Campy/Shimano 10s compatability (Stupid Question)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by devolution, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. devolution

    devolution Guest

    I know this must have been asked a thousand times before but I can't seem to find the answer.

    What is the compatability of Campy and Shimano 10s casettes/derailers?

    Specifically:

    Is the spacing between cogs the same?

    Is the inner width of the chain and width of the cog the same?

    Not to be too esoteric but if the answers above are yes, are the side profiles of the cogs
    significantly different to accomidate different ammounts of overshifting in the brifters and
    different amounts of lateral play in the top pully bearings as well as different chain pins and
    outer plate profiles? (I assume so but how much difference does this make in the real world)

    Thanks for humoring me!

    Tags:

  2. Dev-<< Is the spacing between cogs the same?

    Is the inner width of the chain and width of the cog the same? >><BR><BR>

    shimano 10s spacing is less than Campagnolo 10s spacing, with correspondingly thinner chains
    but the differences are on par with Campagnolo 9 and 10s and shimano 9s so using a shimano
    10s cogset/chain with ERGO 10s and vice versa will work. Altho getting really close
    together, there is still enough 'slop' via things like floating top pulleys to make these
    systems compatible, just match the chains....

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I know this must have been asked a thousand times before but I can't seem to find the answer.
    >
    > What is the compatability of Campy and Shimano 10s casettes/derailers?
    >
    > Specifically:
    >
    > Is the spacing between cogs the same?
    >
    > Is the inner width of the chain and width of the cog the same?
    >
    > Not to be too esoteric but if the answers above are yes, are the side profiles of the cogs
    > significantly different to accomidate different ammounts of overshifting in the brifters and
    > different amounts of lateral play in the top pully bearings as well as different chain pins and
    > outer plate profiles? (I assume so but how much difference does this make in the real world)

    On Friday afternoon my mechanic swapped wheels between a new DA10 and a normal Chorus bike and found
    both wheels shifted fine in the other bike. I was busy and didn't actually see it.

    We don't know the limits of this but a cursory test looks like they are "close enough to go"