Campy Super Record brake pads



Dietmar

New Member
Jun 9, 2006
357
0
0
I noticed that the brake pad holders on my Campy Super Record brakes are closed all around, and not open towards the rear (like the Chorus ones are, for example). Thus, it looks like I won't be able to slide the pads out of the shoes. So, what happens if I need to replace the pads? Buy a set of new shoes with pads? Or is there a trick to replacing the pads?
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
That doesn't sound like a Campy brake pad holder. The exploded diagram in the Campy spares catalog shows the holder and pad for SR to be just as past holders and pads have been, i.e. separate parts.
 

Dietmar

New Member
Jun 9, 2006
357
0
0
alienator said:
That doesn't sound like a Campy brake pad holder. The exploded diagram in the Campy spares catalog shows the holder and pad for SR to be just as past holders and pads have been, i.e. separate parts.
Well, check 'em out here. If you click on the bottom left of the four little pictures shown on the right to get a zoomed top view of the brakes, you can see that the shoes are closed all around. But you are right, the catalog does show separate parts for the pads and shoes, which is what makes me wonder: How would you swap these pads? The manual doesn't say anything about this either.
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
254
63
Dietmar said:
I noticed that the brake pad holders on my Campy Super Record brakes are closed all around, and not open towards the rear (like the Chorus ones are, for example). Thus, it looks like I won't be able to slide the pads out of the shoes. So, what happens if I need to replace the pads? Buy a set of new shoes with pads? Or is there a trick to replacing the pads?
FWIW. It may seem Pollyannish, but I think you should use this as an excuse/opportunity/whatever to get a set of Shimano-compatible holders when you feel it is time to swap the pads ... even if that moment-in-time is today-or-tomorrow!

While the Shimano holders may seem more cumbersome because you need an Allen wrench (a screwdriver in some instances) to first-loosen-and-then-tighten a set screw, the actual pads are easier to slip in-and-out of their holders. The set screw can possibly be thought of as a belt-and-suspender addition UNLESS you mount the holder in the wrong direction, BTW, OR you ride on really bumpy roads and never touch your brakes and the pads somehow vibrate their holders.

For the "regular" (e.g., non-carbon) pads, Shimano's are often considered to be better by so-called technical reviewers -- a potential plus.

And, yes, because I'm not a purist, I have replaced the holders on two of the sets of Campy Record calipers that I have ... other sets of Campy calipers that I have do still have their Campy holders for the time being.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
I looked at the pictures, and they show the same thing that the diagrams do. They look like every other Campy brake holder I've had. The pictures show a pad that slides out toward the rear of the bike. The bottom right picture, of the rear brake, clearly shows that.

If your brakes look different, post a pic so we can see what you're describing.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
426
83
Dietmar said:
Well, check 'em out here. If you click on the bottom left of the four little pictures shown on the right to get a zoomed top view of the brakes, you can see that the shoes are closed all around. But you are right, the catalog does show separate parts for the pads and shoes, which is what makes me wonder: How would you swap these pads? The manual doesn't say anything about this either.
You see that wonderful link you posted - there's a little link on the right that says instructions. It tells you how to do it.... What a [email protected][email protected]!!!! It has pictures too! It also says that there's two types of pads for this caliper - complete/integrated pads that need replacing or pad holders that have replacable "pads" as they call them.

So much information and with little diagrams that your kids could colour in and give to their teachers!

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225308_SKELETON_Brakes_05_07.pdf
 

Dietmar

New Member
Jun 9, 2006
357
0
0
swampy1970 said:
You see that wonderful link you posted - there's a little link on the right that says instructions. It tells you how to do it.... What a [email protected][email protected]!!!!
Hey, what can I say: you're right!:eek: Darn it, I really should go and fill that prescription for reading glasses I got around Christmas time last year...


Of course, I could have done without the gratuitous sarcasm, but I guess that's what you get for asking questions that turn out to be stupid in the face of better information. Oh well... :D
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
Dietmar said:
Hey, what can I say: you're right!:eek: Darn it, I really should go and fill that prescription for reading glasses I got around Christmas time last year...


Of course, I could have done without the gratuitous sarcasm, but I guess that's what you get for asking questions that turn out to be stupid in the face of better information. Oh well... :D


Shoot the person that put the bike together and picked the pad holders they chose. Why someone would choose holders whose pads couldn't be replaced is beyond me. Isn't that like buying a tire/wheel combo on which the tires can't be replaced?
 

Dietmar

New Member
Jun 9, 2006
357
0
0
alienator said:
Shoot the person that put the bike together and picked the pad holders they chose. Why someone would choose holders whose pads couldn't be replaced is beyond me. Isn't that like buying a tire/wheel combo on which the tires can't be replaced?
Well, yeah, I agree with that sentiment. Although, I wonder, if I just order a set of Super Record calipers from Campagnolo, maybe that's what I'll get. Mind you, the manual that swampy was linking to is written for and does not distinguish specifically between any of the Campy Skeleton brakes, including Record, Chorus, Centaur, and Veloce. Maybe the Super Records all come with that kind of pad holders? In which case we may want to shoot the guy at Campagnolo who's responsible for this nonsense...
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
426
83
Dietmar said:
Hey, what can I say: you're right!:eek: Darn it, I really should go and fill that prescription for reading glasses I got around Christmas time last year...


Of course, I could have done without the gratuitous sarcasm, but I guess that's what you get for asking questions that turn out to be stupid in the face of better information. Oh well... :D
Gratuitous sarcasm is provided for free. Finding the information you were after - well, that's gonna cost. :p

Will the real Super Record please stand up:

IMG_1566.JPG
 
Dec 30, 2007
2,111
8
0
Dietmar said:
Well, check 'em out here. If you click on the bottom left of the four little pictures shown on the right to get a zoomed top view of the brakes, you can see that the shoes are closed all around. But you are right, the catalog does show separate parts for the pads and shoes, which is what makes me wonder: How would you swap these pads? The manual doesn't say anything about this either.

Think you are mistaken. They slide in and out like always.
 

Similar threads