 tooth granny). This year I am riding Campy Record, (2x10) and it will be interesting to see what difference a '10th cog' will make as opposed to the amount of shifting done with last years (3x9) Ultegra.
 

Cipher

New Member
Sep 7, 2002
782
1
18
Originally posted by marlon1
It's a shame to cycle with triple. ok not for fun-cyclist. So Dura ace/record triple makes NO SENSE!
:rolleyes:

Roberto Heras used a triple in the Veulta on the Angliru stage.

Indurain rode a Pinarello (can you say 5 time Tour winner) with Campy Record triple for the Etappe last year.

Greg LeMond rides a Campy Record triple...

And if I remember correctly, Tyler Hamilton has also used a triple in a mountian stage or two.



You of course are certainly in a class well beyond these four riders in terms of power and skill on a bicycle. :rolleyes:
 

dhk

New Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,259
0
0
74
Originally posted by boudreaux
There is nothing proprietary about 130/74 BCD. The DA triple crank uses a 130 BDC for the big and middle rings.The crank arm is machined in such a way that it only works with the DA triple 39 ring, and the granny ring bolts to the middle ring with a non standard BCD. Even tho the DA triple middle ring is a 130 BCD it cannot be used with any other crank,because of the unique way it is machined....The FSA setup is what everyone else uses for a triple except campy uses 135/74 BCD and there are also some 110/74s around.

All is clear, thanks....I wasn't familar with the DA triple crank.
 

mrowkoob

New Member
Dec 23, 2003
306
0
0
Originally posted by boudreaux
Chorus to DA is a better comparison, and DA triple locks you into a funky propreitary middle and granny ring setup.
Let me just quote you "what a lot of hoey"