Campy Record UD cassette question

roadmax

Sep 17, 2004
Record has 2 types of cassettes:
1.steel+titanium (i believe smaller rings are steel and larger ones titanium)
2.full titanium (this is lighter and costs more money)

What do you think is better in terms of durability and long time usage?
Also there are several sizes (11-21, 11-23, 12-23, 12-25, 13-26, 13-29) Which one would be your choice, i'm sure i don't need the 29t large plate, have confidence riding uphill with smaller size.
Your thoghts please.

roadmax said:
Record has 2 types of cassettes:
1.steel+titanium (i believe smaller rings are steel and larger ones titanium)
2.full titanium (this is lighter and costs more money)

What do you think is better in terms of durability and long time usage?
Also there are several sizes (11-21, 11-23, 12-23, 12-25, 13-26, 13-29) Which one would be your choice, i'm sure i don't need the 29t large plate, have confidence riding uphill with smaller size.
Your thoghts please.
Get the Ti one if you are a sponsored pro and make your living racing, or need lots of bragging ponts. How does anyone here know what you need for a big or small cog? You determine that yourself by riding and what you ride.You do ride,don't you?? I cannot believe people ride Record and then go trolling for opinions on what piece they should select. FWIW, a chorus steel casette will do everything a record casette will do , will weigh a bit more but leave your wallet alot heavier.

its really on your ability...

most will say get the 12s for climbing and and 11s for flats or track

but me personaly i can pull up a hill in 11s no problem :) and still give me the ratio to tear apart on the flats

boudreaux said:
I cannot believe people ride Record and then go trolling for opinions on what piece they should select. FWIW, a chorus steel casette will do everything a record casette will do , will weigh a bit more but leave your wallet alot heavier.

Agree

and

Agree

jedblack said:
its really on your ability...

most will say get the 12s for climbing and and 11s for flats or track

but me personaly i can pull up a hill in 11s no problem :) and still give me the ratio to tear apart on the flats
I think 11s will be good for me as well. Still not sure what is more durable in long term, steel+ti or full ti version?

And for others who replied, short explanation:i rode in the 90's and never had a Campy. Now decided to do cycling again and wanted to get some information before i do the spending.

TKU,
roadmax

save your money and get steel/ti

i had an all Ti cassette and it wore out just like the steel and steel/ti, and i am fanatical about maintaining my cycles.... just wore out

jedblack said:
save your money and get steel/ti

i had an all Ti cassette and it wore out just like the steel and steel/ti, and i am fanatical about maintaining my cycles.... just wore out

Found the Ti gave me a quicker and stiffer response - but perhaps I am sensitive and appreciated the weight loss! Agree on flats and hills decision - but do you want to get tougher and go fast or have it easy riding uphill? Do you want Record for performance or for the prestige??? You decide!

:rolleyes: