Campy Shifter And Front Derailleur Compatibility

Tech72

Nov 29, 2003
There's been lots of discussions on cross brand 11sp cassette compatibility. But I have a question regarding the compatibility of Campagnolo's 11sp shifter and front derailleurs. Specifically, I have 2013 Campy Record 11sp shifters with the same vintage front derailleur, but would like to upgrade to the latest Record S2 front derailleur with the extended arm that increases leverage at the derailleur and thus reduces force required at the lever for shifts. Do the older 2013 Campy shifters work with the latest 2015 "long arm" front derailleur? Or is the throw ratio and cable pull different enough that the two vintages will not be compatible? Anyone know or have experience swapping the two front derailleurs? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• campag-sr11-2011-fmechb-med.jpg
    campag-sr11-2011-fmechb-med.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 106166-1.jpg
    106166-1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 12
I haven't bought any of the 2015 stuff yet, but everyone says the pull ratios for both the front and rear derailleurs are different and the older levers are not compatible. Take that information for what it cost you.

The new front D offers an additional trim position.

I want the new stuff, but I think I'll just go to EPS or the rumored 12-speed.

CAMPYBOB said:
I haven't bought any of the 2015 stuff yet, but everyone says the pull ratios for both the front and rear derailleurs are different and the older levers are not compatible. Take that information for what it cost you.

The new front D offers an additional trim position.

I want the new stuff, but I think I'll just go to EPS or the rumored 12-speed.
12-speed?(!) I haven't heard of this, but really? I can't imagine how they'll cram in a 12th sprocket in the current freehub spacing. Or will the next gen road frames have 135mm rear spacing? Do we really need 12-speed?

Miche's 12-speed uses 130 MM and I would assume Campy would try to cram it into the same space. We may all run out and buy a pair of new levers, but unless 135 disc brake spacing or such really catches fire and migrates to standard road bike frames...not many early adopters do I see there. It would take a long time to cycle the 130 MM frames into the garbage as cyclists...as a group...are notoriously cheap bastards.

Campy has be whispered to have been test 12-speed for some time now with no evidence that I've actually seen. After cloning shitmaNO's 4-arm cranks (and doing them so much better in carbon!) and the long arm front D it would be nice if they beat Dura-Ass over the head with an extra ratio EPS and mechanical group.

Do we really need 12-speed?

I do...and EPS...and I want Campy to return to manufacturing full groups with Campy seat posts and a full line of real Campy pedals and their own top shelf tools

CAMPYBOB said:
Miche's 12-speed uses 130 MM and I would assume Campy would try to cram it into the same space. We may all run out and buy a pair of new levers, but unless 135 disc brake spacing or such really catches fire and migrates to standard road bike frames...not many early adopters do I see there. It would take a long time to cycle the 130 MM frames into the garbage as cyclists...as a group...are notoriously cheap bastards.

Campy has be whispered to have been test 12-speed for some time now with no evidence that I've actually seen. After cloning shitmaNO's 4-arm cranks (and doing them so much better in carbon!) and the long arm front D it would be nice if they beat Dura-Ass over the head with an extra ratio EPS and mechanical group.

Do we really need 12-speed?

I do...and EPS...and I want Campy to return to manufacturing full groups with Campy seat posts and a full line of real Campy pedals and their own top shelf tools

Obviously, your disdain for the Japanese brand is well known. So I won't start an online flame war as these things go nowhere and everyone has a preference. To each their own. But I will admit that I also have 2013 D-A 9000 11sp on another bike and in my opinion, 9000 is superior to my 2013 Record groupset in terms of shifting precision, in particular at the front end (hence my wanting to go long arm Campy to replicate the superior Dura-Ace feel). 9000 also has better brake modulation and outright stopping power.

I do love Campy Record 11 (one does not spend $2000+ on a groupset for the hell of it), the Italian stuff just oozes style and is gorgeous in every detail and works exceptionally well. But as someone who has both 2013 vintage Record and D-A 9000, I think the Japanese stuff is simply better to use, albeit not as beautiful to behold. My impartial opinion. I'm not into the Shimano vs Campagnolo (vs SRAM) war.

I haven't used the latest 2015 Campy bits with all the improvements so can't comment. Nor have I used Di2 or EPS so I'll stay out of that debate as well.

I bought a 2015 Emonda with 11-speed shimaNO 105. It's perfectly meh stuff. That's my very well known biased opinion after around 1000 miles on it. The shimaNO pedals are pretty good, though. I'll ride it some more next Winter.

TISO released a demo 12-speed wireless setup a couple years ago, but I don't think it got very far. Delivery was supposed to start first quarter of this year and I haven't seen it yet. FSA is supposedly playing with 12-speed for their new wireless rigs.