Campy / Shimano

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Goldenboy, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

I am buying a FSA carbon pro team issue crankset for my Trek 5500. All drivetrain parts are Dura Ace now. I notice that some people sell the above crankset as campy compatible ISIS drive and as shimano compatible octilink drive. I have an ISIS bottom bracket that I want to install. What I need to know is, is there a difference in chainrings for a campy or shimano drivetrain. I have been told yes and no. I thought that the chainrings are the same on the FSA crankset whether it is ISIS or Octalink. Therefore my Dura Ace chain will run smooth on the chainrings regardless. Is there such a thing as a campy specific chainring and a shimano specific chainring. The set I want 53/39 150mm spindle 130mm BCD ISIS drive 108mm chainline. Please clarify for me. Is the tooth spacing or shape different for a campy chain as compared to a shimano chain are they interchangeable???
    Thank you in advance.

Tags:

2. idealhilton

idealhilton New Member

Shimano is 130BCD, Campagnolo is 135BCD. Stronglight France(www.stronglight.com) make some of the best 9/10 speed compatible chainrings which fit a 130bcd crankset.

3. xavier

xavier New Member

C-rings that come with FSA will work with both Shimano or Campagnolo.

FSA also offers Campy 10s rings, but they all work the same.

Do not worry there.

Go with the ISIS. Shimano is forcing all to use their Octalink and I hate it. I wish everyone would uses ISIS as it is the standard.

Yes, ShimaNO uses 130 BCD while Campy uses 135 BDC. Campy rings are harder to find but they last much monger than ShimaNO. Most Campy parts will outlast ShimaNO by far.

But your FSA will have a 130 BCD. So you can buy any aftermarket ring you like. No matter what ShimaNO may say. You still have freedoms to buy anything you want. Still.