Campy-Shimano triple

Steve Braun

Guest
Will this mongrel drive train work?

Will it work well?

Daytona (9 Speed) triple crank and bottom bracket

105 triple RD and FD

105 STI levers, triple compatible left shifter

Thanks

Steve Tucson

It will work perfectly well.

Andres

>Will this mongrel drive train work?
>
>Will it work well?
>
>Daytona (9 Speed) triple crank and bottom bracket
>
>105 triple RD and FD
>
>105 STI levers, triple compatible left shifter
>
>Thanks
>
>Steve Tucson

>Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

steve-<< Will this mongrel drive train work?

Will it work well?

<< Daytona (9 Speed) triple crank and bottom bracket

105 triple RD and FD

105 STI levers, triple compatible left shifter

it'll work, perhaps pretty well..

Steve Braun asked:

> Will this mongrel drive train work?

Certainly.

> Will it work well?

Probably.

> Daytona (9 Speed) triple crank and bottom bracket
>
> 105 triple RD and FD
>
> 105 STI levers, triple compatible left shifter

I'm not aware of any significant differerces in the chainwheel spacing betwixt Campagnolo and
Shimano systems...don't think they could work with the same chains (and they do!) if there was more
than the tiniest difference in spacing.

Since the chainwheel sizes are the same, this ought to work with no problem.

Sheldon "Interchangeabilitude" Brown
| Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. | No man or woman really knows
| what perfect love is until they | have been married a quarter of a century. --Mark Twain |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

"AndresMuro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It will work perfectly well.

Although, if it's a brand new purchase of all components, I'd rather have Campy 9 spd. shifters and
a Campy R derailer running a Shimano cogsette.

Why ?. I think that the Ergo F brifter does a better job of shifting triples, especially 110 BCD
stuff without ramps/pins (which yields better choices in rings/gearing), plus wheels with Shimano
hubs are much more common and easier to replace.

My $.02

Steve Bailey

"Steve Braun" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Will this mongrel drive train work?
>
> Will it work well?
>
> Daytona (9 Speed) triple crank and bottom bracket
>
> 105 triple RD and FD
>
> 105 STI levers, triple compatible left shifter

Mongrel? Hardly.

Yes with any nine wheel. Take some care to install the cables, casings and ferrules properly with
oiled wires and it will perform as welll as any 105 system.

Funny. I have a very similar setup--105 triple derailers, Centaur (aka Daytona) triple crank. Only
difference is that I'm running 8-speed with Sachs (Shimano-compatible) Ergo shifters.

It works fine.

"Steve Braun" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Will this mongrel drive train work?
>
> Will it work well?
>
> Daytona (9 Speed) triple crank and bottom bracket
>
> 105 triple RD and FD
>
> 105 STI levers, triple compatible left shifter
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Tucson

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote
> Steve Braun asked:
> > Daytona (9 Speed) triple crank and bottom bracket 105 triple RD and FD 105 STI levers, triple
> > compatible left shifter

> I'm not aware of any significant differerces in the chainwheel spacing betwixt Campagnolo and
> Shimano systems...don't think they could work with the same chains (and they do!) if there was
> more than the tiniest difference in spacing.
>
> Since the chainwheel sizes are the same, this ought to work with no problem.

This _should_ work. However, I tried to set up an older Mirage triple crank with a Shimano Tiagra
triple front derailleur, and couldn't get it to work right, even with a downtube shifter. On the
upshift from 42 to 52, the chain would catch in the shaped recess in the inner plate of the
derailleur before making it up to the 52, and jam. I couldn't even try riding it. I had the
derailleur at the regulation 1-2mm cage above big ring - it's possible that a higher position would
allow the chain to get off the 42 before lodging in the plate recess, or that some obscure tweaking
of the FD angle would fix the problem. I gave up and used an old Suntour triple FD.

It's still a mystery to me, and if I ever try to put the front STI shifter on that bike I'll
probably haveto figure it out.