Campy shifter springs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Captain Dondo, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like crap at the end of last year.

    I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear when
    you shift.

    My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and need
    to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't trust
    him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).

    Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust? I can't complain about the Campy durability,
    it outlasted my previous SOB group. Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.

    Just curious,

    -Dondo

    Tags:

  2. Cbike

    Cbike Guest

    It's true! The springs get weak and sometimes break. The replacement is fairly simple with
    instructions on the web. Parts are available from most shops who should be able to do the job for
    you. Charlie

  3. On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:18:46 -0500, Captain Dondo wrote:

    > My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like crap at the end of last year.
    >
    > I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
    > when you shift.
    >
    > My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
    > need to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't
    > trust him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).
    >
    > Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust?

    Absolutely real. And inexpensive (a first for Campy). Replacing them will fix your
    shifting problems.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

  4. On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:59:00 -0500, CBike wrote:

    > It's true! The springs get weak and sometimes break. The replacement is fairly simple with
    > instructions on the web.

    Well, it's not that they get weak. they engage the ratchet on the shoulder of the g-shaped spring,
    and that contact area wears down.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  5. Jeff Martin

    Jeff Martin Guest

    Check out http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html#Manuals

    "Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like crap at the end of last year.
    >
    > I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
    > when you shift.
    >
    > My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
    > need to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't
    > trust him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).
    >
    > Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust? I can't complain about the Campy
    > durability, it outlasted my previous SOB group. Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.
    >
    > Just curious,
    >
    > -Dondo

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like crap at the end of last year.
    >
    > I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
    > when you shift.
    >
    > My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
    > need to be replaced. I trust the mechanic; he's been riding Campy for years. (Then again, I can't
    > trust him too much, he switched to SOB last season :)).
    >
    > Is this for real? Or are these springs just fairy dust? I can't complain about the Campy
    > durability, it outlasted my previous SOB group. Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.

    It is a simple and inexpensive process to rebuild an Ergo lever back to "like new". Usually all
    that's required is a set of springs.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

  7. captain-<< My 5 year old Campy Chorus shifters began shifting like crap at the end of last year.

    << I had the LBS overhaul the bike, replace chain and cogs, and still, the chain skips back a gear
    when you shift.

    << My LBS is telling me that there are springs in the shifters that tend to get weak over time and
    need to be replaced.

    Believe him, easy to do, not expensive-

    << Just sounds like an old wive's tale or something.

    Nope-easy to do on any Campagnolo lever starting with the very first in late 1991....