campy shifters with shimano drive train

pgardner

Mar 25, 2004
Some jerk stole my bike yesterday so today I'm starting the process of building the perfect bike, again.

I'm going to start with another trek 5200 and there's one optimization i didn't make on my last bike that i want to make now. i want to use campy shifters and derailleurs (because I think the wider shifter is more comfortable than the narrow shimano shifter).

However, because of my lousy knees, I need mountain bike gearing on my road bike in order to handle these Northern Californian mountains and yet avoid knee surgery (i'm not exaggerating). My last bike used a standard Ultegra Triple (30/42/52) with a Shimano 'XT as' cassette (11-34). That gave me all the range I needed.

This time around I'd like to use a cassette with less range. This will keep me within the capacity of the Campy long cage rear derailleur (12-29 max, capacity = 39, front difference = 23). And it should smooth out some of the minor shifting issues that I had when I used the XT as cassette with an Ultegra Triple.

In order to use a smaller cassette, and to maintain the range that I need, I'm going to need smaller chain rings. Campy's smallest chain ring would be the 30 on a standard road triple (30/39/53), that's still too big -- so I need to use the Shimano Mountain Bike chain ring. The ideal combination for me would be a Shimano LX Triple 22/32/44 (FC-M760) with a 12-27 cassette.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with combining campy shifters and derailleurs with a Shimano cassette and chainring?

I'm looking at these parts, and would like to know if anyone knows of any issues or successes with a combination similar to this:

Shimano FC-M760 chainring
Shimano 12-27 cassette (Ultegra 6500)
Campy triple front derailleur (Chorus or Centaur or Veloce)
Campy triple rear derailleur - long cage (Chorus or Centaur or Veloce)
Campy 9-Speed Ergopower shifters (Chorus or Veloce)
SRAM PC89R Chain

(The chainring is within the campy specs: max chainring=53 and max difference=23)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

phyllis

Originally posted by pgardner
Some jerk stole my bike yesterday so today I'm starting the process of building the perfect bike, again.

I'm going to start with another trek 5200 and there's one optimization i didn't make on my last bike that i want to make now. i want to use campy shifters and derailleurs (because I think the wider shifter is more comfortable than the narrow shimano shifter).

However, because of my lousy knees, I need mountain bike gearing on my road bike in order to handle these Northern Californian mountains and yet avoid knee surgery (i'm not exaggerating). My last bike used a standard Ultegra Triple (30/42/52) with a Shimano 'XT as' cassette (11-34). That gave me all the range I needed.

This time around I'd like to use a cassette with less range. This will keep me within the capacity of the Campy long cage rear derailleur (12-29 max, capacity = 39, front difference = 23). And it should smooth out some of the minor shifting issues that I had when I used the XT as cassette with an Ultegra Triple.

In order to use a smaller cassette, and to maintain the range that I need, I'm going to need smaller chain rings. Campy's smallest chain ring would be the 30 on a standard road triple (30/39/53), that's still too big -- so I need to use the Shimano Mountain Bike chain ring. The ideal combination for me would be a Shimano LX Triple 22/32/44 (FC-M760) with a 12-27 cassette.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with combining campy shifters and derailleurs with a Shimano cassette and chainring?

I'm looking at these parts, and would like to know if anyone knows of any issues or successes with a combination similar to this:

Shimano FC-M760 chainring
Shimano 12-27 cassette (Ultegra 6500)
Campy triple front derailleur (Chorus or Centaur or Veloce)
Campy triple rear derailleur - long cage (Chorus or Centaur or Veloce)
Campy 9-Speed Ergopower shifters (Chorus or Veloce)
SRAM PC89R Chain

(The chainring is within the campy specs: max chainring=53 and max difference=23)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

phyllis
Why not just stick a 24 or 26 granny on the campy crank? and stick with campy cog spacing, and a 13x29 rather than trying to mix campy/shimano spacing which usually works.You may have derailer issues with that mtb crank and the road curvature on the campy FD,but you could use a bottom pull mtb FD with the campy shifters. Another option is campy 10 speed shifters, and an otherwise 9 speed shimano drivetain( and a 24 or 26 granny on the triple.), and an alternate cable mount at the RD as per the article at www.hubbub.com