Campy shifters with shimano components

Redliner

Nov 20, 2003
I'm wondering if you can run Campy Record shifter/brake levers with Shimano drive train components without any shifting problems? Everything is 10 speed. Thanks.

Redliner said:
I'm wondering if you can run Campy Record shifter/brake levers with Shimano drive train components without any shifting problems? Everything is 10 speed. Thanks.
Everything I've heard says NO you can't. Yet I know a few guys that do, with no problems.

We are running the JTek Engineering Shiftmate http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm on our tandem (Ergo shifters w/Shimano der) and it works flawlessly. Highly recommended by many people.

Redliner said:

Technically no, but practically speaking, on some bikes it seems to work OK. You can use a shiftmate (there is a model for use with Ergo shifters and Shimano derailleurs) or use campy rear derailleur and a shimano-to-campy conversion cassette. The campy ergo shifter will work fine with the shimano front derailleur without modification.

If you are converting to Campy shifters, there is no problem in trying it first and then making further component modifications or substitutions if the initial results are not acceptable.

Redliner said:
Redliner- I just went through this conversion and here's what I found. First I put on just Ergo Shifters and Campy rder. It actually works with a 10S Shimano cassette and chain, but I was getting a little noise in my biggest and smallest cogs (12 & 27); the rest of the 8 were actually OK. I think overall a Shimano 10S cassette is only about 2mm narrower than Campy 10S, and a Shimano 10S chain is only .15mm narrower than Campy. I didn't want the noise in the 2 cogs so I tried a Wheels Mfgr. Accellerator conversion cassette, but it has rivets protruding out of the largest cog and wouldn't fit on my White LTA hubs, so I returned it. Lastly, I converted my freehub from Shimano to Campy, got a Campy Ultra-Drive cassette (Veloce) and Wippermann 1008 chain and now the drivetrain is full Campy. I've heard good things about Shiftmate but this being my race bike I decided to make it full Campy Ultra-Drive. Now just waiting for an alloy lockring to come in and I'm off to the races. Good luck!

- nojiri

Redliner said:

I have a tandem with Campy (10sp) shifters and all else Shimano (9sp) with no problems at all... by running the deraileur cable down the other side of the cable clamp. If both are ten speed they will work fine... the difference is only .2mm!