Campy (thumb) vs. SRAM (2 tap) vs. Shimano (2 lever)

JTE83 said:
when bike shops get them for $319 (saw their price book).

Please delete this. You shouldn't have seen it, and the public doesn't need to know. Please respect retail. The company sets the RRP.

bobbyOCR said:
And Campy have a much better crank design. If they made an alloy record UT, I'd be on it. Shimano cranks are a performance first, but looks second. SRAM just make **** cranks.

WHAT?!?! :eek:

I just purchased a SRAM Force crank, do you have any links to those "bad" reviews?

sideshow_bob said:
The one thing I like about the external cable route is you can slip a couple of inline barrel adjusters on the cable. If you use a neutral spare wheel for example a little tweak on the fly and you're running smooth.

--brett

But I've got barrel adjusters just behind my headtube, on the downtube.

JTE83 said:
I prefer Shimano, then Campy, then SRAM. I really hate the price of SRAM Force shifters at $569, when bike shops get them for $319 (saw their price book).

At first I was only a Shimano guy, but my CF Soloist came Campy and I stuck with it because it's costly to change. At least Campy is so blingy with its CF.

What a doofus. Do you provide the bike shop with a full and complete disclosure of your finances, spending, and etc so that they can evaluate your value as a customer? What? You don't?

Does anyone know where the "tool" emoticon is?

knonfs said:
WHAT?!?! :eek:

I just purchased a SRAM Force crank, do you have any links to those "bad" reviews?

SRAM, aka Truvativ, has had a chequered past with it's bottom brackets. I'm not sure what else he's refering to.

sideshow_bob said:
The one thing I like about the external cable route is you can slip a couple of inline barrel adjusters on the cable. If you use a neutral spare wheel for example a little tweak on the fly and you're running smooth.
A couple of inline barrel adjusters? :eek:

Seriously, Campag nor SRAM setups don't stop you from putting in barrel adjusters. Just at a different location that's all.

alienator said:
But I've got barrel adjusters just behind my headtube, on the downtube.
Do you mean you've got inline adjusters on the cable or you've got adjusters on the frame cable stops?

A lot of frames today with internal cable routes on the downtube don't have cable stops, simply a hole in the frame, my Cervelo Solist as an example, so it's either in lines or nothing.

You can, I know put in line adjusters on the exposed cable (for Campag/SRAM) anywhere between the cable exit on the bars and the cable stop / route on the downtube, but my personal feeling is it looks a bit **** that way, and it's not as easily accessible as simply being right next to the cable exit on the STI.

--brett

alienator said:
SRAM, aka Truvativ, has had a chequered past with it's bottom brackets. I'm not sure what else he's refering to.
That's primarily the reason. And the fact that for the retail price of the crankset, you can get lighter, stiffer options for the same if not cheaper. They are just lacking behind in the performance areea of cranksets. I know they are good, but not great.

They don't have the looks of Campy, or the Q-Factor

They don't have the performance of DA.

They are heavier than both.

I hope Red cranks are better.

sogood said:
A couple of inline barrel adjusters? :eek:

Seriously, Campag nor SRAM setups don't stop you from putting in barrel adjusters. Just at a different location that's all.
pfft. Who needs barrel adjusters. I've got 1 on my RD, and thats it.

bobbyOCR said:
But without a barrel adjuster of some form at the front, you can't exactly adjust the cable tension whilst riding. No, I didn't think you have such a long right arm... :p

bobbyOCR said:
i think generally if you aren't racing that they aren't required (though they are a nice luxary in setting the cable tension on the fd). you simply stop and adjust as necessary and off you go again (if it's required at all on the road).

i find i do enough crit racing where neutral spares are provided on the start/finish line or road racing where a spares van follows the main bunch where if you flat you dig your spare out of the trailer and get on your way again, that they are of benefit. the thought of rolling say another 100km with a rear derailleur that is not in tune and slowly driving me crazy isn't altogether appealing. i know other riders who it doesn't seem to bother one iota. so ymmv.

--brett

bobbyOCR said:
That's primarily the reason. And the fact that for the retail price of the crankset, you can get lighter, stiffer options for the same if not cheaper. They are just lacking behind in the performance areea of cranksets. I know they are good, but not great.

They don't have the looks of Campy, or the Q-Factor

They don't have the performance of DA.

They are heavier than both.

I hope Red cranks are better.

And they certainly aren't Claviculas.........did I mention that I love my Claviculas? Why as I type, they're calling to me and forcing me to leer at their mud covered sexiness.

Truvativ has also had some finish issues with their products.

If I couldn't buy another set of Claviculas, I'd be hard pressed not to buy a set of the new Record cranks......well, at least until LEW released the cranks they're contemplating........

sideshow_bob said:
Do you mean you've got inline adjusters on the cable or you've got adjusters on the frame cable stops?

A lot of frames today with internal cable routes on the downtube don't have cable stops, simply a hole in the frame, my Cervelo Solist as an example, so it's either in lines or nothing.

I've got the adjusters on the cable stops, of course. Still, it wouldn't keep me from using Campy.....like when I get my Look 595 maybe......I could just unclip from my left pedal, swing the ol left leg over to the right, balance on the right pedal, and bend and twist to the left so that I could twiddle the adjuster at the RD. Simple!:D

bobbyOCR said:
Agree, I've got no barrel adjusters or downtube adjusters on my bike either. RD's come with them, and they're hardly needed on the front. I've adjusted my FD tension a total of once, at around 600 miles, and the bike's got almost 15K miles now.

alienator said:
And they certainly aren't Claviculas.........did I mention that I love my Claviculas? Why as I type, they're calling to me and forcing me to leer at their mud covered sexiness.

Truvativ has also had some finish issues with their products.

If I couldn't buy another set of Claviculas, I'd be hard pressed not to buy a set of the new Record cranks......well, at least until LEW released the cranks they're contemplating........
God I'm looking forward to them. NACA profile crankarms?

If I wanted the best cranks in the world, I'd buy Claviculas as well, but right now, that $1500 would go towards wheels/DA cranks.

And the new DA carbon prototype has one of the ugliest left arms in a crankset.

sogood said:
But without a barrel adjuster of some form at the front, you can't exactly adjust the cable tension whilst riding. No, I didn't think you have such a long right arm... :p
Barrel adjusters on the cable housing are a terrible curse - they always shorten with time, screwing the indexing and requiring daily adjustment. I've locked mine in the shortest position and will remove it the next time I replace the derailleur cable.

bobbyOCR said:
Campy is good, but they all have their positives. For SRAM it is definitely the lever shape, ingenious positioning system, but their shifting isn't a 'wow' change.
Bobby, is the SRAM left shifter indexed (a la Shimano), or does it just click a few stops and move the FD wherever you want (a la Campy)?

n

nerdag said:
Bobby, is the SRAM left shifter indexed (a la Shimano), or does it just click a few stops and move the FD wherever you want (a la Campy)?

n
Indexed. No trim. Not that a well set up FD should need it.

it would be nice to have though.

SRAM: please contact THM to design a crankset, that won't necessarily kill a budget, but something a with an edge over competition.

Campy style the front shifter (I think they are improving this)

Make the lever surface for the shifters more grippy (problems with wet fingers and hard rides)

Make it look less ****.