Campy shifter--sudden strange behavior

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jul 15, 2005.

  1. My Centaur shifters (10 speed) were working perfectly normaly up until
    this morning's ride, When I satrted to shift this morning, instead of
    the usual click-click as I shift my right hand shifter shifted
    quietly and smoothly (in a bad-no feedback sort of way), almost as if
    some elves had snuck into the shop and rounded off some gear teeth. The
    shifts still hold; no gear slipage, but the jack of a ratcheting feel
    has me concerned---plus the lack of feedback means I have to pay more
    attention to shifting. Interestingly, I still get a ratchet sound when
    the levers return anter I've pushed them; its the "push" phase that's
    eirily/ distressingly/ oddly silent.

    Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Eric Douglas

    Tags:

  2. teschman

    teschman Guest

    I have brand new Centaur 10 speed(about 400 miles). My right hand
    shifter never had a ratcheting feel. I only get a click when I shift
    to the next bigger cog. I do not feel any feedback in the lever when it
    returns back to the starting position. In other words, some feel until
    it indexes, then smooth feel back.

  3. Al Williams

    Al Williams Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My Centaur shifters (10 speed) were working perfectly normaly up until
    > this morning's ride, When I satrted to shift this morning, instead of
    > the usual click-click as I shift my right hand shifter shifted
    > quietly and smoothly (in a bad-no feedback sort of way), almost as if
    > some elves had snuck into the shop and rounded off some gear teeth. The
    > shifts still hold; no gear slipage, but the jack of a ratcheting feel
    > has me concerned---plus the lack of feedback means I have to pay more
    > attention to shifting. Interestingly, I still get a ratchet sound when
    > the levers return anter I've pushed them; its the "push" phase that's
    > eirily/ distressingly/ oddly silent.
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Eric Douglas

    This may be similar to mine, last year. My thumb shift lever would fall
    away, no resistance, and no shift, part of the time. The lever behind the
    brake lever worked normally, as I recall, and the bike would stay in gear.
    One small drop of oil was required on each end of the pivot pin for the pawl
    that pushes the gear wheel when the thumb button is pushed. Roll the
    handlebar side of the lever cover up and over the thumb button. (Don't
    worry, the rubber will not rip.) Oil the pivot pin, which is located near
    the base of the thumb lever. Roll the rubber back into position. That's
    all.
    __o
    Keep on Ridin' `\ <
    (*)/(*)
    * Al Williams [email protected] *
    * San Jose CA Chief Cyclist, DNRC *

  4. Just to clarify:

    The change in the shifting happened sudddenly; one day it was clicking
    away, the first thing next ride, no clicks.

    When I push the right-hand shifter levers I get no clicks--no sound at
    all. The shifting itself is perfectly normal--it's just the lack of
    positive clicks creates a feedback/ interface problem.

    Thanks again.

    Eric Douglas

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Just to clarify:
    >
    > The change in the shifting happened sudddenly; one day it was clicking
    > away, the first thing next ride, no clicks.
    >
    > When I push the right-hand shifter levers I get no clicks--no sound at
    > all. The shifting itself is perfectly normal--it's just the lack of
    > positive clicks creates a feedback/ interface problem.

    The sound naturally quitens as the parts wear in. It's not a problem when
    you can still *feel* the clicks through your fingers/thumbs. You will get
    used to it as long as the indexing hasn't actually softened too much and
    you can feel the index stops.

    But if it's worse than that, the spring carrier may be broken. Worn
    springs can also cause the symptoms but usually more gradually. (The Ergo
    is able to ratchet even when no clicks can be felt at all).

    ~PB

  6. abc

    abc Guest

    Eric,

    Same thing happened to mine. It's the detent springs giving out in the
    ratchet mechanism. It will keep working for a while, but you will
    eventually loose all indexing. You need to get some new springs in there.

  7. [email protected] wrote:
    > My Centaur shifters (10 speed) were working perfectly normaly up until
    > this morning's ride, When I satrted to shift this morning, instead of
    > the usual click-click as I shift my right hand shifter shifted
    > quietly and smoothly (in a bad-no feedback sort of way), almost as if
    > some elves had snuck into the shop and rounded off some gear teeth. The
    > shifts still hold; no gear slipage, but the jack of a ratcheting feel
    > has me concerned---plus the lack of feedback means I have to pay more
    > attention to shifting. Interestingly, I still get a ratchet sound when
    > the levers return anter I've pushed them; its the "push" phase that's
    > eirily/ distressingly/ oddly silent.
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

    You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
    springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
    send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

  8. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
    > springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
    > send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

    Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
    guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
    experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
    components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
    end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.

    Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
    the parts?

    Eric Douglas

  9. Wannagofast

    Wannagofast Guest

    There's a bunch of references on the web how to rebuild, review them and
    then decide. First time is frustrating, from then on, goes pretty quickly.

  10. [email protected] wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >
    > > You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
    > > springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
    > > send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

    > Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
    > guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
    > experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
    > components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
    > end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.
    >
    > Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
    > the parts?

    Taking it apart is easy, reassmbly, particularly when getting the flat
    spring in place properly, can be challenging. We have all small parts,
    BTW

    http://www.vecchios.com

  11. On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:21:06 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Taking it apart is easy, reassmbly, particularly when getting the flat
    > spring in place properly, can be challenging. We have all small parts,
    > BTW

    If you do attempt the repair yourself, take Peter up on the offer of the
    parts. Very good service, very knowledgeable about the parts needed.

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
    > guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
    > experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
    > components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
    > end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.
    >
    > Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
    > the parts?

    You can decide after reviewing the manual:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

    Parts at any competent LBS which commonly services bicycles.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  13. [email protected] wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >
    > > You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
    > > springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
    > > send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

    > Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
    > guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
    > experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
    > components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
    > end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.
    >
    > Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
    > the parts?

    I replaced the Ergo body on my 2003 Centaur shifter a few weeks ago.
    Took 2.5 hours. I used the manuals and descriptions shown on Mr.
    Muzi's website. There are not that many small parts. Hardest part was
    trying to get the center bushing to slip over the flats on the center
    rod. One of the springs rides against the center rod so its
    challenging to force the sporing aside for the bushing to slip into its
    very specific spot. My rebuild was on the left lever. Right may be a
    bit more challenging. But I will be taking apart my Chorus right lever
    in a few weeks to see if anything needs replacing. I bought the Ergo
    body from Branford Bike. After reassembling everything I discovered I
    was missing a finger lever return spring. My local bike shop was able
    to get it from QBP in a week.