Campy/Shimano 10sp cassette compatibility

xaeros

Sep 24, 2003
I was wanting to give Campy's ergo levers a go (Chorus - 10 speed) - problem is that my Mavic Ksyrium rear wheel has a Shimano splined hub. I know that I can replace the freewheel body and that conversion cassettes are available, but I was wondering whether the new Dura Ace 10 speed cassette would work with the ergo levers. Has anyone tried this yet? Would shifting performance be compromised?

Cheers

Well, I dont know the answer to your question, but I have a suggestion. When i got my Carbone's, they were Shimano. About a week later my Campy stuff came in, so I had a problem. I called the place where I ordered them and they sent me the new freewheel to swap out for free, all I had to do was return the Shimano one. No problem, took a couple days to get to me and a whole 5 min to swap out.

As for your question, take a look at them and see if the thickness is the same, if their different then it'll all be off. Best I can come up with.

Originally posted by xaeros
I was wanting to give Campy's ergo levers a go (Chorus - 10 speed) - problem is that my Mavic Ksyrium rear wheel has a Shimano splined hub. I know that I can replace the freewheel body and that conversion cassettes are available, but I was wondering whether the new Dura Ace 10 speed cassette would work with the ergo levers. Has anyone tried this yet? Would shifting performance be compromised?

Cheers
Cog spacing is different,but close enough it usually works.

Originally posted by xaeros

Cheers

Shimano spacing is closer:
Campagnolo 10-speed 4.12 mm
Shimano 10-speed 3.95 mm

I know, it's less than .2 mm per cog (actually 0.17 mm), but it adds up.
Index shifting is fairly forgiving.
When you pay that at that level why not go all the way and get the best that Campy can offer?

You're right, I would prefer to go Campy with the cassette, just trying to save some cash ... looks like it would be safer just to get a new freehub body (easier said than done at the moment)

Thanks

I had posted this in another forum and am curious for responses here--

For 10 speed Campy shifter to 10 speed shimano cassette (which will make more sense with Ultegra in 10sp):

At least on the cogs that aren´t on the inseparable cassette body, couldn´t a small shim be added? So adjust for perfect alignment on cog2 (2nd largest), 3 will be off 4%, 5 corrected with two spacers, 6 corrected with one, 7 with one or two, etc.

Spacer idea is a coke can wall of 0.1mm thickness. Try a nicer beer can for those between 1 and two.

This seems like it would produce pretty close results in converting a Shimano cassette for Campy spacing?? Of course the opposite isn´t as easy, using campy cassette with shimano shifters. Reliability of this type of shim?

Is the Ultegra 10 speed spacing identical to Dura-Ace 10 speed?

jasong said:
Is it known if the cassette spline pattern is identical to 7800?

from

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/faq/content_roadracing_x.phtml?articleid=12578&ips_index=1

Do Shimano 10 speed cassettes fit on Shimano 9 speed freehub body's ?

Yes they do, except for:

CS-6600/7800 combinations 11-21 / 11-23 /12-21 / 12-23 on WH6500 and WH7700 wheels.
CS-7800 combination 11-21 on WH-R540 wheels
All WH-R535 wheels
NOTE: When installing the CS-7800 & CS-6600 to the 9-speed freehub, install a spacer in the position shown in the illustration. This spacer comes with the Cassette.

I have two bikes, one runs dura ace 10 and the other is campy chorus 2004.Since I have 3 sets of wheels all shimano splined I wanted to interchange them between the bikes I decided to try the shimano cassette on the campy bike.Result?It works perfectly.I can interchange wheels and they work ok.I also using wipperman 10X1 chains with them.I'll stress that I'm also picky as to how my bike runs, if the gears are skipping then I'n not a happy camper but so far(4 months of riding the campy bike) its working just fine.

How did you set up the shifting on the campy bike? Did you align to the smallest cog? When you look at the shifting pattern of the derailleur without the chain on the der/cassette, do you see big differences in where the jockey wheels line up to the cogs? So no noise on switches, or delayed switches, or back/forth behavior?

HandyAndy said:
I have two bikes, one runs dura ace 10 and the other is campy chorus 2004.Since I have 3 sets of wheels all shimano splined I wanted to interchange them between the bikes I decided to try the shimano cassette on the campy bike.Result?It works perfectly.I can interchange wheels and they work ok.I also using wipperman 10X1 chains with them.I'll stress that I'm also picky as to how my bike runs, if the gears are skipping then I'n not a happy camper but so far(4 months of riding the campy bike) its working just fine.