campy/shimano compatability - options?

padawan

Dec 23, 2005
I'm looking for advice on compatability between drive train, shifters and brakes.

I recently had a PowerTap built into a new rear wheel for my tri bike - Shimano 10 speed group mix of Dura-Ace (F&RD and bar end shifters) and Ultegra (cassette). I'm going to buy a nice aero front wheel for the tri bike too - probably a zip 404. That will leave me with a decent front and back wheel (Velomax Vista) which I'd love to put on my old road bike.

Problem: My old road bike has a Campy Volce 3 x 9 set up.

I could just get a campy hub and have the spare Vista rear wheel rebuilt around it but ultimately, I'd also like to be able to swap the powertap wheel on to my road bike when I want to ride it.

What are my options? Do I need to buy a whole new Shimano BB, crank, shifters, brakes, chain, etc. or is there any way to mix the current campy equipment with a Shimano free hub? :confused:

I just can't afford to buy a brand new road bike too! :(

You could look on eBay for a Shimano rear derailler and shifter. It would look "different" for sure. Mixing and matching was easier when the downtube shifters weren't indexed.

I think the key parts to match are the freewheel, derailler and any indexing on the shifter. The front derailler is less critical for mixing and matching as the indexing isn't so precise.

Also, check Sheldon Brown's articles on gears and cassettes. I seem to remember he had some conversion measurements and ideas for how to get Shimano and Campagnolo stuff to work reasonably well together.

Walter

padawan said:
I'm looking for advice on compatability between drive train, shifters and brakes.

I recently had a PowerTap built into a new rear wheel for my tri bike - Shimano 10 speed group mix of Dura-Ace (F&RD and bar end shifters) and Ultegra (cassette). I'm going to buy a nice aero front wheel for the tri bike too - probably a zip 404. That will leave me with a decent front and back wheel (Velomax Vista) which I'd love to put on my old road bike.

Problem: My old road bike has a Campy Volce 3 x 9 set up.

I could just get a campy hub and have the spare Vista rear wheel rebuilt around it but ultimately, I'd also like to be able to swap the powertap wheel on to my road bike when I want to ride it.

What are my options? Do I need to buy a whole new Shimano BB, crank, shifters, brakes, chain, etc. or is there any way to mix the current campy equipment with a Shimano free hub? :confused:

I just can't afford to buy a brand new road bike too! :(

Search recent threads regarding this topic.

There are several potential solutions that work well and are inexpensive and do not require any new Shimano drivetrain parts.

What I suggest is that you use that Shimano wheel with the 9S Campagnolo drivetrain by using a Wheels Manufacturing conversion cassette that is an ultegra 9s cassette (a 10s version is also available) modified to fit Campy 9s spacing. It will fit on the Vista or Powertap hub just like a regular Shimano cassette but will be spaced to index properly with the Campy shifters/derailleurs. No other modification is needed, but some report that it may work quieter with a SRAM or Shimano chain. By the way I find SRAM 9s chains to work excellent with both Campy and Shimano 9s drivetrains and that is what I am using on my bikes. The only thing that you may need to do is a slight derailleur limit adjustment with the wheel swap.

This is a better solution for you than using a JTEK shiftmate because you can swap back and forth with the Shimano compatible hubs and your regular Campy 9s wheels.

See this link for the conversion cassette information.

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=shiftconv&prod=shiftconv9#a

You could also just try your 9s Ergo system with the Vista wheels and a Shimano 9s cassette. Although not made for each other, there is enough play in the system that some people report adequate shifting with mixed brand systems. However, with the conversion cassette, it should work perfectly.

John M said:
Search recent threads regarding this topic.

There are several potential solutions that work well and are inexpensive and do not require any new Shimano drivetrain parts.

What I suggest is that you use that Shimano wheel with the 9S Campagnolo drivetrain by using a Wheels Manufacturing conversion cassette that is an ultegra 9s cassette (a 10s version is also available) modified to fit Campy 9s spacing.

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=shiftconv&prod=shiftconv9#a
Many thanks, John!

I did try searching again (server was to busy the first time I tried) and between the information I found there and your tips, I think I'll find a soloution.

Regards,
Pad