Campy Titanium Cassette Problems

idb

Sep 20, 2003
I bought a used Campy Titanium Cassette on ebay. The guy claimed 200 miles on this cassette. In fact it shows very little wear and works fine as long as the bike are on the stand. As soon as I ride on them, they skip no matter on which cog I am. I tried installing this cassette twice (two different mechnics) but the results were the same. Any idea what going on?

Thanks
IDB

I have the same problem with a new cog but have yet to take it in for reajustment. LBS mechanic said i also need a campy chain rather than shimano... this could be the problem.

idb said:
I bought a used Campy Titanium Cassette on ebay. The guy claimed 200 miles on this cassette. In fact it shows very little wear and works fine as long as the bike are on the stand. As soon as I ride on them, they skip no matter on which cog I am. I tried installing this cassette twice (two different mechnics) but the results were the same. Any idea what going on?

Thanks
IDB

How much wear is on your chain? You should check out the Park Tools site. It'll give you the beta on determining cassette wear:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp .

You could also check the Campy website to see what they recommend as far as cassette wear goes:
http://www.campagnolo.com/home.php .

As far as the chain goes....they've all got the same pitch, so whether it's Campy, Shimano, or whatever doesn't really matter. Some run quieter than others, and 10s cassettes need a more narrow chain.....

Do you have all the spacer rings in the right order? The spacers between the big cog carriers on the high end are not interchangible with each other eventhough it is phyisically possible to install them out of order. Having them out of order would cause the spacing between the cogs to be off, and the chain to skip.

Chuck731 said:
Do you have all the spacer rings in the right order? The spacers between the big cog carriers on the high end are not interchangible with each other eventhough it is phyisically possible to install them out of order. Having them out of order would cause the spacing between the cogs to be off, and the chain to skip.

I see your point. Indeed the spacers are not identical. They are all the same diameter, and yet, as they are arranged now, the one between 23 and 21 is a ring of 1mm or so when looking from the side, and 2mm when looking from above.

The one between 19 and 17 is also 1 mm when looking from the side, but even wider at 3mm or so.

The one between 16 and 15 is 2 mm from the side and 1 mm from above.

The ones between 15 and 14 AND 14 to 13 are also 2 mm from the side and 1 mm from above.

The one between 12 to 11 is built into the 12 cog, and thus can not be removed or replaced.

Any further help will be appreciated.

Thanks

idb said:

Thanks
IDB

I'm so surprised, a problem with CAMPY - oh no. CAMPY users respond to your fellow cyclist! Sorry I can't offer any solution. I just had to jump on this one because CAMPY users always raz me on Shimino.

kspangler said:
I'm so surprised, a problem with CAMPY - oh no. CAMPY users respond to your fellow cyclist! Sorry I can't offer any solution. I just had to jump on this one because CAMPY users always raz me on Shimino.

Ah, don't worry. I am sure this is not a problem with Campy. You will see that at the end this will end up as a cogs configuration issue ..... :)

Alignment of the RD hanger can cause the type of problem. If nothing else corrects the problem have the LBS check that.

Likewise, if this were a Shimano issue, you'd have to replace half the drivetrain to fix an issue with one tiny part.
tongue.gif

Check the spacing according to Branford Bike:
http://branfordbike.com/cassette/cog19.html#item4
Should provide all the assembly information you need!

Is the chain correctly aligned when on the fourth sprocket when in 4th gear? This I have found to be important!

Does the chain have a stiff link? - can also throw it off cogs!

Good luck