Campy shifter--sudden strange behavior

My Centaur shifters (10 speed) were working perfectly normaly up until
this morning's ride, When I satrted to shift this morning, instead of
the usual click-click as I shift my right hand shifter shifted
quietly and smoothly (in a bad-no feedback sort of way), almost as if
some elves had snuck into the shop and rounded off some gear teeth. The
shifts still hold; no gear slipage, but the jack of a ratcheting feel
has me concerned---plus the lack of feedback means I have to pay more
attention to shifting. Interestingly, I still get a ratchet sound when
the levers return anter I've pushed them; its the "push" phase that's
eirily/ distressingly/ oddly silent.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Eric Douglas

I have brand new Centaur 10 speed(about 400 miles). My right hand
shifter never had a ratcheting feel. I only get a click when I shift
to the next bigger cog. I do not feel any feedback in the lever when it
returns back to the starting position. In other words, some feel until
it indexes, then smooth feel back.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Centaur shifters (10 speed) were working perfectly normaly up until
> this morning's ride, When I satrted to shift this morning, instead of
> the usual click-click as I shift my right hand shifter shifted
> quietly and smoothly (in a bad-no feedback sort of way), almost as if
> some elves had snuck into the shop and rounded off some gear teeth. The
> shifts still hold; no gear slipage, but the jack of a ratcheting feel
> has me concerned---plus the lack of feedback means I have to pay more
> attention to shifting. Interestingly, I still get a ratchet sound when
> the levers return anter I've pushed them; its the "push" phase that's
> eirily/ distressingly/ oddly silent.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
> Eric Douglas

This may be similar to mine, last year. My thumb shift lever would fall
away, no resistance, and no shift, part of the time. The lever behind the
brake lever worked normally, as I recall, and the bike would stay in gear.
One small drop of oil was required on each end of the pivot pin for the pawl
that pushes the gear wheel when the thumb button is pushed. Roll the
handlebar side of the lever cover up and over the thumb button. (Don't
worry, the rubber will not rip.) Oil the pivot pin, which is located near
the base of the thumb lever. Roll the rubber back into position. That's
all.
__o
Keep on Ridin' `\ <
(*)/(*)
* Al Williams [email protected] *
* San Jose CA Chief Cyclist, DNRC *

Just to clarify:

The change in the shifting happened sudddenly; one day it was clicking
away, the first thing next ride, no clicks.

When I push the right-hand shifter levers I get no clicks--no sound at
all. The shifting itself is perfectly normal--it's just the lack of
positive clicks creates a feedback/ interface problem.

Thanks again.

Eric Douglas

[email protected] wrote:
> Just to clarify:
>
> The change in the shifting happened sudddenly; one day it was clicking
> away, the first thing next ride, no clicks.
>
> When I push the right-hand shifter levers I get no clicks--no sound at
> all. The shifting itself is perfectly normal--it's just the lack of
> positive clicks creates a feedback/ interface problem.

The sound naturally quitens as the parts wear in. It's not a problem when
you can still *feel* the clicks through your fingers/thumbs. You will get
used to it as long as the indexing hasn't actually softened too much and
you can feel the index stops.

But if it's worse than that, the spring carrier may be broken. Worn
springs can also cause the symptoms but usually more gradually. (The Ergo
is able to ratchet even when no clicks can be felt at all).

~PB

Eric,

Same thing happened to mine. It's the detent springs giving out in the
ratchet mechanism. It will keep working for a while, but you will
eventually loose all indexing. You need to get some new springs in there.

[email protected] wrote:
> My Centaur shifters (10 speed) were working perfectly normaly up until
> this morning's ride, When I satrted to shift this morning, instead of
> the usual click-click as I shift my right hand shifter shifted
> quietly and smoothly (in a bad-no feedback sort of way), almost as if
> some elves had snuck into the shop and rounded off some gear teeth. The
> shifts still hold; no gear slipage, but the jack of a ratcheting feel
> has me concerned---plus the lack of feedback means I have to pay more
> attention to shifting. Interestingly, I still get a ratchet sound when
> the levers return anter I've pushed them; its the "push" phase that's
> eirily/ distressingly/ oddly silent.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
> springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
> send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.

Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
the parts?

Eric Douglas

There's a bunch of references on the web how to rebuild, review them and
then decide. First time is frustrating, from then on, goes pretty quickly.

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
> > springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
> > send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

> Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
> guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
> experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
> components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
> end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.
>
> Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
> the parts?

Taking it apart is easy, reassmbly, particularly when getting the flat
spring in place properly, can be challenging. We have all small parts,
BTW

http://www.vecchios.com

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:21:06 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Taking it apart is easy, reassmbly, particularly when getting the flat
> spring in place properly, can be challenging. We have all small parts,
> BTW

If you do attempt the repair yourself, take Peter up on the offer of the
parts. Very good service, very knowledgeable about the parts needed.

[email protected] wrote:
> Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
> guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
> experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
> components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
> end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.
>
> Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
> the parts?

You can decide after reviewing the manual:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

Parts at any competent LBS which commonly services bicycles.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > You either broke/split the spring carrier(EC-RE-111) or one of the
> > springs. Easy to fix anywhere that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' If none,
> > send it to me for a 1 day turnaround

> Is this something that someone who is comfortable getting into the
> guts of a bike might attempt or is it best left to the more
> experienced? I usually try to do my own repairs but I'm quite wary of
> components involving springs and tension. In my experience small parts
> end up flying off in all directions sometimes never to be recovered.
>
> Also, if I choose to attempt the repair myself, where might I procure
> the parts?

I replaced the Ergo body on my 2003 Centaur shifter a few weeks ago.
Took 2.5 hours. I used the manuals and descriptions shown on Mr.
Muzi's website. There are not that many small parts. Hardest part was
trying to get the center bushing to slip over the flats on the center
rod. One of the springs rides against the center rod so its
challenging to force the sporing aside for the bushing to slip into its
very specific spot. My rebuild was on the left lever. Right may be a
bit more challenging. But I will be taking apart my Chorus right lever
in a few weeks to see if anything needs replacing. I bought the Ergo
body from Branford Bike. After reassembling everything I discovered I
was missing a finger lever return spring. My local bike shop was able
to get it from QBP in a week.