Campy Record Triple -- Which RD cage?

Eidetic

Dec 19, 2003
In speaking with Campy TS today, the rep made it pretty clear that if you use a Campy Record Triple, don't even think about using a short or medium cage RD, partciularly if you want to use the 53/42/30 crankset.

Has anyone had experience with the 53/42/30 crankset using a medium or short cage RD? I had wanted to use the 11/21 cassette with a short cage (I know this prohibits certain CR/cog combinations that exceed the chain wrap capacity, but only the granny CR will ever be on the big cogs). Campy TS said it wouldn't shift well. I asked about a medium cage. Campy TS said ..."We're not shipping any medium cage Record RDs and don't know when we'll see them in 2004." This surprised me, to say the least.

Problem you will run into is that you'll have too much slack in the chain when you go to the granny, regardless of what rear gear you're in. Agree that use of rear gears with the granny is limited - I never use anything other than the lowest two, with a 11/26 and 53/42/30 gear setup. Still, the rear der. takes a big chunk of slack up when going to the granny, far more than running through all of the rear gears does.

I bought a Chorus group with Record triple setup, and they sent a long cage der. with it. That's what Campy specifies, and they haven't steered me wrong yet.

Unless you're trying to reuse existing equipment, there is no advantage that I can see in using a short cage with the triple front. My long cage setup shifts flawlessly, and any weight savings would be so miniscule as to baffle even the most diehard weight weenie.

Gotta admit, those carbon cages look pretty cool...

Originally posted by Eidetic
In speaking with Campy TS today, the rep made it pretty clear that if you use a Campy Record Triple, don't even think about using a short or medium cage RD, partciularly if you want to use the 53/42/30 crankset.

Has anyone had experience with the 53/42/30 crankset using a medium or short cage RD? I had wanted to use the 11/21 cassette with a short cage (I know this prohibits certain CR/cog combinations that exceed the chain wrap capacity, but only the granny CR will ever be on the big cogs). Campy TS said it wouldn't shift well. I asked about a medium cage. Campy TS said ..."We're not shipping any medium cage Record RDs and don't know when we'll see them in 2004." This surprised me, to say the least.
It's all about wrap capacity.The SC is speced for 27 teeth and the medium is 30.The specs are usually conservative. You use up 23 teeeth just gong from the big to the granny. But it makes me wonder how a RD derailer knows what crankset it's hooked to to cause it to 'shift poorly'?? Having said that, I use short cage Shimanos on all my triple setups with a 52/42or39/30 and typically a 12 or 13x23. Worst case is that some small cogs are not usable,but in some cases the SG will wrap them all, again because the spec is conservative.

Bourdeaux, thanks. The solution is that I'm getting a medium cage Chorus 10 s to use until the medium cage Record 10 s actually arrives in the US. Sending Campy TS the Campy webpage that states "Now Available" for the Record MC 10 s was persuasive. With the MC, I'll use an 11/23 cassette "legally", and will play around with the larger spider cogs.

Bourdeaux, thanks. The solution is that I'm getting a medium cage Chorus 10 s to use until the medium cage Record 10 s actually arrives in the US. Sending Campy TS the Campy webpage that states "Now Available" for the Record MC 10 s was persuasive. With the MC, I'll use an 11/23 cassette "legally", and will play around with the larger spider cogs.

This thread seem right up my ally. I have a 13-29 rear and a 39/53 on the front med cage Record derail. I got it from the bike store like this. It was my first road bike and I wanted it to be prety much in the middle for riding around my area and for the group I ride with.

So here are my two things, one when I am in my 29-39 the bottom pully gear seems to not be over far enough. It is just off to the side a bit. Makes a slight out of alignment noise.

Do I need a long cage Derail? Campy says the 29 and a med is ok but it is the max for a med cage.

Second....I am taking a trip to the Alps this summer....Lots of mountains....I have a double.....lots of cost switching to a triple...should I suck it up...train hard and stick with a double? Just a little nervious.....

Biff

Check the "low" limit set screw on your RD. Park Tool has the best method I know of for setting up an RD.

I would get the triple if you have the dough. If you're not a pro already, good luck with a double .... and some pros use triples.

Has anyone had experience with the 53/42/30 crankset using a medium or short cage RD?

Here is a Record triple set up using a medium cage rear dérailleur. (It worked flawlessly by the way!) The rear cassette is a 12-25.

Have you checked Texas Cyclery? They, at least, have Record Medium cage as an option. Will cost you $5 extra.

wow .. that's a centerfold.
Winters must be agonizingly long for you.

Actually thats not my bike... (It belongs to the guy who's name is shown on the seat and down tubes). I do own one with Campy double though, and right now 'Winter Really Sucks!!!'