Campy Triomphe Rear Derailleur

p38lightning

Apr 19, 2004
I have a 1983 Bianchi with Nuovo Grandsport rear derailleur, and friction shift, which originally had a 6 speed freewheel. I am now using an 8 speed Campy C Record freehub with a 12-23 cassette. The Grandsport derailleur shifts O.K. into all but the combinations which you should never use (big-big, small-small). It can however be a bit difficult to nail each sprocket when shifting especially in the middle sprockets.

I have just acquired a mid 80s Campy Triomphe (slightly cruder version of Victory) rear derailler. Were these designed to be used with 8 speed cassettes? Do you thinks that this would be a good upgrade and potentially improve shifting accuracy?

alfeng

Jul 23, 2005
p38lightning said:
I have a 1983 Bianchi with Nuovo Grandsport rear derailleur, and friction shift, which originally had a 6 speed freewheel. I am now using an 8 speed Campy C Record freehub with a 12-23 cassette. The Grandsport derailleur shifts O.K. into all but the combinations which you should never use (big-big, small-small). It can however be a bit difficult to nail each sprocket when shifting especially in the middle sprockets.

I have just acquired a mid 80s Campy Triomphe (slightly cruder version of Victory) rear derailler. Were these designed to be used with 8 speed cassettes? Do you thinks that this would be a good upgrade and potentially improve shifting accuracy?
I doubt the Triomphe rear derailleur will provide better shifting than the Gran Sport rear derailleur ...

I'm surprised you can manage 8-speeds with the Gran Sport!

If you want to improve the shifting on your Bianchi AND if you aren't trying to maintain a Campy Only bike, then buy any 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur + some indexed, 8-speed Shimano downtube shifters ... OR, buy some 10-speed Campagnolo (non-QS) shifters (which will index with the fore mentioned 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur & yield 8-speed Shimano OR 8-speed Campagnolo indexing).

I was going to suggest that because you already have the Triomph rear derailleur that you may as well try it because all you would lose would be the time to make the swap(s) ... but, I'm pretty sure it would be time lost UNLESS you also wanted to change the rear derailleur for cosmetic reasons.

Dec 30, 2007
p38lightning said:

They will work fine with friction shifters and will also span 8 speeds. It may be more precise because it's newer, with tighter pivot points, etc.