Campy shifting on new Shimano 10 speed cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by emory32, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. emory32

    emory32 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    I am considering switching from Shimano to Campy thsi winter but I do have quite a selection of shimano wheels that it would be nice if I could could still use esp since there will now be ultegra 10 speed cassettes. So I am hoping that the shifting will work.

    Has anyone tried this and does it work well?

    Thanks
    Emory

    Tags:

  2. emory32 wrote:

    > I am considering switching from Shimano to Campy thsi winter but I do
    > have quite a selection of shimano wheels that it would be nice if I
    > could could still use esp since there will now be ultegra 10 speed
    > cassettes. So I am hoping that the shifting will work.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this and does it work well?

    It should work, but if you want it to work perfectly, you might want to
    get one of the Jtek ShiftMates to optimize the cable travel. This
    application would use the #1 model.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate

    I recently set up one of my own bikes with a ShiftMate #2, Veloce 10
    speed Ergos, Shimano LX derailer and cassette. I'm thrilled with the
    results, it works great!

    Sheldon "Doesn't Always Ride Fixed Gear" Brown
    | Admiration, n.: Our polite recognition |
    | of another's resemblance to ourselves. |
    | --Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary" |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. emory32

    emory32 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    It should work, but if you want it to work perfectly, you might want to
    get one of the Jtek ShiftMates to optimize the cable travel. This
    application would use the #1 model.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate

    I recently set up one of my own bikes with a ShiftMate #2, Veloce 10
    speed Ergos, Shimano LX derailer and cassette. I'm thrilled with the
    results, it works great!

    Sheldon "Doesn't Always Ride Fixed Gear" Brown
    | Admiration, n.: Our polite recognition |
    | of another's resemblance to ourselves. |
    | --Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary" |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com[/QUOTE]

    Ok, will I also be able to run a campy wheel (ya know in case I want a pair of fancy campy race wheels) with this on? If so this seems the answer.

    Thanks
    Emory

  4. emory-<< It should work, but if you want it to work perfectly, you might want
    get one of the Jtek ShiftMates to optimize the cable travel. This
    application would use the #1 model. >><BR><BR>

    Not required. the spacing is closer than Campagnolo 10s and shimano 9s, which
    is also cross compatible.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. emory-<< I am considering switching from Shimano to Campy thsi winter but I do
    have quite a selection of shimano wheels that it would be nice if I
    could could still use esp since there will now be ultegra 10 speed
    cassettes. So I am hoping that the shifting will work. >><BR><BR>

    With Campagnolo 10s ERGO and rear der, use either a shimano 9s cogset and chain
    or shimano 10s cogset and chain, either will work fine and dandy.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. DaveB1234

    DaveB1234 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2003
    I'm running Centaur 10 with a Dura Ace 10 cassette without any issues. BTW - I'm using a Record chain. Shifts great.

  7. WTD

    WTD Guest

    > Ok, will I also be able to run a campy wheel (ya know in case I want a
    > pair of fancy campy race wheels) with this on? It so this seems the
    > answer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Emory

    I recently converted to 10sp Ergo with Campy rear derailleur and
    Ultegra 9sp cassette and have had NO shifting issues. It works better
    than the all Shimano set-up I had before. People seem to have
    different experiences with this so you may or may not not find the
    Shiftmate to be necessary. I would try it first without it.

    If you did install one, I assume you could still put on a Campy wheel
    sometimes, but it would then be the odd man out wrt cog spacing and
    may not be "perfect". It's not really practical to pop the shiftmate
    on and off because it requires an extra loop of cable.

  8. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 10 Sep 2004 12:40:41 -0700, [email protected] (WTD) wrote:

    >> Ok, will I also be able to run a campy wheel (ya know in case I want a
    >> pair of fancy campy race wheels) with this on? It so this seems the
    >> answer.

    Am I confused?

    As I understand it, the difference between Campy and Shimano cog spacing is
    0.2mm - converted into numbers for which I have a feel that's just under 0.008".
    The thickness of a too-thin guitar string, or two hairs side by side. So if a
    middle gear is adjusted spot on, the cumulative error on the large side will be
    0.040" inch. Since that might be cured with the limit stop, we're up against
    0.032" at the next cog. Thirty thou seems a pretty trivial amount of
    misalignment on something like a bicycle chain.

    Have I gotten something wrong? I understand it is best if everything is, well,
    best, but....

    Ron

  9. Roy

    Roy Guest

    I would say the definition of it working is kind of personal.

    I tried it despite the advice of my LBS and was not happy at all with the
    results. Nothing like being in the middle of a race, climbing in the 23 on
    a critical hill and having your chain jumping and skipping around. Seemed
    like the adjustments were overly sensitive and I was always fiddling to try
    and get it right.

    Isn't .040 or .032 is about the width of a chain link? If it is, then all
    you need is a whisker of miss-adjustment and you got problems.

    "RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 10 Sep 2004 12:40:41 -0700, [email protected] (WTD) wrote:
    >

    > >> Ok, will I also be able to run a campy wheel (ya know in case I want a
    > >> pair of fancy campy race wheels) with this on? It so this seems the
    > >> answer.

    > Am I confused?
    >
    > As I understand it, the difference between Campy and Shimano cog spacing

    is
    > 0.2mm - converted into numbers for which I have a feel that's just under

    0.008".
    > The thickness of a too-thin guitar string, or two hairs side by side. So

    if a
    > middle gear is adjusted spot on, the cumulative error on the large side

    will be
    > 0.040" inch. Since that might be cured with the limit stop, we're up

    against
    > 0.032" at the next cog. Thirty thou seems a pretty trivial amount of
    > misalignment on something like a bicycle chain.
    >
    > Have I gotten something wrong? I understand it is best if everything is,

    well,
    > best, but....
    >
    > Ron

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    RonSonic wrote:
    -snip- Thirty thou seems a pretty trivial amount of
    > misalignment on something like a bicycle chain.

    In our experience you have defined that well. Those small
    variances disappear in the noise of a derailleur system with
    a floating top pulley.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  11. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:31:04 GMT, "Roy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would say the definition of it working is kind of personal.
    >
    >I tried it despite the advice of my LBS and was not happy at all with the
    >results. Nothing like being in the middle of a race, climbing in the 23 on
    >a critical hill and having your chain jumping and skipping around. Seemed
    >like the adjustments were overly sensitive and I was always fiddling to try
    >and get it right.
    >
    >Isn't .040 or .032 is about the width of a chain link? If it is, then all
    >you need is a whisker of miss-adjustment and you got problems.

    Just by eyeball, that's a bit thinner than the sideplate of a chain link.

    Damn, I might have to go actually measure this stuff.

    Ron

    >"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]

    >> Am I confused?
    >>
    >> As I understand it, the difference between Campy and Shimano cog spacing

    >is
    >> 0.2mm - converted into numbers for which I have a feel that's just under

    >0.008".
    >> The thickness of a too-thin guitar string, or two hairs side by side. So

    >if a
    >> middle gear is adjusted spot on, the cumulative error on the large side

    >will be
    >> 0.040" inch. Since that might be cured with the limit stop, we're up

    >against
    >> 0.032" at the next cog. Thirty thou seems a pretty trivial amount of
    >> misalignment on something like a bicycle chain.
    >>
    >> Have I gotten something wrong? I understand it is best if everything is,

    >well,
    >> best, but....
    >>
    >> Ron

  12. Michael Roy

    Michael Roy Guest

    Which if any of the shiftmates would work for my setup:
    8 speed Sachs ergo levers
    8 speed Shimano freehub and cogs
    8 speed Shimano RD (105 long cage)?
    I replaced worn STI levers with Sachs Ergo because I was disgusted with worn
    out right side STI levers and after several people, including the seller
    (and several posters to [email protected], generally a reliable group) , said it
    would work. It doesn't. Worked more or less for a while with the alternate
    cable routing at the RD, but shifting degraded.

    I would prefer to buy a shiftmate that would work, than to have to respace
    every set of cogs I ever buy, and not be able to switch wheels between
    bikes.

    Help! I am so tired of the bad shifting that this particular bike is out of
    service until I can fix this.