Campy / Shimano

Goldenboy

New Member
May 22, 2003
I am buying a FSA carbon pro team issue crankset for my Trek 5500. All drivetrain parts are Dura Ace now. I notice that some people sell the above crankset as campy compatible ISIS drive and as shimano compatible octilink drive. I have an ISIS bottom bracket that I want to install. What I need to know is, is there a difference in chainrings for a campy or shimano drivetrain. I have been told yes and no. I thought that the chainrings are the same on a crankset whether it is ISIS or Octalink. Therefore my Dura Ace chain should run smooth on the chainrings regardless. Is there such a thing as a campy specific chainring and a shimano specific chainring. The specs on the FSA set are 53/39T 150mm spindle 130mm BCD ISIS drive 108mm chainline. Please clarify for me. Is the tooth spacing or shape different for a campy chain as compared to a shimano chain or are they interchangeable???
Thank you in advance.

"Goldenboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am buying a FSA carbon pro team issue crankset for my Trek 5500. All drivetrain parts are Dura
> Ace now. I notice that some people sell the above crankset as campy compatible ISIS drive and as
> shimano compatible octilink drive. I have an ISIS bottom bracket that I want to install. What I
> need to know is, is there a difference in chainrings for a campy or shimano drivetrain. I have
> been told yes and no. I thought that the chainrings are the same on a crankset whether it is ISIS
> or Octalink. Therefore my Dura Ace chain should run smooth on the chainrings regardless. Is there
> such a thing as a campy specific chainring and a shimano specific chainring. The specs on the FSA
> set are 53/39T 150mm spindle 130mm BCD ISIS drive 108mm chainline. Please clarify for me. Is the
> tooth spacing or shape different for a campy chain as compared to a shimano chain or are they
> interchangeable???

The bolt centres are different between Campy and Shimano, I don't know the bolt centres on FSA
chainrings, but I'd bet they use the Shimano 130mm. The bottom bracket has no connection wit the
bolt spacing on the chainrings. Mixing a Campy or other non Shimano crankset/chainring is no
problem. One of my bikes is set up that way. The front has a Chorus BB, crankset and derailleur.
The back has Dura-ace der and cassette. I did this to permit me to share wheels amongst all my
bikes. The rear der and cassette are the only ShamShimano parts on that bike. The rest is all
Chorus. John Rees

Goldenboy-<< I am buying a FSA carbon pro team issue crankset for my Trek 5500. All drivetrain parts
are Dura Ace now >><BR><BR> << I have an ISIS bottom bracket that I want to install. What I need to
know is, is there a difference in chainrings for a campy or shimano drivetrain. >><BR><BR>

Either the '10s' rings of the Campagnolo 10s one or the shimano rings will work fine...

<< Is the tooth spacing or shape different for a campy chain as compared to a shimano chain or are
they interchangeable??? >><BR><BR>

Your 9s chain will work fine on either ring but you can get a 'shimano' ring crank with ISIS
BB...good choice, BTW, over the soon to be orphaned octolink..

Thanks for the info guys. The input has been extremely helpful.
Ride in good health!
Jerry