Campy Shifter Shimano Derailer compatibility

sportyguy66 said:
Will the Campy Shifter/brake levers work with my Ultrega Derailers?

You can do a search of the forum for many discussions of solutions for using Campy shifters with shimano derailleurs/cassettes.

The short answer is yes, you can mix brands but to get proper indexing, you need to make modifications to the drivetrain, either with cassette spacers, conversion cassettes, derailleur adapters (i.e shiftmate), or cable routing modifications (the so-called hubbub). The exact solution depends on the specific components you are using and whether it is 9s or 10s.

sportyguy66 said:
Will the Campy Shifter/brake levers work with my Ultrega Derailers?
Done it as an experiment, the campy ergo lever/shifters work using ultegra derailleurs for as long as you use a campy cassette. I also tried it with an American Classic campy compatible cassette and it also works.

My lbs said it wouldn't work because the shifters are integrated meaning that they click and have "notches"...I'm sure any campy user knows what I'm talking about. Well anyway, they were telling me that the derraileur need to be integrated too...shimano's not.

rudycyclist said:
My lbs said it wouldn't work because the shifters are integrated meaning that they click and have "notches"...I'm sure any campy user knows what I'm talking about. Well anyway, they were telling me that the derraileur need to be integrated too...shimano's not.
I'm a campy user and your LBS does not know what he's talking about.
Let me put that again...

CAMPY ERGO SHIFTERS will work with shimano derailleurs as long as the CASSETTE IS CAMPY. The clicks or notches he is talking about are the indexes and a campy index is attuned to a campy cassette or sprocket. A campy cassette has different cog spacing versus shimano. So for as long as you use a campy cassette and not a shimano cassette it will work even with an ultegra rear derailleur. Like I said I have tried this combination and it worked.

Campy and Shimano parts use a different cable pull rate. Therefore you cannot mix parts with much success. You can mix wheelsets, but performance is somewhat decreased due to the mismatch of 1.5mm due to the different cassette widths.

A solution is the shiftmate which changes the cable pull rates to match the compoents together .http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Campy and Shimano use a different cable pull rate. Therefore you cannot mix parts with much success. You can mix wheelsets, but performance is somewhat decreased due to the mismatch of 1.5mm due to the different cassette widths.

A solution is the shiftmate which changes the cable pull rates to match.http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm