Campy Shamal Cassete Body... WTF?!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Judy, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. John Judy

    John Judy Guest

    I have an old (1995 I think) set of Campy Shamal wheels. Here is the weird thing... The cassette
    body appears to have a Shimano spline pattern. Shimano cogs fit beautifully, and the after
    market titanium 9 speed for 8 speed hub cassette it had on them when I purchased them fits my
    Shimano 9 speed wheel perfectly. Another thing.. The only lockring I was ever able to make fit
    was Shimano as well.

    A couple years ago, I bought a standard Campy 8 speed cassette to try on them. Wouldn't fit. I
    bought one of every Campy lockring I could find, same story.

    It has been suggested to me that this might be a Record Ti hub. Upon looking, I found that Branford
    says these were made with a shiny alloy cassette body. The cassette body on this wheel is black.

    Can anyone help shed light on this for me? I posted a couple of pictures (below), and would be more
    than happy to take more if it will help someone explain this to me. Warning, the pictures are pretty
    big (for details sake).

    http://home.attbi.com/~john_judy/ebay/casbod1.jpg 349Kb

    http://home.attbi.com/~john_judy/ebay/hubback.jpg 574Kb

    http://home.attbi.com/~john_judy/ebay/rearhub2.jpg 671Kb

    Thanks,

    JJ

    Tags:

  2. In article <p%[email protected]>, "John Judy"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have an old (1995 I think) set of Campy Shamal wheels. Here is the weird thing... The cassette
    > body appears to have a Shimano spline pattern. Shimano cogs fit beautifully, and the after market
    > titanium 9 speed for 8 speed hub cassette it had on them when I purchased them fits my Shimano 9
    > speed wheel perfectly. Another thing.. The only lockring I was ever able to make fit was Shimano
    > as well.
    >
    > A couple years ago, I bought a standard Campy 8 speed cassette to try on them. Wouldn't fit. I
    > bought one of every Campy lockring I could find, same story.
    >
    > It has been suggested to me that this might be a Record Ti hub. Upon looking, I found that
    > Branford says these were made with a shiny alloy cassette body. The cassette body on this wheel
    > is black.
    >
    > Can anyone help shed light on this for me? I posted a couple of pictures (below), and would be
    > more than happy to take more if it will help someone explain this to me. Warning, the pictures are
    > pretty big (for details sake).

    Not even looking at the pictures, I'd say you have a Shimano-compatible freehub body on a Campagnolo
    wheel. There are a few of these available in the aftermarket.

    That's probably a fairly desirable part, but its value to you depends on how you feel about running
    a Shimano drivetrain.

    Actually, I hear (without knowing firsthand) that Shimano and Campy 9v spacing is so close that
    either should work with the other's cogs, so you should just be able to run an
    all-Campy-except-the-cogs drivetrain.

    Finally, Shimano 8 and 9 freehub bodies are the same, except that there are some minor detail
    differences like whether or not a particular body can mount an 11t small cog or has legacy threading
    for Uniglide.

  3. John-<< Can anyone help shed light on this for me?

    There were some after market freehub makers that made shimano compatible freehubs for these hubs and
    wherels, the maker's name escapes me.

  4. John Judy

    John Judy Guest

    > John-<< Can anyone help shed light on this for me?
    >
    > There were some after market freehub makers that made shimano compatible freehubs for these hubs
    > and wherels, the maker's name escapes me.

    All right. Just so I know I'm not going mad, there should be no way an unmodified Shimano cassette
    should fit on ANY Campy hub, right?

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >John-<< Can anyone help shed light on this for me?
    >
    >There were some after market freehub makers that made shimano compatible freehubs for these hubs
    >and wherels, the maker's name escapes me.

    You can order all the Campy wheels with Shimano freehubs through QBP. They cost a few $ more than
    the Campy-only (pardon the phrase) wheels, but IMHO are a much better deal than most of the botique
    wheels out there.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, John Judy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> John-<< Can anyone help shed light on this for me?
    >>
    >> There were some after market freehub makers that made shimano compatible freehubs for these hubs
    >> and wherels, the maker's name escapes me.
    >>

    >All right. Just so I know I'm not going mad, there should be no way an unmodified Shimano cassette
    >should fit on ANY Campy hub, right?

    Correct and the converse also does not work.